Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

I sign on to RCU every single day and almost never ever have problems accessing the site whether accessing it from work or home or Starbucks. I'm a relative newbie with less than 300 posts. If I need information on a topic I search the previous posts or send a PM to someone with more experience than myself. For me usage of this site is something I engage in every day without even thinking about it. Like eating lunch, brushing my teeth, watching the evening news.......I visit RCU at least once every day and have ZERO problems. Sorry.

However, there is one thing about RCU that's a genuine nuisance. The frequent negativity of the user's accessing it.

Are all RC forum's in decline? Don't know, don't care, I'm satisfied with RCU.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Get rid of IE and go to Firefox. Big difference, at least for me.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DejaD

As someone who only started flying RC last spring I looked around and found several different forum sites and tried to become involved as much as possible given my very limited knowledge. I joined RCU mid last year and in one of my very first posts I was relaying the story of a mid-air that resulted in the complete destruction of a foam P-51 from Airfield. I made the ''mistake'' of referring to it as a ''fatal'' mid-air and was promptly roasted for that remark by someone named Charles who evidentally is the verbage police here on RCU. He said many things to me that were totally out of line, ''You need a spanking'' is the one that really sticks out, he did however edit that post before my response was posted. There were also comments made to the affect that, if I was flying a foam replica of an airplane that I wasn't really flying and should only fly a plane that I build from scratch myself. ?? As more members got involved in the thread, is became quite obvious to everyone, except Charles that he had clearly overreacted and should apologize. He did not and the thread was eventually closed or locked or moved by the moderators. That was probably for the best.

But as I said in that thread, something like 11 of my first 14 posts on RCU were spent defending myself against this person who did nothing but belittle, berate, chastise and insult me. And supposedly he was a senior member here in addition to his claim of being a licensed pilot of full sized aircraft. I guess I felt he sould have been able to find a more suitable way to get his feelings across. Appearantly not. And appearantly nobody in charge here felt he was out of line. Now tell me, what about that would make me want to come back to this forum? Let me direct your attention to the paragraph that appears above this window...

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)

When I contacted the moderator about the closing of the thread, I got no response.
Ahhhh....life typing on the RCU forums! Perception is key with these forums. Some people will act that way in person too...those types I generally leave them to their own destruction since they have to sit high upon a throne of control and throw the little peasants a piece of bread now and then. It is sad that you had to defend yourself in your earlier post, but do remember not all the folks that post act that immature. There are some fantastic and good people that frequent these forums and other boards as well.

Sometimes people just have bad days and don't know how to control themselves - they may need an attitude adjustment or just have the ladder leaning against the wrong wall I am glad you stuck it out and voice your opinions that shows you have the steadfastness you need to make in on RCU and in the hobby.

BTW, when thinking about some of the posts in this thread, why would we assume that forum declines would indicate the hobby as a whole has declined? Just curious, because I have been heavily involved for the last three years and have actually increased my purchases this last year quite a bit. You just started last spring and I know of several new club members at one of our fields.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
bigstick60
My Feedback: (3)

My biggest problem with this forum and most others is the attitude of some, they are what I call trolls, a person asks a reasonable question and here they come, attitude trolls. And you know who you are because I see it. Same ones over and over

#1 complaining about spelling and grammar. hell this is a hobby forum not an English class
#2 my stuff is better than yours. who cares I just want some info!!!
#3 I am right, I know everything and it must be done my way or you will fail. sorry I don’t know you so stop pounding your chest
#4 running certain r/c mfg’s down if someone states he bought such and such items from who ever. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you’re the problem and not the mfg
#5 busting someones chops because he ask’s a repeated question and or did not do a proper search. Don’t worry about it maybe someone does want to take the time to help, why should it bother you
# 6 a person asks a question and within 4 or 5 replies it goes’ off topic or we have a computer brawl because someone offended another. Stay on topic, if you want to have a brawl take it else where.

in my opinion these are some of the problem with all forums
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM
koastrc

Bigstick60, I think you are on the trail of the problem. Yes you are on the trail of the problem. Will the cats in charge figure it out?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

My biggest problem with this forum and most others is the attitude of some, they are what I call trolls, a person asks a reasonable question and here they come, attitude trolls. And you know who you are because I see it. Same ones over and over

#1 complaining about spelling and grammar. hell this is a hobby forum not an English class
#3 I am right, I know everything and it must be done my way or you will fail. sorry I don’t know you so stop pounding your chest
#4 running certain r/c mfg’s down if someone states he bought such and such items from who ever. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you’re the problem and not the mfg
#5 busting someones chops because he ask’s a repeated question and or did not do a proper search. Don’t worry about it maybe someone does want to take the time to help, why should it bother you
# 6 a person asks a question and within 4 or 5 replies it goes’ off topic or we have a computer brawl because someone offended another. Stay on topic, if you want to have a brawl take it else where.

Bigstick60=Home run. Take a victory lap. I run into a few of these clowns at the LHS about points 2. and 3..
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

And yet it went off topic, as none of those issues can be handled by the site owner in any way.   Thin skinned people, need to learn  how to ignore the search police and their friends... they are everywhere on the internet. 

