Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Top Flite P-51

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 PM
stroker280
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-51

Hello Gang
New here on the board. Just joined the other night. After many years of racing the R/C boats I've decided to get back into planes and park the boats for good. Opinions needed. Thinking about getting the Top Flite 1/5 scale. Got a DA-50 to put on something and right now like the scale planes especially the warbirds. Any information appreciated on this kit.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-51

Jeff,

I would invite you to post in the "Warbirds" and/or the "Scale" forums lower down the main page. This forum is for full scale aircraft (as in man carrying, not models) and does not see near as much traffic as the other forums do.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 AM
stroker280
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Chad. I went and got on the right page hopefully.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hi Chad. Off topic, but I think I have "spoken" to you before. I'm curious about the contra-rotating prop plane on your signature. Is it the Fischer? You can reply to [email protected]. Lee
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Lee,

Yes we have spoken in the past regarding retracts but I don't remember the circumstances any longer. I used to have a set of your 1/4 scale Staggerwing retracts and it may have been related to those. Very nice gear by the way!

The airplane in my Avatar is a Spitfire Mk.XIX which was restored by the Planes of Fame museum in California and fitted with a Rolls Royce Griffon and contra-prop set up out of an Avro Shackleton. Apparently the stock 5-bladed Rotol propellors are very hard to come by and just the prop alone cost more than the entire engine/prop package from the Shackleton! According to pilot Steve Hinton the museum had plans to try and use the Spit to establish some time-to-climb records but, alas, it has been sold on to an operator in France and has been refitted with the stock engine and propellor. Mr. Hinton told me that, due to the lack of torque, it was the only Griffon powered Spit that you could lay the hammer to from a dead stop. With the stock prop their is not enough rudder to keep the bird from rolling over until sufficient airspeed is reached well after take-off. Here is a better pic of the Spit before it was returned to stock condition.