Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

travelling to different countries

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

travelling to different countries

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
mick1404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default travelling to different countries

hi there
just a quick question, how do these awesome pilots (Jason Shulman etc.) get their aircraft to and from other countries for competitionswhen organisations such as the TSA don't allow you to take internal combustion engines (even newstill in the original packaging)into and out of the US in your luggage (carry on and checked baggage)but if I was a hunter I could take weapons, ammo, mace, even deer antlers and even animal carcasses with no hassles.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM
beepee

Default RE: travelling to different countries

Please direct us to your source saying that internal combustion engines are not allowed in carry-on or checked bags. I just checked TSA's web site and no such restriction is listed. I can't imagine why it would be either.

Bedford
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Likely they ship the aircraft ahead. 

I can barely get my models into the cellar.  Can't imagine trying to get one in an overhead compartment.  ;-)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are some TSA displays of "Whats not allowed" that show the old COX starter system with the 9v battery, pint of fuel, and an 049 engine. As usual, they do not define it.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
mick1404

I just double checked TSA website and you are correct beepee, my bad , I hope I haven't offended any TSA staff that fly RC, but I checked Alaska Airlines and also gave them a phone call to double check and they don't allow internal combustion engines on board or in checked luggage so I pulled my brand new 20cc engine to pieces so I can fly from Seattle to LAX. They think a brand new engine can cause things to happen. I work on C-17 aircraft and I have never heard of anything so stupid in my life, considering some of the cargo we have carried.