Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

zagi combat with the birds

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

zagi combat with the birds

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 01:12 AM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zagi combat with the birds

any of you out there ever do combat with some of Gods most interesting creations(birds). I'm at a point with my zagi where I no longer crash (knock on wood)and can do most acrobatics. my brushless system allows me to fly 70mph plus and soar until she disappears(yes I lost her in the clowds for a few seconds more then once). Any way I've done combat with a few falcons which just loose interest afer a while. the most fun are those little black birds. these guys can do a 360 in mid flight on a dime. If you want to tuneyour skills give it try, just be polite and don't knock em out of the sky.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106881_44126.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	57539  
Old 08-14-2003, 01:31 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word of caution:

Many states have "Harassing Game" laws. Chasing deer on a dirt bike would be an example of a violation of these laws. Your dogfights with the birds might also get you a fine, or worse.

Not getting into a discussion about whether it is right or wrong, just passing along some info.

Eric
Old 08-14-2003, 03:49 AM
finchero

ya your right, its a risk, though harmless. these birds are highly territorial.I got started because they initiated the first chase. many birds engage in combat. everyone has seen these little black birds chase and even aggressively pursue eagles, hawks,as well as those pesky crows. they think my zagi is a hawk and treat it has so. my chances of hurting one of these birds, very slim . the hawks gave up generations ago.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:37 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I did the same thing last night with some sparrows. I didnt instigate it I was flying it and they pursued me.

Was actually fun to watch.

They didnt dare try it with my brother's Mustang... MUHAHAHAHAHA
Old 08-14-2003, 07:30 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Both clubs I belong to have strict rules against chasing or harassing any birds with any aircraft. You get caught doing it and your out - period. There is no reason to be doing this as it just gives the rest of us a black eye. You can easily purposely avoid them when flying.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:31 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Ya know whats more fun than Birds???

ANOTHER ZAGI!!!!!!!!!WOHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!

Check out www.zagi-extreme.com
Old 08-14-2003, 07:37 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't harass the birds. However, if the bird happens to fall in love with your Zagi and wants to have a little nookie, then thats fine and dandy.

I once had a turkey Buzzard fall in love with my Eaglet. Well, they were both the same color and size but my poor Eaglet didn't have a chance.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:43 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I was in no way harassing the birds, but it was like they were after me. I was flying and first it was one bird, then a flock. They were following me wherever I went.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Combat Addict

I was flying my overpowered spad once(tower 46). Okay, not overpowered. Then a flock of 40 or so Canadian geese try fly right over our field. They were flying at about 1.5 mistakes high. So it was to low to fly under them. If I flew above them, I would have probably lost track of the plane. They stopped and flew around the side of our field. Ever seen a goose try to hover? It was kind of funny. I was scared and finally they got out of my landing pattern and I could bring it in. Meanwhile the whole time the club experts are joking to go after them. lol
That was quite and experience.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

I landed my Midstar 40 once with bird crap on the windshield from a "close encounter".
Old 08-14-2003, 11:17 PM
finchero

this seems to be a quickly moving thread. I don't believe I was harassing these birds more like mimicking their behavor. some might call it harassment. I believe they were having as much fun as I. like I said the chance of my being able to injure them is almost impossible their skills have been fine tuned since birth, I was only "born" 6 months ago.who knows maybe we can start a whole knew movement in birds equal rights.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Here we have mass amounts of Bald Eagles.....Pretty territorial these Baldy's are...
Only trouble I've seen is with gliders....they hate gliders, these Baldy's do...
The Skagit River we fly near has more Bald Eagles per mile than anywhere in the lower 48 I'm told.
Salmon too, it figures.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:47 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I witnessed a midair between a Nelson powered quickie 500 and a red tailed hawk. You'd think the 3.5 lbs. plane at 150 mph would destroy the hawk but actually the plane disintegrated and the hawk fell for about 40 feet and recovered. It landed in a nearby tree and after a while it flew away. Who knows if it died later but the fact that it flew afterwards was amazing.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:51 PM
PlaneSmith

The 1.5 mistakes high comment made me laugh. Ever see a flock off geese come into land and tumble down to about ten feet and flare? It is a beauty to watch.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Cactus.

any bird crossing our field is fair game, but their seagulls, rats of the air and vermin around here. never had one yet.. i've flown through big floks of them taking off from the next field, nothing!
when we slope soar they get alot closer, my 1M white Vagrant is of interest to them, some try to chase, good fun but when you loop around them they suddenly reailse your not to be messed with.
theres a family of hawks that go past the gliding site, they ignore us compleatly floating high above.

i've seen a seagull chase a model boat around a pond tho LOL
Old 08-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any bird that has talons and a beak used for killing and eating meat is a raptor and protected under federal law from hunting and harassment. This includes all types of vultures, hawks, eagles, owls, and ospreys. It is a federal felony with HUGE dollar penalties and possible jail time.

Many other birds are on the protected or endangered species list. Hit one or cause it harm when witnessed could cause you more econimic loss than most people can stand.

You never know who may be watching from the highway or from across the field somewhere. Should someone take offense at what you are doing with ANY bird (think PITA), it's likely that a complaint would be filed against you with the authority types, causing you a real hard time. It could also cost you the flying site.

Probably best to leave the birds alone. But then again, I don't know how much "fun" you can afford.

Pat
Old 08-18-2003, 02:30 AM
electricfan

haha silvanskii thats the funniest thing ive ever heard!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our field has a high number of birds that pass by either real or others in the form of the occasional full scale YAK that flies over so we get chased occasionally. Hawks, Turkey buzzards. I once had the pleasure of watching a friend in a trainer do some formation flying with the turkey buzzards. They didnt seem to mind at all.

I say enjoy their presence and share the sky with them. Just dont harass them, it is their domain after all