Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Minnflyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Minnflyer

I know there is a sticky on top about Mike. But I think he deserves even more than that. I did not know him personally. But I know when I saw a post from him, it was right on the money, many times had a graphic to back it up, and sometimes had some humor. Nice thing about his humor, it never offended. He could tease and poke fun at whoever and we all laughed. What a joy it must have been to know the man. I am a little sad that I only knew the persona.
So Mike, God speed to you, you will be missed, and thank you for all you did.

David
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Minnflyer

Dave,
very good idea...

I never met Mike as well but he made me feel like we new each other for years... When i got back into the hobby after a 8yr break, Mike really helped me out.. I had many PM's with him about this or that and he always took the time to answer my questions, he made the jump back into the hobby very easy.. I always read what the man had to say regardless if i was interested in the subject or not, he had a way of teaching you new things that made it enjoyable... I for one will miss his presence here at RCU very much...

Does anyone know what caused his untimely death? Continued prayers to the family, calm winds my friend..

Jimbo
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM
daveopam

I don't want anyone to feel the need to post in both places. I just wanted a tribute and thank you to Mike, were the other thread is more of an expression of sympathy.

david
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike worked on an animated graphic for me one time. It was for a website for an old theater in the town where I used to live. We needed a graphic that represented the antique blinking sign out in front, and Mike did an excellent job with it. He never charged us a dime. He just did it, because that's the kind of guy he was. Mike set an example that made others strive to be better people. We are all better off having known him.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
outdoorhunting

Jeesh, when did this happen ? I've had a few PMs with him also. He was a great guy & new his stuff. He will be missed!! We just never know, do we. God Bless
Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Live Wire

2002 to 2012, long time to be part of RCU, with a man like Mike and never meet him. Then you try to say some thing and run out of words.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Minnreefer

I have meet Mike a few times, not nearly enough, I truly took him for granted. Mike lent me an engine to put on my second plane, he said, enjoy it, fly with it, if it crashes, not a big deal, or send it back to me later, I did crash the plane after a few seasons, and it would have been more to repair the engine then it was worth. I also remember the day that he crashed three different planes in about 3 hours, but it did not seem to phase him, he was always positive.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of you may know that I was a Mod on this site for 4 years so I had the pleasure of knowing Mike behind the scenes of this site. I'm heading to the Toledo show tomorrow and was hoping to see him again there as we had many times before. The show just won't be the same without him and RC Ken picking on me. Just finding out tonight before heading to bed to get up early for the drive is going to make things so much sadder. I'll be thinking of you Mike while wandering the aisles.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ron,
 I'm here at the show. I'll pick on you twice as much if that will make up for Mike not being here!!!

I know, it's not the same. This is the first time that I've been to Toledo without Mike being here (I met Mike for the first time at the Toledo show). It's going to be very very sad being on the floor knowing he's not there as well. 

Ken
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Ron Olson

I'll have to come up with a little something for Mike tomorrow for the show. Right now I'm thinking a piece of black tape over the logo on my RCU ball cap and polo shirt in his memory.
Yes, it won't be the same without you and Mike, the partners in crime stirring the pot. The one big year when John and a few others all met up there handing out the RCU swag bags and wondering who was minding the site! Mike showing up with his beautiful wife and she didn't mind him spending money there. We were wondering how he did so well in getting her!
Damn Mike, you're making me tear up!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM
KW_Counter

I never met Mike.
A mutual friend put him on the phone with me when he found out I new and admired Mike.
Mike treated me like an instant friend. I would have talked longer but I was at the
Reno Air races and it was very noisy. I always hoped I'd meet Mike at the races sometime.

He will be missed by all who hang out here.

So long friend,

KW_Counter
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Same here,, I didn't get to shake his hand, but I will mention this,,

In addition to other times he and I trade PMs over RCU issues, a few weeks ago when RCU was experiencing the "Melt Down" he took the time to PM me to assure me that things were being worked on. I appreciated that he took the time to contact me directly like that, it made me feel like he respected my input here on RCU and although we never met in person we had a mutual respect for each other.. I did consider him one of my Internet friends.

Very few come along that have such a positive impact on our world and on us personally,, he was one of the Good Guys,,
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Picked this off the RCGroups website.

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ron,
I'm here at the show. I'll pick on you twice as much if that will make up for Mike not being here!!!

I know, it's not the same. This is the first time that I've been to Toledo without Mike being here (I met Mike for the first time at the Toledo show). It's going to be very very sad being on the floor knowing he's not there as well.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49770.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1749855  
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Ron Olson

Yes, I saw that shot earlier tonight in RCG of Ken and thought it odd that Jim took a shot of Ken.
We got to spend a few minutes this past afternoon talking about Mike but Ken was busy shooting some booths and had more to get to at the time. It's just not the same seeing those two together at the show. Thankfully we still have articles, pictures and videos to remember Mike by.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know its funny how you can be friends with someone you never met, and only know by a name made up for a web forum...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM
G.Barber

I have had the honor of living in the same town as Mike for the past three years. Mike introduced me to the world of product reviews, and helped me learn everything there was to do a review correctly. I learned about lighting, posing a photo, how to use photoshop, and edit videos. He and I spent as much time together as was humanly possible! I can't think of the last project either of had that we didn't work on together

Aside from reviews, Mike and I were best friends. Cheri, his wife, used to refer to me as his "other wife", because we did most everything together. There were lots of weeks where I'd see him more than she did! Yes, he could be a royal pain at times, but even then he was a true blessing to have in my life. And it wasn't just me - my wife and two kids loved Mike just as much. He was a part of our family, and his family adopted us as well. My kids referred to him as 'Uncle Mike', and they ADORED him!

This past week had to be the hardest week of my life. There was so much for us to do yet - we were two days away from leaving for Toledo. I have felt very lost without him - I can't even count the number of times I started to pick up the phone to call him, only to remember he wouldn't answer.

I'm still missing him badly, and will for a very long time.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 AM
KW_Counter

G,

My best friend and flying buddy passed away suddenly in January.
He was also a friend of the family and to everyone in our club.
I am feeling the same pains you are, my friend!

Good Luck,
KW_Counter

ps: Clearlake Modelers are renaming their field after our friend.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: G.Barber

I have had the honor of living in the same town as Mike for the past three years. Mike introduced me to the world of product reviews, and helped me learn everything there was to do a review correctly. I learned about lighting, posing a photo, how to use photoshop, and edit videos. He and I spent as much time together as was humanly possible! I can't think of the last project either of had that we didn't work on together

Aside from reviews, Mike and I were best friends. Cheri, his wife, used to refer to me as his ''other wife'', because we did most everything together. There were lots of weeks where I'd see him more than she did! Yes, he could be a royal pain at times, but even then he was a true blessing to have in my life. And it wasn't just me - my wife and two kids loved Mike just as much. He was a part of our family, and his family adopted us as well. My kids referred to him as 'Uncle Mike', and they ADORED him!

This past week had to be the hardest week of my life. There was so much for us to do yet - we were two days away from leaving for Toledo. I have felt very lost without him - I can't even count the number of times I started to pick up the phone to call him, only to remember he wouldn't answer.

I'm still missing him badly, and will for a very long time.

My prayers and many thanks go out to you and Ken as you both try to fill a great void in our lives in covering the Toledo show for RCU and our hobby as a whole. Your work and time is very appreciated.

Scott
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
daveopam

I second that Scott. i lost a long time friend last May. I noticed his phone # in my cell phone today. It still chokes me up a little. I just make myself delete it.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MinnFlyer was a friend I'd never met.  He added the flash to my avatar. 

Too soon, Mike.  You will be missed.