Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Lazy
and why build a kit for your self when you can get some one else to do it for you or buy an ARF[] I had better leave it at that
Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
abelard

Sorry, but just can't resist this...

I think alot of people today would like to THINK
I think a lot of people THINK that "alot" is a word...;-)
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I make that mistake a lot.
Problem is, it doesn't look too bad to my eye when I see [alot] in print.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I love to fly but if I could not build I really do not believe I would be in this hobby.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM
combatpigg

Hairy..if a guy from Wyoming is too helpless to build his own stuff..what's he going to do..?

Become a useless "Mall Rat" with all the tattoos and the sideways baseball cap..?....
Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I build everything and would not be in the hobby if there were only Arfs. Having to drive 30-65 miles min. to fly is bad enough and I could not even imagine the hobby without building what I fly.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:39 PM
combatpigg

I think this is what makes model aviation not just a "pass time" or a sport...but a true hobby of mine.
Some would say that drinking store bought beer is their "hobby", where others who brew their own beer from home grown ingredients can only do face palms and roll their eyes in pity.
No kidding..there is a whole seperate culture that considers buying store bought beer a hobby...!
I guess they could also list buying yogurt, bread and sour cream hobbies as well....
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 PM
warbird addict

Thats lackingly comical just pointing out that some of us are responsible for our own well being and in addition to working an overly full schedule we still have the added resposibility of taking care of our own homelife and all of the resposibilty it entails, quite the obvious is in fact the truth in that the BLABBER as you LABEL it is coming from your mouth and yours alone in yet another outwardly feeble attempt to blow your own horn which is far less than flattering and quite predictable considering the source, Lincoln once said it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt , might be something for you to consider given your obviously one sided and selfish view of all things that do not abide by your mandate of how things should always be the way you think they should be done. Yet once again you have very feebly dodged my initial question in that how has your denigrating attitude promoted this hobby and or the promotion and resurection of the availabilty of KITS and that part of this hobby which you hold so dear in any way shape or form, i see you with lots of time to spare trying to run roughshot over everybody with a differing viewpoint purely by virtue of available time to do so, newsflash fer ya pal the birds don't wait for you to open your eyes in the morning before they sing , either adapt or get left behind wondering what the hell happened.
ONLY positive reinforcement and popular interest will shape this hobby , let me ask you once agin !!!! HOW have your actions and words had a POSITIVE impact on that , i'm no college scholar but a punch in the face does little to promote your cause and does very little to draw people into this hobby

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Good fer u I did laundry, vacumed the rug in the living room, fed myself and still managed to put a shot across your bow , all about priorities, see you at the field well that is if and when you find the time to show up when ur not building!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Typical.
He / She is reduced to nothing but blabber.
Funny how you seem so interested / worried about how I spend my time..when I could not really care less how you spend your's.
Regardless, have fun.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 PM
warbird addict

Aside from that I think you probably were beastfed till you were Like 45 and spent most of your time living in your mommy's basement, that scenario certainly would explain alot hypotheticly speaking of course, LMFAO I'm way past taking you even remotely serious anymore DUDE you need serious PROFESSIONAL HELP there cannot be any other explaination for it, Thanks for the laugh Piggy, I got it!!!!!!! your just trolling cuz there's no way in hell anybody that far out there can even be remotely serious, OK you Got me I took the bait LOL
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 PM
combatpigg

warbird addict, to answer your question about my contributions to scratch building/kit building, here goes.
Over the past 9 years I've probably [conservative estimate] submitted 30 build threads of scratch built designs and offered / mailed off many free, full sized plans in mailing tubes to scratch builders at RCU.
Mostly 1/2A models and a few .40 sized speed planes.
I've also organized 1/2A RC combat in this area and have hosted several building parties at my shop. We've logged hundreds of "combat hours" flying these planes..the planes that I spent a couple of years developing for quick, easy construction and low maintenance.
I "seeded" interest in this 1/2A RC combat by visiting RC clubs with 2 combat planes RTF and offering anyone interested a free chance to give it a try. The interest generated hasn't been overwhelming, but all it takes to fly combat is 2 or 3 guys on any given day.
I was the guy who negotiated with our municipal airport to provide space [and permission] for control line flying and have taken part in flying demos when the city holds what they call "City of Arlington Day". The flying area is right off a busy highway and over the years it has attracted a few guys into the hobby. Flyers from up to 50 miles away [even from Canada] come here regularly since suitable places to fly in the Puget Sound area have been scarce for several years now.
These are my contributions, however small they might seem to you.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 PM
combatpigg

Aside from that I think you probably were beastfed till you were Like 45 and spent most of your time living in your mommy's basement, that scenario certainly would explain alot hypotheticly speaking of course, LMFAO I'm way past taking you even remotely serious anymore DUDE you need serious PROFESSIONAL HELP there cannot be any other explaination for it, Thanks for the laugh Piggy, I got it!!!!!!! your just trolling cuz there's no way in hell anybody that far out there can even be remotely serious, OK you Got me I took the bait LOL
[I just thought I'd save this post before he sobers up and tries to delete it......]
Old 12-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Bill G

double post somehow?
Shouldn't much matter in this thread.
Since it's here however, I honestly found the forum to be more interesting when I joined, when there were more builds. I used to really enjoy things like watching someone bash a pusher jet into an EDF, as there were almost no park sized EDF jets. Those people really motivated me when I got started in rc flight.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: RCKen

It has been pointed out to me that there is very little in this thread that has to do with Beginners in our hobby. And I agree, this thread has nothing to do with Beginner's. Therefore I am moving the thread out of the Beginner's forum and placing it in The Clubhouse forum, which is a better place for this type of discussion to take place.

