Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Best Grass for New field

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 07:46 PM
rrandletn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Grass for New field

We're planning to build a new field in TN, do to housing developments we have lost out old one. What is the best grass to use for a flying field?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:52 PM
vtol_guy

Default RE: Best Grass for New field

turf!
Old 09-12-2003, 05:01 PM
DaveB

Look for a good quality grass that is suited for full sun. Usually blue grass is a large percentage of the seed content. I would recommend visiting a co-op such as "Agway" or a land scaping supply store. Stay away from bargain basement end of season sales in discount stores. Our club went that route and we weren't satified with the result.

DaveB
Old 09-12-2003, 07:39 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

tiff bermuda, low profile, drougth resistance, though, easy maintenance.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:12 PM
SDR-Hammer

I don't know much about grasses but I do know it depends on your area. Very likely the best seed to start a field will be a blend. Such as some rye grasses to get established quickly and an annual for durability.

Find a supplier that supports commercial landscapers they will direct you to the best seed for your soil type and need. Also they will have it in large quantities because I’ll bet you will need 50-100 lbs of seed.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: rrandletn
We're planning to build a new field in TN, do to housing developments we have lost out old one. What is the best grass to use for a flying field?
Try calling the local parks and rec. see what they use that you like the looks of around the parks or public buildings.

PS: Got the Skooter II pic on my web page, you still cutting cores?
Old 09-13-2003, 12:50 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used common bermuda on our field. It is cheap and you can establish a lawn in one season by seeding. The down side is it is usually the last grass to green in the spring and the first to brown in the fall. Its fast growth also means lots of grass cutting in the summer.

Centipede also does well in the south. Not as drought tolerant as bermuda and it does not grow as fast, which is bad when you are trying to get the bare dirt covered, but nice when it comes grass cutting time. The seed is much more expensive than bermuda. Around here it goes for $14 per pound vs $2 for bermuda. I have not ever had much luck establishing a centipede lawn from seed and sod can get expensive.

Both of these are warm weather grasses and Tennessee may be too cool for them to do well.

This site has lots of information on lawn grasses.

http://www.lawngrasses.com/

Eric