Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Science and education

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Science and education

How are we/you/they promoting the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation?
For the sake of argument, we will assume (right or wrong) insurance, the activity of flying and teaching flying as well as chartering autonomous clubs doesn't count.
Please be specific as to whether the activity is done through Muncie, clubs or individual(s).

For example, Muncie offers AeroLab on DVD. Co-written by Gordon Schimmel, Ed.D with the generous support of the Alcoa Foundation, it is a great way of using aircraft modeling to teach math, physics and aerodynamics.

Edit: changed first sentence due to misinterpretations of intent of thread.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
KidEpoxy

Default RE: Science and education

well,
on the AMA's BBS we had a very scientific discussion in the [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/forums/tm.aspx?&m=607&mpage=1]Science in the Academy[/link] thread
analyzing what material tests and evaluations go into banning materials for use in propellers

no need to get into particular who said what here,
anyone interested in the discussion can just use the link
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps that discussion on props would have had some validity if you considered the difficulties the full size metal prop makers have in getting a prop qualified for a general aviation aircraft. On some prop/engine combination's that have even been released, there are restrictions on rpm's that need to be avoided for continuous operation so the prop won't shed a blade or part of a blade. There are also restrictions to changing the blade length over a certain amount to avoid setting up problems from engine firing impulse harmonics. Wood and composites tend to dampen out these problems.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
KidEpoxy

I'm not here to talk about propellers,
I'm here to talk about Talking About Science (and or education)
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not quite sure what this thread is about.
How does ANYONE promote S&E?
Since most people need to be forced or enticed [by money] to have the desire to learn anything technical...promotion needs to be done through the school systems.
Since very few are destined to become aeronautical engineers, the schools would need quite a sales job to recognize the program's value as a general education tool.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
dbcisco
Banned

We have over 1000 high school students who request to come to our school to learn.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
dbcisco
Banned

My students create 3-D planes from 3-views for use in an RC-Sim to teach them 3-D modeling and an introduction to physics for programers. I use the RCU review guide and templates to help teach web design and support. We also started a joint project with drafting, manufcturing and graphics arts to design and make profile 3-D planes (on a CNC cutter) with advertising paint schemes on them.

I also let them know where the LHSs are.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Note promoting science and education aspects of modeling do not have to have anything to do with careers involving aircraft. Mathematics and measurement (ad infinitum) are needed by quite a few careers.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

How does anyone promote the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation?
For the sake of argument, we will assume (right or wrong) insurance, the activity of flying and teaching flying as well as chartering autonomous clubs doesn't count.
Please be specific as to whether the activity is done through Muncie, clubs or individual(s).

For example, Muncie offers AeroLab on DVD. Co-written by Gordon Schimmel, Ed.D with the generous support of the Alcoa Foundation, it is a great way of using aircraft modeling to teach math, physics and aerodynamics.
dbcisco did you not just answer your topic question, "How does anyone promote the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation?"

AMA provides a base - not mandate, not required to be used, etc., etc., but AMA does provide a base of information and tools for individuals, clubs, and groups to use when they need to use such. That upper level is there for others to use so AMA does ".... promote the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation." "Educational" can cover anything from how to remove the parts from a kit to the final employment of a turbine, how to set up a club and a number of things that seem simple to many, yet these forums prove the simple things are not always simple. Scientific can include anything from the use of glues to the calculus of flight paths, convergent versus divergent airflow, and "umpteen" other subjects.

When you get in your car to go somewhere, you most likely have several roads/routes to use. YOU - not the government - DETERMINE which road/route you care to use, yet the government provided those alternatives, even though they used your tax dollars to do so. Likewise, AMA provides various levels of tools and information for an individual, or a club, or a group to use although they used member dues to do so.

When organizations and/or individuals make and provide these units to have and make use of, then the former is also promoting the activity through those that are presenting it to lower levels. In all reality AMA does a lot of this through the membership and chartered clubs.

I am a major critic of AMA administration, however I do believe strongly in the need, the worth, and overall programs of the AMA as provided for the full members, clubs, competition programs, and original Bylaws' Objectives of AMA. OTOH, in my basic opinion, there are enough items that need correcting, just like another very important "organization" we deal with each day. [:@] Unless one just has some personal vendetta to find faults that may well not exist, I suggest we deal with the real ones. [sm=devious.gif]
Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Removed off topic response to off topic post
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All ready in 10 posts this thread has gone from ,to promote education, to AMA 501 (c) (3) status and ama documents and mission statements. Do the rest of you people see where this is going or is it only me. joe
Old 09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: joebahl

All ready in 10 posts this thread has gone from ,to promote education, to AMA 501 (c) (3) status and documents . Do the rest of you people see where this is going or is it only me. joe
Nope, I think most people are catching on to what the deal is. You are not alone.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM
joebahl

Thank you i thought i was loosing it for a second and no one else was paying attention to the game . joe
Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: joebahl

All ready in 10 posts this thread has gone from ,to promote education, to AMA 501 (c) (3) status and documents . Do the rest of you people see where this is going or is it only me. joe
Nope, I think most people are catching on to what the deal is. You are not alone.
The sanity level rises quite a bit when you block just one user.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM
joebahl

I am not blocking any one ,just stating my thoughts abought where this is going . do you have a thought on this ? joe
Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
KidEpoxy

Do the rest of you people see where this is going or is it only me.
The last sentence of Hoss' post
addressed the justifications of Ciscos discussion subject
... to which Cisco then justified why he took up that subject

Dont get mad at a guy responding to folks more focused on WHY he is discussing a subject
than they are on discussing the subject.

