Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Traveling w/Lipo Batteries on Planes - Helis

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Traveling w/Lipo Batteries on Planes - Helis

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Traveling w/Lipo Batteries on Planes - Helis

Well, the FSA has shut down the ability to carry on lipo batteries into the aircraft cabin. I am not really disagreeing with this as I am well aware of the fire and smoke emitted by a burning Lipo.

They now allow 25grams of lipo battery that is not part of a device. I was able to get my DX8 with upgraded lipo battery onto the plane and the TSA supervisor was even an RC enthusiast. Got it out of the country and back in without a hassle.

So now, how are guys going to travel to helicopter events? You are going to have to ground ship the batteries weeks before the event or buy/borrow batteries at the event. That sure increases the cost. Then you are going to have to ground ship them back.

I would think that the TSA could/should consider allowing RC hobbiest to travel with batteries that are contained in a sealed ammo box... the box could sealed at check-in and the seal would/could be checked at anytime in the flight if necessary. Break seal for a fine.

I think an allowance should be made because laptop users are allowed to carry a spare LiOn battery and they can be just as big and could be just as dangerous... 887 dreamliner anyone?

How about it TSA??? (I know you are not listening here)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Traveling w/Lipo Batteries on Planes - Helis

LOL,, yeah write your congressman,, I'm sure they'll change policy for allllllllllllll the RC Heli guys that travel via air,
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

787 dreamliner, not 887. Don't worry. Due to Boeing's idea of the LiPO batteries exploding, we are in temporary shock (and overreacting, like 90% of people do) to one thing. Wait a year or so, and it'll be back to normal.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM
rihhanarachel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I accept this decision of avoiding lipo batteries at flight cabin. No compromise should be done with security.