Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Web hosting details

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Mayur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Web hosting details

I was thinking of putting up a small personal website whic will contain some info, pics, videos, etc....
I am confused about the various hosting options available particularly coz i want to put some videos too. what kinda key features should I be looking at?

How much space is required?
How much data transfer capacity do I need? (per month)
What are the other features that I have to look at? (ASP, CGI/PERL, SQL,etc)

cheers
mayur
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Mayur

Default Web hosting details

anyone?!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:24 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Web hosting details

Personally in a situation like this, I would recommend using the free one that comes with your ISP (when you sign up for earthlink/AOL/MSN ect). If you have one of those it usually comes with 10mb of server space and a little bit of bandwidth per month.

If you aren't making money on it, might as well keep it cheap.

As far as CGI/ASP/PHP you dont need it. That is for people who use data access for forums, dynamic webpages ect.
To fully explain would take months and I'd have to charge you the 20G Im in debt for learning it myself.

Hpe that helps ya.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM
surfergal

our club is interested in putting up a website too. we have a guy who says he can build the site but he doesn't the hosting which we will need. we talked about one of the member's personal pages on aol but the club wants their own website name. anyone know of a good low cost host?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Steve in Dallas

I host our club web site (www.skyblazersrc.com) with yahoo.com. Here's a link to the Yahoo web hosting page.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/?p=1

You can start small with the $8.95 per month starter package. It's likely all you'll ever need. Yahoo lets you select your own club domain name and they will register it for you, all included in the package. Yahoo has all the features you'll need. I post photos, videos, etc. I've never come close to running out of space or transfer capacity and I'm still on the starter package.

I had never created a web page, never set up an account with a hosting company, anything. It's really much easier than you might think. You'll need a credit card to take advantage of the cheaper rates but that's the easiest way to pay anyway. Yahoo has increased my service twice since we signed up but our monthly rate has stayed the same. So far, nearing two and half years with them, I'm completely satisfied.

Just click the sign up button, walk through the process, and you can be up and running in a day.

Just my 2 cents...

Steve
Old 11-17-2005, 06:01 PM
narko

I do the site for my club, and I use my own machine that's connected via RoadRunner.
Technically, RR don't allow servers on a home account but so far they haven't complained.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:51 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Another option is to get a domain name at a place like GoDaddy.com and forward it to the free space provided by a members ISP. That is what I do for my personal site www.TopShelfRC.com in reality you are going to http://home.comcast.net/~keblair/
Old 11-18-2005, 05:47 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I host 2 sites with Dreamhost for the last 6 years.
http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/

They have a 9.95 a month package that includes 1 free domain registration pr year.
400meg storage, 120gb transfer, 600 mailboxes, and 75 FTP/Shell accounts
They handle the domain registration part too.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been hosted by www.powweb.com for over 4 years now. $7.95 / month, cheaper if you pay for a year at a time. You also get a free month if somebody references you. I can't recall the latest space and bandwicth limits, but it was freaking insane. Something like 5GB a day transfer, and an insane amount of space. www.powweb.com kicks butt!