Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Strange ads showing up

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Oregon Craig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange ads showing up

When I look at the big list of all forums, a random hobby king sign hovers above the batteries and chargers forum. If I go into the batteries and chargers forum, there it is again. Is it advertising, or some random Google ad thing showing up?

I use Chrome, so Adblock Plus made them disappear with a mouse click. Just wondering if they were actual advertising, as the placement on the screen seemed odd.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by Oregon Craig
When I look at the big list of all forums, a random hobby king sign hovers above the batteries and chargers forum. If I go into the batteries and chargers forum, there it is again. Is it advertising, or some random Google ad thing showing up?

I use Chrome, so Adblock Plus made them disappear with a mouse click. Just wondering if they were actual advertising, as the placement on the screen seemed odd.
I get the same thing and also have one at "Electric General Discussion".
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM
KCV6
Banned

Right click on add, properties, Answers question.

Mark
Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep , and Firefox's Ad block does wonders as well for eliminating the HK intrusion between the forum headings .

Gee , I wonder if they'll start spraypainting the HK logo on highway overpasses next ???
Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 AM
KCV6
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , and Firefox's Ad block does wonders as well for eliminating the HK intrusion between the forum headings .

Gee , I wonder if they'll start spraypainting the HK logo on highway overpasses next ???
LOL, it's a small banner on one insignificant space, why on earth would it bother you so much init? So you have an issue with the other small banner on electric general discussions as well?

Of course they will spray paint the HK logo on the highway, THeY,,, PrObAblY...... OWN iT!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeek (chortles). Anyway it won't be a problem for long Toppers has it they are going out of beeswax. Must be true.

Cheers big ears. Mark
Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by KCV6
Toppers has it they are going out of beeswax. Must be true.

Cheers big ears. Mark
Gee , that's funny , I hadn't seen anywhere on RCU that toppers said anything of the sort ...... You wouldn't be tryin to drag some other site's garbage into RCU , Now would you Mark ???? Be forewarned that RCU takes a very dim view of other site's trash being dragged into this forum , and that HK may not be afforded the absolute control here that it may have elsewhere . We have some pretty nice multirotor sub forums here , You may want to check them out once you've finished chasing the HK threads all over the site , You know , like the one you just couldn't stay out of in the 3D airplanes subforum . Tell me , Mark , Do you fly much fixed wing 3D ? I hadn't noticed you post in those types of subforums before . So , If someone on a flippin QUILTING forum badmouths HK , will you be responding there as well ?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM
KCV6
Banned

Gee , that's funny , I hadn't seen anywhere on RCU that toppers said anything of the sort ...... You wouldn't be tryin to drag some other site's garbage into RCU , Now would you Mark ???? Be forewarned that RCU takes a very dim view of other site's trash being dragged into this forum , and that HK may not be afforded the absolute control here that it may have elsewhere . We have some pretty nice multirotor sub forums here , You may want to check them out once you've finished chasing the HK threads all over the site , You know , like the one you just couldn't stay out of in the 3D airplanes subforum . Tell me , Mark , Do you fly much fixed wing 3D ? I hadn't noticed you post in those types of subforums before . So , If someone on a flippin QUILTING forum badmouths HK , will you be responding there as well ?
Dude, seriously, it's a small banner add. There is one for another company as well. I didn't bring up HK, you did.

LOLZ at the "afforded the absolute control".

If I'm a sewing my quilt and someone else chooses to bring HK into the discussion (as you did) then yeah I'll probably comment. News flash. It's not your forum or mine.

Did you right click the add or adds and look at the properties. it's a "sponsor" link. Sorry dude no conspiracy here.

Anywho, I have to go get my overalls on and fire up the spray equipment. So many highways..... So little time.

Cheers and beers, Mark

Last edited by KCV6; 09-27-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM
init4fun

Dude, seriously, it's a small banner add. There is one for another company as well. I didn't bring up HK, you did.

LOLZ at the "afforded the absolute control".

If I'm a sewing my quilt and someone else chooses to bring HK into the discussion (as you did) then yeah I'll probably comment. News flash. It's not your forum or mine.

Did you right click the add or adds and look at the properties. it's a "sponsor" link. Sorry dude no conspiracy here.

Anywho, I have to go get my overalls on and fire up the spray equipment. So many highways..... So little time.

Cheers and beers, Mark
Gee Mark , I can't help but notice that you drop your little pile of BS regarding toppers the minute your called on it . So tell me , where EXACTLY here on RCU did John say that HK is going out of business ? Cause I just can't seem to find it here . Or was that just one of those little smokescreens that you put up so well ? And just to clue ya in , It's not just HK that people don't like the between headings ads for , that type of intrusive advertising is beginning to be seen as the rude intrusion that it is by MANY more than just the HK haters club , It's just that HK is such an easy target . Now run along , that spraypaint ain't gonna paint itself .

I'll be waiting to see all the great posts you make to the multirotor subforum here . That IS supposed to be your interest in RC , Correct ? I think HK has got the first 20 or so of your posts , why not make the next 20 about something else other than browbeating the HK thing ? Or maybe , JUST MAYBE , the HK thing really IS the only reason your here ?????????????????
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The truce sure didn't last long,, love the pot/kettle black thing too,, too funny.

