Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Club 40 Comes to the Columbia River Gorge

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 Comes to the Columbia River Gorge

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM
plowboy1966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club 40 Comes to the Columbia River Gorge

Hello there speed freaks. We are considering adding Club 40 to our long running Club 20 monthly race day in an attempt to attract more club members to racing. Our club 20 racers are all scratch built so even some who would like to join us cannot. We are going with the novice class and the OS .46 LA at first. We currently do a flying start. Is that acceptable in this class or do we need to use holders and release two by two? Where are the rules for actually conducting the race. If they are on the RCPRO website I missed them. Although that would not be a huge surprise. All I saw were airframe and engine stuff with the AMA setback regs. Also, any prop recommendations for the OS .46 LA are appreciated.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Ken Erickson

Default RE: Club 40 Comes to the Columbia River Gorge

Plowboy,

Yes, even though I, personally, prefer the two and two (or 2 and one) ROG start, you can check out the air start procedures in the Warbird Racing rules on the RCPRO website. When we started this, we used the AMA Pylon Regulations, just used all that part that did not refer to those specific airplanes and engines. Oldbob, when he joined the committee pointed out to us that we did not have complete rules. We have been compiling the pertinent points to correct that.

However, these planes, if the tailwheel is straight with the rudder and straight with the fin, take off straight. None of the tail-dragger torque or P-factor. I have let total newbies take off (buddy-box) by just holding the transmitter and moving nothing but throwing the throttle stick wide open. (While I run mine with a touch of down trim, the buddy-box had a touch of up, of course)

For now, read the addendum to the AMA pylon regs. Of course, as you have been having races, you probably know how to conduct a race. Most of us are using the AMA scoring system. Some are using the Warbird scoring system. Some are making up something else.

As to props, on the bushing, air-bleed carb engines, I really like the APC 11 X 4. One could probably go faster with something else, but the thrust is terrific. Really gets off the ground quick, pulls hard out of the turns, goes straight up for a long time, does big, beautiful manuevers. Or, you can do what we have done and let them use any commercially available prop ( read AMA regs 7.5, sorry, already in the allowed mods) and let it settle out. But they surely do fly well with that prop.

Please let us know where you are and the name of your club. Also, contact, info would be good. When people ask us about races in their/your area, we can tell them about you.

Ken Erickson
RCPRO Club 40 Committee Chairman
812-418-8124
[email protected]

Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 PM
plowboy1966

Thanks Ken! PM inbound.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 AM
maxvertical

Just a heads up that our group down here in Central Oregon is gearing up for Club 40 in the 2010 season. So far there are 12 committed flyers with more probably to follow. If this gets off the ground like our club officers would like to see, we'd be interested in hosting club 40 racing here in Bend. Might be something our two groups could get going.
Keep in touch on how things go.

Thanks
Chris aka MaxVertical
Bend Aero Modelers, Bend Oregon