Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

in the doldrums, what to do??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

in the doldrums, what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in the doldrums, what to do??

Been flying around 5 yrs & building 4. I taught myself how to fly & have always enjoyed just getting to the airfield & cruising around in the sky. I never have been a 3Der. Just blasting around "sport flying." I've built quite a few kits, had a few ARFs, & built from plans ( my favorite) I've found myself just loosing interest in flying as well as building. I usually go through 4 or 5 gallons of fuel a summer, this yr I did less than 1. Have not built in 2 yrs. Two yrs ago we lost a very close flying buddy to a car crash. ( There was 5 of us that flew together at least twice a week. I think the other guys kinda feel the same way. Our club is suffering also, as we were the main organizers of about anything done. If the field needed maintinence, we did it, set up for a flyin, we did it. The last meeting we had, there was 5 people that showed up. ( the meeting was to elect new officers.) Kinda sad!! We have 30 members, & one of the best grass fields in the area. What can we do to get everything turned around?? PS the club is in Indiana & I'm in Florida for the winter
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: in the doldrums, what to do??

I found myself getting bored with flying and took up IMAC last year. I'm completely revitalized. The competitions are fun and it gives purpose to your flying. Get a few others in the club interested and practice together.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

I tried to go back and edit my post for the typo in IMAC but the the system only displays the first few characters of the post. What the H is wrong with this site in the last few weeks.
I fixed the typo. RCU was moved to new servers last week and there are still a few bugs.

As to the question, I can totally relate. Our club suffers from the same thing. One thing that really helps is getting more people on board. My club does a variety of things in the winter. A few of the best are:

Have a Mall Show: Contact the best Mall in your area and ask them to set a Saturday aside for your club to display your airplanes. Malls are usually more than willing to let non-profits in. It generates more traffic for them. Have lots of planes on display, a few magazines and catalogs, and lots of flyers to hand out telling about the club and the sport in general.

Hold Adult Night Classes: You have to be careful with this one. We did it once and the response was overwhelming - litterally! We got so many people in the class that we couldn't train them all! Limit the class to 3 or 4 people and hopefully 1 or 2 will stick with it. Di it each year and you can grow a club quickly. And like Malls, Schools are always looking for adult night classes to offer!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't already: try teaching, it is really a neat thing and helps your own flying. Just be carefull and don't get so tied up in it you forget to live your own life . ( I know )

Get with your buddies and set up a time when just you guys get togeather and horass each others flying ( in fun ), it can also be a bull session time. It might lead to other things. We have some guys that do some slow pylon racing with electrics and it is a good change. We spend more time teasing each other than flying.

Find a new person that wants to learn and spend time helping them ~~ away from the field building, repairing etc. you may gain a new buddy for your group. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I'm with K-Bob. I started flying IMAC 2 years ago and I just can't get enough. Gives you a purpose when you go to the field.