I certainly do not feel we need "babysat" by mods for those issues.  
Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Pull Up Now!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigstick60

Ha ha, this whole thread was entertaining reading. I spent more time on this than I do a legitimate search!

Maybe one of the problems is that one can garner 6 pages on this subject. There is THAT better!? And it's "right", not "wright".

Another BIG problem with RCU is the emoticons are sucky! OK, I'm just kidding.

Seriously, I agree with all the points above quoted, except #1. I really believe that many of the serial disagreements that occur on here is based on communication errors. People can't express a cohesive thought on paper, leading to the inevitable hurt feelings and misunderstandings. They write in run-on sentences, jam thoughts together, and use jargon only they know. These people would rather suffer death than go back, read, and edit their own posts. Spew it out and hit "OK".

The rest of the bad venom on here are from the same guys who hang out at the field and know it all, have it all, but somehow never seem to show up with a plane.

As for the hobby in general, it's evolving and fragmenting for lots of reasons. There's a whole group of electronics-savvy people who aren't amazed that something can really fly. They just want to see their IC's fly it. There's a sub-group of them who think they're going to somehow make a difference in global warming because their super carbon lightweight devices don't exude fumes(They do, it's just done at the power plant; out-of-sight, out-of-mind). These folk's imaginations aren't stoked by the vision of the bravery it took to climb into a P51-D and fly it to Peenemunde or Schweinfurt.

Also, organized sporting activities have completely taken over all kid's free time. So we're not feeding the hobby from the bottom anymore. My son was taking off and landing RC planes at 7 years old. He's now, at 25, the youngest RC lifer at the local club. Kids are told to be patient, but they're not actually taught it thru experience and example. It's a behavioral issue, not a skill. ARFs were good for working adults with little time, but they are now so prevalent the idea of instant gratification fits the kid's schedules too. But it deprives them of the thrill of creating something of worth. Oh well.

And now, because I don't trust this forum's servers anymore, control A, control C!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Live Wire

In other word IB bought a pig in a poke and lost their ***** and do not know what to do about it You can't even put the smily'e in the wright place
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Live Wire

In other word IB bought a pig in a poke and lost their ***** and do not know what to do about it You can't even put the smily'e in the wright place Try to blame it on FF or E what ever it all comes back to RCU
At least Mark was there and had an answer for your problem When we lost one of our better mod's every thing turned brown
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
ddemu

I agree with a lot of the comments here.
As only an occassional visitor to the forums, I for one would like to see a "Like" or "That's Cool" button for the threads (taking a lesson from the social networtking sites) so that guys can give some means of positive feedback to those posting their projects, without the rest of us having to scan through the hundreds (sometimes thousands) of posts that say "I like it" or "that's cool".

I prefer quality to quantity.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Pull Up Now!

ORIGINAL: ddemu

I agree with a lot of the comments here.
As only an occassional visitor to the forums, I for one would like to see a ''Like'' or ''That's Cool'' button for the threads (taking a lesson from the social networtking sites) so that guys can give some means of positive feedback to those posting their projects, without the rest of us having to scan through the hundreds (sometimes thousands) of posts that say ''I like it'' or ''that's cool''.

If there WAS a "LIKE" button on RCU, you'd get one for your post DDEMU, from me. Only thing is don't wuss out like FB didput a "dislike" button too. [&o]
Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ddemu

I for one would like to see a ''Like'' or ''That's Cool'' button for the threads

Actually there is one of sorts and its the rate this post feature below every post next to the report this post button. I don,t see many using it though.
Look at your post I just gave you five stars at the top of the post next to the date and time.

John
Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Wagon1

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I think every possible RC subject has already been discussed ad nauseam.

There is just not much left to talk about. In the early days I found RC Online / Universe tremendously helpful. I still love to build and fly, but I don't have much new to discuss online.

I perceive a similar decline in other forums that I visit... bikeforums.org, qrz.org, subaruforester.org. I suspect fourm participation is generally declining. People have become saturated.

And also, I do think the RC Aircraft hobby is declining in general. The generation that loved aviation is dying off. The younger generations do not have the same connection to flight.
Holy Cow. Really? There is a web site were guys (and gals I guess) get together to talk about their Japanese made SUV? Amazing.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Live Wire

All post here know are a waste of time. The people that should be reading could care less. Do yo see a response from the people that are now in charge of this site NO, WHY. DO THEY CARE I dought IT
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull Up Now!,
I like your post above #108. Only you left out video game's. Several varieties to keep a child's mind occupied so as not to be a bother to the parent's.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
topspin

Looks like the owner of another RC web site dumped some doo doo on RCU by claiming the numbers posted in the OP are false and then went on to mke fun of this site. I think every member of this site should make it a point to make at least one post a day for the next two months just to get even.

emoticon worked just fine by the way. Now everyone start posting.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because the site appears like it is going down hill. The apparent problems have not been fixed, and it appears as if they are not going too either.[]
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
FreakyDude

Say the points below again. The BS and attitude on some posts is ridiculous. I really love the first paragraph here though.
ORIGINAL: Hossfly

OPINIONS: Older and experienced people don't generally come to these forums as they don't need help. Those that need help seldom get true help, because those giving it do not have adequate knowledge to provide real help. I see so many stating FACT that have no idea what fact is. Their real "knowledge" is often not knowledge at all, but simply confusion. In addition there are usually a number of different methods to accomplish any aero-modeling task. Far too many think their one-way is the only way.

