Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

So, I have an old ISC challenger Pitts ARF (the red Oracle scheme). I need a cowl for it. I find that Perfromance Aircraft Unlimited (PAU), took over the kit line, and now sells it. So I call asking to oder a cowl. The guy on the other end asks me when I bought the plane from them. I told him it was not from them, that it was the old ISC kit (he had no idea what i was talking about), but their kit was the same; and if nothing else, odentical in specs:

http://www.flypau.com/html/challenger/challenger.html

Now it gets, well, stupid:

So the guy says, "that is not our kit; we cannot sell you a cowl" Surprised, I said, "what?" He said since I didn't buy the kit from them, they cannot support other MFG products. I said yes, but ISC is no longer around, otherwise I would have happily ordered one from ISC. He said we was sorry, but he could not sell me a cowl. I said, "you have to be kidding me". He said no, he could not sell me a cowl; because I did not buy it from them. Really....?.

So, I questioned their customer satisfaction. He stated that they have excellent customer service. I went on to say really, but you won't sell me a cowl, for a kit that your company took over, for a plane that I can no longer get. Hmmm, I guess that means I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from them in the future...and I was actually looking at getting some big laminated props from them too. Well, not now, sale lost.

So, in another blind effort to become a cookie cutter society here in the good ole US of A, and simply follow a policy, instead of helping out a modeler who could do future business with them down the road, they are willing to snuff a cutomer due to said policy and lose a sale, or potential future sales?

Am I the only one that finds this unbelieveably ridiculous? Especially given the fact that my kit, per-se, is no longer available? PAU sux!

In this competitive world of RC supply and demand, I fail to understand why a company would not help out a modeler. But, I am sure it comes down to the ole might buck!

Anyne have a spare ISC challenger Pitts cowl?

JQ

Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

JQ, give these guys a call http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/, they list some ISC stuff. But there other Pitts cowls might fit. What size is your Pitts?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

Defies logic in my book.

david
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do they care what it's for? You're wanting to pay them for a part they make. What you do with it once it arrives is your business, not theirs.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
F4u5

ORIGINAL: acerc

JQ, give these guys a call http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/, they list some ISC stuff. But there other Pitts cowls might fit. What size is your Pitts?
Robert, thx, but I checked with FS, they don't have anything that will work (that I have yet found). I am still looking. It is a 27% Tucker Pitts (64 inch span, or so).

JQ
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM
F4u5

I think a Midwest Super Stinker Cowl will be close enough for me.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't something like this happen at Meister scale?After someone started selling pirated short kits?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 AM
F4u5

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Didn't something like this happen at Meister scale?After someone started selling pirated short kits?
That is different. Here, ISC is no longer, and PAU picked up the line. So the PAU aircraft is the ISC A/c (with maybe some updates)
JQ
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, Humm????
Didn't IRC only made that in an ARC form with the 1-800 collect decals, not a ARF. and they were long OOB before Sean Tucker ever signed with Oracle so you may infact have the PAU version,, better call them back.

p.s.
I have an original ARC kit up in the rafters
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
F4u5

Well, I know ISC made the 1800 and 10-10-220 scheme....not sure about the Oracle. It looks like the ISC to me, as I had the 1-800, but you make a valid point, and I did get it at a swap. But, I gather I will need proof of purchase (receipt)...[X(]

JQ

Jeff
Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
scale only 4 me

Easy ways to check,,, the IRC doesn't have the lightening holes around the firewall box and the wings came one piece, not 2 pre covered then joined, the PAU has laser cut parts,, the list goes on
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
F4u5

Yeah, definitely not a PAU.......Thx

JQ
Old 04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
straitnickel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing that spare parts are infact limited and they really want to keep them on hand for their customers only, having parts on hand for your customers would be good for them business wise. I had the Orical Pitts before PAU, it was BME Aircraft then this was in around 2005 2006.
just puttin in my 2¢ here.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Try Fibertech N More (Used to be Stan's Fiber Tech). If they don't have it they will do everything that they can to get you what you need. If you have the old cowl, even if it's torn up and in pieces, they can build a mold and get you a new one from that.
Hope this helps
Ken
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

From the website link you provided the first five words are "We have redesigned this gem". If their cowl did not fit exactly but you made it fit and then it vibrated loose in flight, struck the prop and destroyed your plane you COULD (I'm not saying you would) find some snake lawyer and sue them for an outrageous sum. It happens.
Customer service today is more a result of outrageous lawsuits than anything else. So if you have any in your club, thank them.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
F4u5

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

I'm guessing that spare parts are infact limited and they really want to keep them on hand for their customers only, having parts on hand for your customers would be good for them business wise. I had the Orical Pitts before PAU, it was BME Aircraft then this was in around 2005 2006.
just puttin in my 2¢ here.
Bingo, it was a BME....[8D]. But this practice still does not make sense.....I kinda get it, but really, how moany replacement cowls will be needed out there.....Thx

JQ
Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
straitnickel

Everyone of them eventually would be my guess, they would likely be the first spare part they run out of, bad landings, engine swaps and crashs.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM
straitnickel

F4U5,
There is a build thread here - EASY TIGER LA-7 - the OP, Neville , has pics. and some discussion of a cowl repair to a BeeGee, the front was pretty ragged out from a bad landing and now it looks like new, you might get some idea from him how to get something like that done. It's just this side of a miracle if you ask me. LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM
scale only 4 me

oops,,
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
straitnickel

Well now
Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I agree it's poor support. Next time, ask to speak to the owner, or a supervisor. Get the CSR's name and mention it often in your complaint letter or e-mail.

" If their cowl did not fit exactly but you made it fit and then it vibrated loose in flight, struck the prop and destroyed your plane you COULD (I'm not saying you would) find some snake lawyer and sue them for an outrageous sum."

Never heard of an ambulance-chaser pursuing a toy airplane case. Kinda reachin' there..., 

Old 04-25-2013, 01:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I agree it's poor support. Next time, ask to speak to the owner, or a supervisor. Get the CSR's name and mention it often in your complaint letter or e-mail.

" If their cowl did not fit exactly but you made it fit and then it vibrated loose in flight, struck the prop and destroyed your plane you COULD (I'm not saying you would) find some snake lawyer and sue them for an outrageous sum."

Never heard of an ambulance-chaser pursuing a toy airplane case. Kinda reachin' there...,

So, do we get to a situation where we hear something like "If the cowl don't fit, you must acquit!!!!"?????

Ken

Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Why not tell them you bought the kit from them and you need a replacement? If they say they can't find your order tell them their files must be incomplete.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I have no dog in this hunt, but have had similar experience on items from a different manufacturer.  After pressing them on the idiocy of the policy, they explained, politely, that the reason they sold parts only to those who had purchased from them was really because of "limited runs" of spare parts for things.  In fact, they explained that when the inital run of a kit was done, many spares of usual replacement parts were made, but that due to their production costs, it would be financially unreasonable to run repeats of spares.

Not saying it is right or wrong, just sharing an experience I had that is similar, and the rationale for the policy that on the surface seemed totally stupid.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

"So, do we get to a situation where we hear something like "If the cowl don't fit, you must acquit!!!!"?????   "

LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.