Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Trip Planning Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Trip Planning Help Please

I am planning to travel from Windsor Ontario Canada (Detroit Michigan border crossing) to attend an event in Van Nuys California in early April. I used Google maps to look at the most direct route. And it takes me across Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and into California. I am wondering what to expect weather wise at this time and any concerns I should be aware of. I have not driven to California so I have no experience to draw on. I will be traveling with a few models and will be on the lookout for any flying fields that welcomes visitors. If you belong to or are aware of any give me a suggestion or two. I will be attending the SAE Aerodesign West competition as the pilot for the University of Windsor’s entry. I would like to break up the long trip by visiting a few RC aircraft fields or points of interest on the way.
Dennis Pratt
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Trip Planning Help Please

Dennis,,
April is a crap shoot, Most think of it as spring, but you can still get significant snows in the Rockies then as here in the Midwest

I've driving cross contry many times, a few times in November and December,, I have roots in SoCal and flew where you're going as my main field for years,

I like to use the I-40 through TX, NM, AZ, it's a few more miles from here but not near as high an elevation that going through CO is for one thing, which is important if you're in a RV or Towing, which I normally am. And if there is trouble ahead, you can veer south through Tucson instead of waiting out a snow storm in Nebraska. One Dec. trip I got stuck in an Ice storm in Amarillo for 2 days, I-40 west was closed,, ya never know.

Good luck

p.s.
I'll never camp overnight in Flagstaff in Dec. again,, Burr
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dennis the I-40 route is a much better route weather wise and and an easier drive on into the Basin (Apollo field Van Nuys). My field is located in Kingman AZ. on the I-40 route and a natural stop over on to the basin.

Please allow me to welcome you to our humble field for flying any type aircraft you wish. There are no noise restrictions nor any type of aircraft restrictions. We are an AMA chartered club so of course you need the AMA card but we would enjoy your visit if you choose to stop over. We also have an LHS who delivers at the field. He is well stocked and has ample fuel supplies if you have the need.

We have 900 feet of desert hardpan and a somewhat shorter crosswind runway with no obstructions except possibly for a lonely coyote or two. The field is fifteen minutes to the I-40

Weather in april is typically nice and we tend to be morning flyers since evenings tend to be windy.
Give me PM if you like stop so I can be sure you will be properly greeted and I will give you my numbers.

Here is a link to our club site:

http://kingmanmodelers.net/

So please do join us

John
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I took a look at the route suggested and I like it better. I have been to Fort Worth for a competition this route is just a bit north wouldn't expect it would be too much different. Thanks a lot Run down to St Louis then Tulsa, Okalahoma City, Albuquerque and almost straight across from there.

Thanks a lot for the alternate route idea.

John most definitly would like to see/fly at your club I have sent you a PM

Dennis