The problems of getting on RCU are so many and so bad that who in L wants to bother with it? I have a few - very few topics in the whole realm of RCU - things that I read some of the postings. If it is not allowing me tro get on, so be it.

Facebook and such garbage pots are attractive to women and young folks, male, female, or inbetween. My wife wanted me to get on it some years ago. I seldom go there and delete all the emails that come from there. PPSSST! Wifey keeps up with her family and friends there. Young folks think everyone else is as interested in them as they are in themselves.

The sport of aeromodeling is changing. Small electrics and ARFs have degenerated the sport to a fad such as the old-time COX plastic CL models of years ago. Just more garbage that is a simple passing activity.

Take a look at the AMA Forum, not just here at RCU but their own forum. It basically died when AMA hired moderators that only allowed themselves to really say anything of importance. Now it's still there but the hooks are too dull to catch any fish. AMA hiearchy doesn't give a darn.

So there in a nutshell, the Forums will remain, and they will get new inputs from time to time. Overall with so many that have no specific directions, I don't see any real future for these forums.

Sure glad I copied my post because the proverbial "Timed Out" caught it. [:@]
Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the problems I see is this..
When someone actually does something unique or the hard way, builds something nice... they can take pictures, videos..offer tons of thought and info ..and what happens? a tiny group of people offer any feedback ... usually a hand full of the same guys.

And lets face it, if you come here to read and exchange ideas, or even stories and a good laugh.....Lurkers don't add anything but hits. To me it seems there is less positive feedback than before, and more trolls, (like the rest of the net)

And after awhile people just don't see the reason to bother adding real content.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Pull Up Now!

ORIGINAL: acerc

Pull Up Now!,
I like your post above #108. Only you left out video game's. Several varieties to keep a child's mind occupied so as not to be a bother to the parent's.
Yes, of course, you're right. Video games not only take time, but they rob kids of the ability to forestall gratification until something has actually been accomplished. Such as getting a wing framed.

Also, the flower child 60's generation spawned the socialization movement. Day care was suddenly a great thing, because the kids would learn to socialize. No one wanted a weird kid with no friends. Without realizing how much of this is genetically coded, people naively thought simple exposure would give kids the ability to make friends, and not be bullied. Most of this is now known to be completely untrue. A nerd is a nerd, basically. But now they're cool too I guess, at least if you watch TV.

Why is this relevant? Because the socialization movement, along with newsworthy kidnappings and the drive towards total security led to soccer Mom'\s organizing kids free time around organized, supervised activities. No more free time. NO MORE CREATIVE TIME. Parents no longer encourage individual discovery such as building model planes because they're afraid they won't have any friends. The idea of doing something alone flies in the face of the "It Takes a Village" mindset to do everything. I don't want to stray too far afield, but one can see how if this same philosophy of ensured outcomes, total security, and group-only activity is applied to voting patterns, you will get a political shift too.

Guys, for those who don't know, to copy and paste before posting, just hit Control A, then Control C. It's easier than using the mouse or mouse pad.

Oh, one last comment on the "LIKE" button ideal. I had never discovered RCU's "rate this post" button. I really was afraid to press anything given the recent problems. But now that I see it does work, the problem is you don't know if a 5 star rating is based on one guy, or twenty. The "LIKE" button on Facebook gives you a count total.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hover the cursor over the "stars" and you will be rewarded with a running-total of voters.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Paul_BB

I dont know anything about the evolution of the AMA aeromodeling membership in the USA, but here isthe evolutionary FFAM membership curve.
The FFAMis the French equivalent to the AMA.
As you cansee, there are more and more people practicingRC aeromodelingin France (airplanes & helicopters).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27154.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1774600  
Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Pull Up Now!

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Hover the cursor over the ''stars'' and you will be rewarded with a running-total of voters.
Awesome info. See, you still CAN learn new things on RCU. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 AM
barchiola
My Feedback: (6)

sorry to see the site in decline. it seems that there are a lot of topic specific sites now where there is a greater concentration of knowledge and a more personal atmosphere. IB probably doesn't do for the site what the original owners did in terms of fostering comraderie.

modelers are modelers though and until the community recognizes that then there will be people turned off by others' attitudes towards them. read the posts, how many old guys have crapped all over the younger generations? it happens in clubs too and i've learned to ignore it after being in clubs for almost thirty years.

maybe IB should do a database dump and let the site start over. or delete everything from more than 18 months ago.

regarding the site's functionality, if it won't run, people won't come back more than a couple of times before abandoning it altogether.

re.: RCG, i got tired of seeing Jim Bourke's blog posts with all the money he's been spending. the site is overloaded with advertising, it's become a joke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.