Ken
There's also very little in this thread that has anything to do with people's personal lives, concerning whether they live with family or not. There are a number of folks on this forum that live and care for older family members, and I had previously thought that nobody considered it to be pathetic. My cousin lived with his older parents all his life, and committed suicide two years ago shortly after Christmas, after his second parent passed away. His family was his life. I have no reason to take sides in people's personal spats, but I really don't care to come here and read this kind of stuff. If somebody doesn't care to hear the personal family comment that I just made, then I imagine that reinforces the point.

There is no bait that forces that reply.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
[I just thought I'd save this post before he sobers up and tries to delete it......]
Probably best to just leave it at the quote.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Stickbuilder

The most amazing thing is that it is considered perfectly normal and acceptable for those who only fly to make comments on how those of us who build are wasting our time, or some such, and how they are supposed to be able to fly better than those of us who do both, but let a builder cast a disparaging remark about those who only fly ARF's and the complaints to RCKen are flying. Looks like ARF models aren't the only thing that they fly.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 12-25-2012, 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The most amazing thing is that it is considered perfectly normal and acceptable for those who only fly to make comments on how those of us who build are wasting our time, or some such, and how they are supposed to be able to fly better than those of us who do both, but let a builder cast a disparaging remark about those who only fly ARF's and the complaints to RCKen are flying. Looks like ARF models aren't the only thing that they fly.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Go back and look at the first page of this thread, Stick.
The OP asks a perfectly reasonable question, and by the
second post, someone is already complaining about how
ARF's are bad for the hobby.
A few more posts, and ARF flyers are being called lazy.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:33 AM
lorenzofgrs
My Feedback: (-1)

Because they do not have to, unless, a few like to built them
Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can and do have literally dozens (about 42 in fact) RC model planes of all sizes and descriptions . This just wouldn't be possible if I had to stick build each one of em . I do have a couple I have built over the years , Hangar queens that never see the light of day , but my ARFs are my mainstay flyers
42 is a lot of model airplanes. But what I find interesting is the signature.

Buy American !
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

I can and do have literally dozens (about 42 in fact) RC model planes of all sizes and descriptions . This just wouldn't be possible if I had to stick build each one of em . I do have a couple I have built over the years , Hangar queens that never see the light of day , but my ARFs are my mainstay flyers
42 is a lot of model airplanes. But what I find interesting is the signature.

Buy American !

[8D] Yep , 42 are enough to occupy 2 bedrooms of a four bedroom house and still be tripping over the darned things .... I'm truly thinking of having some kind of "thinning the herd" sale to put some of em into the hands of those who will fly them .

And the signature , which changes occasionally , was put there in solidarity with some poor guy who was getting hammered over the whole US vs China manufacturing thing . Sure , I'll buy American when available , and when not I'll buy from whomever's product that looks like I can get it to do the job i intend for it . See , I can be both proud of my country and aware of the global economy at the same time .
Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 804

Bill, Waco Brother #1
There are both who argue over building planes or arfs but this thread is about building kits so if you only fly arfs why are they here. I used to build kits but i scratch build all of mine now ,even selling off most of my kits i once wanted to build and bought years ago. The ones who want to show up at a club field or a warbird fly in flying a shiny arf is up to them and most builders realy dont care one way or the other. I like to build and fly different looking planes that no one makes kits or a arf of because i like to be different than most. I run a construction company ,have 5 children and now 14 grandkids and have very little time to build or fly but i would rather eat bark than go fly a arf plane like ten others at my club field. joe
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: joebahl

ORIGINAL: 804

Bill, Waco Brother #1
There are both who argue over building planes or arfs but this thread is about building kits so if you only fly arfs why are they here. I used to build kits but i scratch build all of mine now ,even selling off most of my kits i once wanted to build and bought years ago. The ones who want to show up at a club field or a warbird fly in flying a shiny arf is up to them and most builders realy dont care one way or the other. I like to build and fly different looking planes that no one makes kits or a arf of because i like to be different than most. I run a construction company ,have 5 children and now 14 grandkids and have very little time to build or fly but i would rather eat bark than go fly a arf plane like ten others at my club field. joe
+1
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 AM

There are both who argue over building planes or arfs but this thread is about building kits so if you only fly arfs why are they here.
This thread is not" about building kits".
The OP's question is "Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?
Do you think only kit builders have the right to answer that question?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:49 AM
joebahl

Do you think a guy who likes buying arfs knows why he has never tried to build a kit ?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Actually the most amazing thing was that the entire thread was going fairly smooth until you through that trash out there about how lazy the ARF guys are... Now I see your here to stir the pot once again. Hey, by the way, did you ever finish that ARF fused Ryan of yours?

Reading through your last post there may be something to the statement that ARF flyers are better pilots because as the old saying goes; practice makes perfect, and most of those guys I see are out practicing with those ARFs all the time while we are at home building. Now you can prove that theory wrong by just showing us all one of your best flying videos and we will see how it stands up with 75% of those so called ARF flyers out there.

Bob
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you think a guy who likes buying arfs knows why he has never tried to build a kit ?
No, he doesn't know or even care, he just wants to fly his airplane and have fun, and he does.

Bob
Old 12-25-2012, 09:12 AM
joebahl

Again most who BUILD kits or scratch build dont realy care ,so now what ? So why are they here talking about why people are not building kits any more,like they would know.lmao

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.