Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Electrics and Glow Airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electrics and Glow Airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrics and Glow Airplanes

Dudes the guys with the $300 nitro sport plane paid his $60 to fly at the club field Saturday morning too,,, back off with your delusional superiority attitude already. 
[8D] +1
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I couldn't agree more. The big gassers took over the field(when we had a field) on the weekends and made it frustrating to get a flight in.
More to the issue at hand though, I like the sound of engines buzzing around. But I've found nitro engines to be too inconsistant and fussy for me. I build most of my stuff from scratch or kits, so it was a little enlightening to start building something strictly for electric. I found myself saying things like "I don't have to carve up the nice cowl for the cylinder head" , or "I don't have to worry about fuel proofing". And a whole bunch of other stuff. For me, it came down to a long list of positves for electrics and a very short list of positives for nitro, mainly, I like the sound. To each their own but, when I take a plane to the field I want to fly it, not fart around with a bunch of my buddies trying to figure out why it won't run right.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO glow is on the way out and there already less glow engine brandsavailable than five years ago. Factor in gas engines are becoming smaller and less exspensive
and the fuel is cheaper than glow and clean up after flying is less. Electrics are becoming better longer flight times and larger planes and more afordable.

At my field there are way more gas and electric models than glow and almost everyone has at least one electric model, That being said twenty years from now
someone will still be flying glow but I would think that new glow engines and equip will be gone.

Just my .02