Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 05:26 PM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Nitro/Janet

Originally posted by NitroWoman
By the way, Janet, Get used to it. I've been proposed to numerous times, I'm still waiting for the best and final offer.

Let the bidding begin...

I'll offer a full carat, high quality diamond;
I'll leave all toilet seats down;
I'll take you out or make you dinner at least once a week;
I'll take you on vacation to a different country every two years;

... and I'll throw in two gallons of glow fuel.

- George

P.S. My wife will have to approve the transaction
Old 08-07-2003, 09:13 PM
JanetC

Default Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Okay Nitro..as for me...they would have to be my radio boy....install all my servos and electronics.....No Glow fuel. did I mention buy all of my kits, recievers, etc. And clean the house once a week while I go flying ?.......
Old 08-08-2003, 12:18 AM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

haha, this thread is funny....

Being a teen RC flying female...I don't see why more gals are in this hobby either. I mean there are so many fun things to do in R/C. I not only fly but I have a R/C monster truck and enjoy tweaking with that too.

As it has been said before, many women have other things that they are interested in/have to do. Most women as with some men just do not have an interest in mechanical things or working with their hands and therefore aren't interested in R/C or do not know about it. Most of the girls I know don't even know what R/C is!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:40 AM
mrjones30

Default Hmmmm

Well Janet you have all of these requirements what are you going to give in return? Inquiring minds want to know?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:45 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey ChixwithTrix, We just checked out your site, you have some real NICE planes. WOW!!!!

To MustangFan with butt crack , I hope girls like Chix show up at your field, they would really rock your world hee hee.

Well, back to working on my "personals" column for my "er" friend.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:58 AM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah, Thanks! Its too bad I can't update my site anymore beacause I forgot my password and other login info . I have some nice pics of newer planes and happenings. Guess I'll just have to make a new site and put a link to my old one on it.

Speaking of the types of flying fields and members that women wouldn't like to vist...my club have very civil members and pretty good facilities. There are a few wives that have tried to fly, none have soloed yet though.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:02 AM
JanetC

Thats a great site you have there Chix...thanks...Monster Trucks too huh?.......cool...

re: requirements? Well, I better bring that part of my thread in for a landing Mr. Jones.....
Old 08-08-2003, 01:13 AM
mrjones30

Default Janet: Hmmmm just as I thought

Well, as the original author of this thread it's a pleasure to see that there really are woman out there flying. Quite honestly there are no women at my flying site but after hearing some of the ladies postings on here it's a breath of fresh air. I'm glad that there are some and I look forward to more....I can't wait.

PS Congrats ladies for thinking outside the box and I look forward to sharing the flying field with all of you.....
Old 08-08-2003, 01:14 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

I have not read all the posts here, but........ Any of the ladies wanting to get into this hobby are welcome ( a dream come true). Janet and Nitro........ Why do you have to live so far away?

Romeo :cry:
Old 08-08-2003, 02:45 PM
john316

Okay Nitro..as for me...they would have to be my radio boy....install all my servos and electronics.....No Glow fuel. did I mention buy all of my kits, recievers, etc. And clean the house once a week while I go flying ?.......

hmmmm............. sounds vaguely like my last girlfriend.... I did all the work and she had all the fun. Ciao!

JMW

Old 08-08-2003, 03:19 PM
scottrc

Hey, I 'd gladly spend all the time it takes setting up my lady's plane then spending hours in the shopping mall looking for sales on shoes and underwear.

-You never know shear loneliness until you open the door of the dressing room, and wearing something that no other man would be caught dead in, you peer out and look only to find your significant other, who had pressured you into wearing this ungodly article of clothing in the first place, at the other end of the store, calling your name and waving like she's in the Fourth of July parade."
Yet you experience a feeling of companionship when you look over your left shoulder, and standing in the dressing room next to your's is the club president. He is wearing the exact same shirt as you, except his has the little bunnies embroidered on the lapel. His wife is standing next to yours and she is calling him by his pet name.

Sometimes, you gotta take her out and fly.......................
Old 08-08-2003, 04:22 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Scott,
Next you gonna tell us about your dream when your at school and suddenly realize your naked?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:40 PM
john316

[quote]
Hey Scott,
Next you gonna tell us about your dream when your at school and suddenly realize your naked?
__________________________________________________ __

This thread has definitely taken a turn for the bizarre.......whatever happened to talking about airplanes?

All I really need is chocolate.............but a little love now and then doesn't hurt
Old 08-08-2003, 05:53 PM
scottrc

John,

Don't worry,

We're still talking about airplanes, and women, and dreams, and nakedness, and....................................

Dreams about naked women flying airplanes.

I think I would have been fine until BB brought up the naked bit. LOL.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:45 AM
wiggles

OH GOD!!!!!!! The blokes at my field would go BLIND!
Old 08-09-2003, 11:05 AM
nascarjoe

Getting back to the original topic here, there are several reasons that there aren't more women in this hobby/sport. One being the same reason there aren't more young people. Then there is the fact that AMA's ranks seem to hover around 170,000. Simply put, for every women, man, or young person brought in, someone will have to train them. Most, if not all veteran pilots must admit that giving flight training is definitely not on the top of their priority list.

Ask a lady if she would like to fly and she will be determined to not do so. If she declines, chances are she will not be asked again. I've found that if I persist, I can get women to fly, even if it's only for a few seconds. Funny thing, after those few seconds of flying, suddenly they get a bit more interested. The main reason women refuse to fly is that women suffer from the same malady as anyone else, meaning fear of the unknown and fear of failure. With men who decline, one only has to insinuate that he's a wimp for not trying.

Their first "reason" women refuse to even take the sticks is she claimes to be "not interested". Who says one has to be interested to just take the sticks for a few seconds? If she is already out to the field and the plane is in the air, how much of a sacrifice is there to just fly for a few seconds, even if it's just to see why it seems to be such an obsession with men?

I continue to hear from women that flying RC planes is a "man thing". I guess then, it must be the same for flying full scale airplanes. One then must question the womenness (if there is such a word) of female airline and military pilots. During the last Middle Eastern conflict, I saw a cute little lady being interviewed after her last mission. Turns out that she is an F-16 fighter pilot. Now what is she doing flying F-16s since it must surely be a "man" thing only?

nascarjoe
Old 08-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Pjtg0707

Originally posted by nascarjoe

I continue to hear from women that flying RC planes is a "man thing". I guess then, it must be the same for flying full scale airplanes. One then must question the womenness (if there is such a word) of female airline and military pilots. During the last Middle Eastern conflict, I saw a cute little lady being interviewed after her last mission. Turns out that she is an F-16 fighter pilot. Now what is she doing flying F-16s since it must surely be a "man" thing only?

nascarjoe
Flying is not a geek thing, but RC is a geek thing.

As far as women fighter pilots go...I am not surprised at all. US Air Force has a max height requirement for fighter pilots. Most US males would not be able to fit inside of a F16 cockpit easily. Women are lighter, smaller and generally have lower blood pressure than their male counterparts, thus making them able to take higher G stress than males. Alot of the T34 and T38 jet trainer instructors are women. If you have been or are a fighter jock, chances are real good that you will have a woman instructor somewhere alone the line.