To Wit, some such folks:
Joe, it seems you came here to talk about Cisco,
and not so much, if at all, to talk about Science and Education.

just stating my thoughts abought where this is going
instead of worrying about where its ghoing,
if you just would talk about where it started
it wouldnt 'go' anywhere

Science & Ed
Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
dbcisco
Banned

The original question is not rhetorical. I have edited the first sentence in an effort to make it clear.
If you don't have anything to contribute as to promoting science or education, please don't take the thread off-topic.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM
joebahl

No but when it go s from education to mission statments and all the rest it will be the last thread over and over again . I tell you what i will not post the rest of this thread . but if it goes the way i think it will . you wont post on the next one. deal. oh i thought hoss was a great post and answered all of what needed to be said . joe
Old 09-19-2010, 04:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

The original question is not rhetorical. I have edited the first sentence in an effort to make it clear.
Not going to get into the AMA, IRS or anything else. That has nothing to do with the question.
If you don't have anything to contribute as to promoting science or education, don't take the thread off-topic.

As stated by the OP this thread has nothing to do with the AMA, therefore Iam moving the thread to The Clubhouse Forum.

Ken
Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 AM
safeTwire

Good move Ken!

Each and every aspect of model aviation oozes science!

Dynamics of flight, aircraft and all their components, the atmosphere, ie; A multitude of subjects into which further study provides adventure!

IMO, desire to learn about any particular subject, lies within. Therefore, To build, operate and freely answer (when asked) questions about any model to the best of our ability, is a good means to possibly spark that interest in the young and curious mind!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
dbcisco
Banned

What does model aircraft have to do with education and science?

Our state's (and several other's) vocational teachers have to "align" their curriculum to state and national standards in Language, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
Now where does an Auto Mechanic or Cosmetology teacher have that in their lessons?
Everywhere. I won't get into details but the same thing can occur in model aviation.
Teaching someone to read instructions for installing a BL ESC for example involves Language, Math and Science.
If you are interested look at the [link=http://www.corestandards.org/the-standards]national standards[/link] and as you read them you will hopefully be saying "I/we teach that".
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 AM
robinsonye
Banned

i was confused about this thread.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get asked about 3 times a year to do a club presentation on RC or flight in general. Sometimes its just a 20 minute display and talk in a gym, sometimes its an outside event. About a week and a half back we participated in Sience Night at a local elementary school. There was our club, some hot air balloons, and hang gliders along with activities for the kids like paper cup parachutes and whirly gigs (stick with a propeller). That was just the stuff I saw outside. Didnt get to the inside booths. Our booth had display planes, helis, jets, brochures of our club, a flight sim, an easel with explainations on lift and so on. We had a turbine and we started it to let the crowd see how far the hobby has progressed. We also cordened off a flight area for my micro cub and small electric heli. We explained how a jet engine worked. But most of all, the flight sim stole the show for the whole event. There was a long line for that. It was top rated in the survey afterwards. We'll need two next year. Sometimes we bring the school to the field for flight demos and hotdogs. We dont really do buddy box time because of the number of kids. It would take a long time for the number of trainers we had. We've talked about having 4 trainers up in the air at once and giving kids about 2 minutes on the buddy box. We could probably knock it out in about 30 minutes.
Edwin
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Wow Edwin. That is fantastic. Those kids will remember that I 'm sure.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What Ihave done, in the past, was to volunteer when a local Explorer post approached our club looking for help in building and flying R/C. In a six-week program four adults helped 15 youngens assemble four Sig LT-40s and then fly them. The models w/ engine & radio were then given to four of the Explorers whose names were picked from a hat. It was a wonderfully rewarding project and Iwish my current club did such things.

Not too long ago Ihad the opportunituy (read that: "restructured" out of a job and despirate for work) to teach at a career college. Iwas teaching Accounting and Economics to business students, but also Itaught a Business Math class for our up and coming nursing students and was astounded that high-school graduates lacked the ability to add numbers using a calculator. Ihad one girl who was up into the billions of units because she had completed a page with 12 problems and had never cleared the calculator. The scary thing is the problems were something like: "Bob earns $500 and pays $127 in taxes and has $25 withheld for his retirement plan. How much is his take-home pay?" $2,705,620,618.75 And although they are not the actual amounts it was a similar scale of values (it was 2.something billion on a take-home of less than $1,000 - that much I do remember). Am I worried about who is building the airplanes? Yes. But I am more worried at who is administering my medicine doasge. I tried, I stayed late, I mentored, I got all but one through. It was Way more work than Iwas being paid for. Bless the world's good teachers - it must be a calling.

Would life had been better all around if that poor girl had a parent (or even better, two) who took the time to read to her and occasionally get her to a library when she was three to eight? Oh yes. But when Ma is working two jobs and still can't pay the rent and water bill,Dad is three states awayand big 'sis isfull-time cartaker of 'lil sis, there isn't much hope of breaking that cycle.

God bless those who make an effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.