Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

WHat is Karma rating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHat is Karma rating?

This looks new!
Edwin
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Edwin,
I'm not quite sure where the Karma system is going. We indicated to our Tech Staff that we wanted something like the ratings system that we had in the old RCU. They put in this Karma ratings system, but from what I have seen so far it looks more like it's geared towards ratings transactions in buying and selling in the Marketplace and not so much rating each other here in the Forums. Our Tech Staff is looking into this now, and hopefully we'll have something working soon.

Ken
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Edwin,
I'm not quite sure where the Karma system is going. We indicated to our Tech Staff that we wanted something like the ratings system that we had in the old RCU. They put in this Karma ratings system, but from what I have seen so far it looks more like it's geared towards ratings transactions in buying and selling in the Marketplace and not so much rating each other here in the Forums. Our Tech Staff is looking into this now, and hopefully we'll have something working soon.

Ken
The idea of "Score" in the previous RCU was good as it allowed you to see the general "credibility" of a member.

I personally don't have a problem with calling it Karma and I understand the word "Karma" is now frequently used in the Western vernacular with little concern about the origin.

Perhaps the Tech Staff should be aware of the actual meaning / origin of the word "Karma" because there may be people who will take offense to it being used here (like I said... not me)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

Perhaps calling it something like "Score" again would be more neutral.

Just a thought.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM
topspin

My Karma ran over your dogma.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:40 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I personally never did understand the reason for the member rating system.
This seemed more like a buddy system that gave a fictitious number to indicate your ability to give pertinent information to members.
Just because a person didn't have a high score, doesn't mean that that person has an inability to answer a question or participate in discussion. I have also seen people with a high score that weren't necessarily correct on all of their input.
For these reasons I don't see any reason to continue with a scoring system. A system to rate sellers and buyers is much more useful, but there again if a person hasn't made any online purchases he has no rating, but isn't necessarily a risk to sell to.
If a new rating system is put in place, I'll just continue to ignore the meaningless numbers. There are other places on this web site that could use the attention that is given to a rating system, and be more beneficial to RCU members.

Greg
Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This karma system will be of no value to me. Old Rookie has it right. My opinions of others are formed on what they say and do over time. I've done several deals with people on RCG and few updated my trader rating, so I really dont see a use in it. I try to deal with those that have been around and have some reputation.
Edwin
Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by OldRookie
I personally never did understand the reason for the member rating system.
This seemed more like a buddy system that gave a fictitious number to indicate your ability to give pertinent information to members.
Just because a person didn't have a high score, doesn't mean that that person has an inability to answer a question or participate in discussion. I have also seen people with a high score that weren't necessarily correct on all of their input.
For these reasons I don't see any reason to continue with a scoring system. A system to rate sellers and buyers is much more useful, but there again if a person hasn't made any online purchases he has no rating, but isn't necessarily a risk to sell to.
If a new rating system is put in place, I'll just continue to ignore the meaningless numbers. There are other places on this web site that could use the attention that is given to a rating system, and be more beneficial to RCU members.

Greg
I believe you because you have 100% Karma!

Just kidding.. good post.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
eddieC

Now it's 'Market Feedback'? Lol

Please reinstate our old scores. They helped to show one's credibility, and I'm pretty incredible!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Eddie the old scores system was of some use as an additional tool, Was it absolutely accurate? Of course not especially when there was a thread asking about it and some fellows made a joke of it deliberately running away with scores on each other. However it was a useful additional tool for many.

Now its market feedback, Huh I think they have the wrong forum. They need to keep that stuff in the marketplace and how much crap people sell in a marketplace has nothing to do with these forums. I never sell in the marketplace ever, only local so now I am a zero with no creditability in this forum?

John