Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Help building struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
lackeyma
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help building struts

I know someone can help with this, but I've never done this before. I recently acquired this bipe, but don't even know the name or manufacturer. It's rather large, with a Super Tigre 3000 in it. My problem is, it came without the outer wing struts. The inner struts are 4mm in diameter. And I know the struts should have the "N" shape to them for proper rigidity and strength, but does one measure and figure out the lengths? Also, I assume soldering the components together is required. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29609.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1692196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22595.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1692197  
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Help building struts

ORIGINAL: lackeyma

I know someone can help with this, but I've never done this before. I recently acquired this bipe, but don't even know the name or manufacturer. It's rather large, with a Super Tigre 3000 in it. My problem is, it came without the outer wing struts. The inner struts are 4mm in diameter. And I know the struts should have the ''N'' shape to them for proper rigidity and strength, but does one measure and figure out the lengths? Also, I assume soldering the components together is required. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Yes Sir , Struts (properly called "cabanes") will make the wings alot stronger , with regards to resisting flex in maneuvers . On all of my Biplanes , the cabanes are made of either model aircraft grade plywood , or somewhat flattened aluminium tubing . The cabanes are usually located at the 3rd or 4th rib in from the wingtip , and attach to the strongest structural members in their vacinity . In practice , Ive usually seen things like "doubled" ribs and stringers in the areas of the wing where the Cabanes attach . If it were mine to do , I'd set up the proper attachment points (areas) on the wings first , and then go about measuring the distance between these attachments for cabane length . Depending on your choice of cabane material , even simple "Eye bolts" of the right size could work , and then its just a simple matter of attaching the cabanes between the two .......

Course , , another option , , would be to make an approximate copy of the cabane structure on a similar sized biplane ......

Best of Luck , and Happy Flying ....... [8D]

PS , Nice looking plane ya got there !!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

OOPS , , looking closer , I now see that the attachment points are already built into the wings ..... GREAT !!!! , , , thats a HUGE load of work already done for ya , , ,

Now all ya gotta do is decide what you want to make them out of , , measure between the already attached mounting perches , and your good to go and fabricate some ......
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you show a close-up of the attachment points?