Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Radio vs RX channels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio vs RX channels?

I am looking at a couple different planes from Aeroworks, Cessna's in particular. They call for a minimum 10 channel radio, but only an 8 channel RX. Why more channels on the radio than the receiver? What am I missing? I think the hot weather has cooked my brain.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedonrc
I am looking at a couple different planes from Aeroworks, Cessna's in particular. They call for a minimum 10 channel radio, but only an 8 channel RX. Why more channels on the radio than the receiver? What am I missing? I think the hot weather has cooked my brain.
Can you please post a link to page that says you need a 10 Channel radio? I just looked at the Aeroworks website and both the 195 Cessna and the LC126 only list a 6 channel radio as minimum.

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=516

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=396
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Each mix uses up a channel. You can easily have four servos on throttle and control surfaces that use up eight channels. Mix two together for elevator halves, that's nine. Dual rudder servoes . . . that's ten.

Dual ailerons and dual elevator halves is six on the receiver just for plugging in.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 08-31-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of the models might need an 8 channel radio and 10 servos. With an 8 channel receiver, you still only can use 8 channels, no matter how big your transmitter is. You can use more servo's than 8 with the use of Y Harness, but no more channels. After looking at the plane in the pics, I cannot see why you would need 8 channels unless you have multiple elevator servo's or dual aileron servo's that need to be programed with individual channels. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 AM
hookedonrc

Here is the page from Chief Aircraft where it shows the 10 channel requirement. I am using a DX8 and am considering one of these to use my DLE30 on.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...cessna195.html

Now that I look at the Aeroworks site their own requirements show a minimum of a 6 channel radio. It may be that I just need to decide what features I do without. It's only 2 channels.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 09-01-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

L Ail, L Flap, R Ail, R Flap, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, Kill Switch (Optional but highly recommended)

You can "get away" with Y harness on the Flaps and Ailerons if the servo layout is correct but it's easier if you have individual channels for them.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Must be a typo for the 10 channel radio. If you read the manual the plane requires (2) servos for ailerons, (2) for flaps, (1) for rudder, (1) for elevator, and (1) for throttle There is seven channels consumed and if you run an ignition engine the eighth channel would be for a kill switch and if you wanted auto choke a ninth channel would be needed.
You would mix the (2) aileron servos together and another mix for the (2) flap servos. , You could save a channel by using a "Y" harness for the ailerons and save another channel by using a reversed servo for one of the flaps
Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks Brian ....the one thing I require on all of my gassers is a remote kill switch. I use the RC-100 X for the remote set up. Looks like what I need now is to decide which plane I will spring for.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 09-02-2013 at 06:34 AM.