Have a fun weekend guys,, good flying weather around here.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM
scale only 4 me

To answer the OP, it must be a google thing, I get HK ads just about everywhere I go that uses Google ads as a sponsor,, it's kinda annoying actually,, not the ads themselves, but the fact they use my browsing habits to try and sell me on things,, It's pretty much like TV ads I guess, they figure even if you're not in the market for a truck today,, getting Dennis Leary to shout about Torque over and over will eventually make me give up the Chevy,,, not likely,,, I had a Ford truck once

Have fun
Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
The truce sure didn't last long,,
You may notice , that I extended to Mark an olive branch in Plane Jim's where to get NIMH thread , and Mark didn't respond .Ok , so I took that lack of response to mean that he really IS just here to start trouble with anyone who speaks badly of HK . Yep , I make a swipe at HK and mark makes a swipe at me , just like old times allright . You'll notice that I did NOT post to the 3D airplanes "HK Sucks" thread cause I don't fly 3D airplanes .... WELL NEITHER DOES MARK !!!! And yet he just couldn't resist having to post his BS there ... Now you tell me whose callin whose kettle black ? I'd say that black kettle seems to fit him perfectly
Old 09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
scale only 4 me

yes... I think if well could all just respectfully disagree it would be much more pleasant aroud here... I gave up even looking in the AMA section for just that reason. .too many fights constantly,, hate to block this section too.. it's get close though.

Im going to do my best to refrain from my occasional smart astris comments,,, maybe we all can stop the tangoing

later
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
init4fun

yes... I think if well could all just respectfully disagree it would be much more pleasant aroud here... I gave up even looking in the AMA section for just that reason. .too many fights constantly,, hate to block this section too.. it's get close though.

Im going to do my best to refrain from my occasional smart astris comments,,, maybe we all can stop the tangoing

later
Well Said Scale , Thank You for that . I'll freely admit to getting uppity on occasion myself , and I appreciate your gesture in regards to not arguing over the minute details of our hobby . I realize that many folks have their favorite , and not favorite vendors and that the infighting over who likes/dislikes which ones is a big waste of time and doesn't look good to outsiders who happen upon our forum . That's why I asked Mark if we could leave the RCG grudges back there where they belong when he first started crap with me here . Now I did comment about how I dislike HK's between header advertisements and made a joke about them glomming for every bit of ad space they can get , and again that was too much for Mark and he just HAD to give me grief about my post . I slap HK and Mark tries to slap me . I havn't attacked him , I slapped HK , but he always just has to butt in anywhere that HK is mentioned in a bad light , as in the perfect example of the 3D fixed wing forum he just couldn't stay out of . Now , again , I'm perfectly willing to let Mark walk his way and me mine , but you just KNOW that the next time someone slaps HK , and I agree with their comment , that Mark will be right there attacking me for my opinion of HK . That's what he does . That's all he does . That's why he's here . His posting history here tells the story far better that I ever could ...

Now , I reserve the right to discuss ANY vendor , and whether I am happy with them or not , without being personally attacked by anyone . I will not personally attack anyone else for which vendor they like or dislike . How many other posters here would like to make this agreement ?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM
KCV6
Banned

To answer the OP, it must be a google thing, I get HK ads just about everywhere I go that uses Google ads as a sponsor,, it's kinda annoying actually,, not the ads themselves, but the fact they use my browsing habits to try and sell me on things,, It's pretty much like TV ads I guess, they figure even if you're not in the market for a truck today,, getting Dennis Leary to shout about Torque over and over will eventually make me give up the Chevy,,, not likely,,, I had a Ford truck once

Have fun
Scale, as I originally posted, right click on the add and select properties and you get this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imag...es.com/120.jpg

It's not Google adds, it implies it's a sponsor add. as part of the URL says "forum/images/sponsors"

I asked Ken about it,

Cheers. Mark

Last edited by KCV6; 09-27-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM
denzen

chill dude u get ads in free apps too
Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I travel to Europe every summer, and do research places, hotels, etc. THEN, I start getting adds of hotels I researched or used popping up in unexpected places (also HobbyKing).

The solution is to delete all your cookies, and the problem disappears. Well, until you go again to those sites, and they leave cookies in your computer. I clean the cookies once a week, and that works for me.

Gerry
Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 AM
scale only 4 me

Ya know what bugs me more is that so called "announcment" by Nathan, which is a trick to get you to look at a advertisement for a vendor,,, why not just buy banner space than trick me into looking at something. I think we're getting screwed there,,, pun intended

I guess this is the new thing,,bait and switch in the RC forums,, sigh
Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 AM
scale only 4 me

Scale, as I originally posted, right click on the add and select properties and you get this:

It's not Google adds, it implies it's a sponsor add. as part of the URL says "forum/images/sponsors"

I asked Ken about it,

Cheers. Mark
Where are you seeing that? because I see a HK mini banner next to the Batteries & Chargers,
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Joe 1320

Gee Mark , I can't help but notice that you drop your little pile of BS regarding toppers the minute your called on it . So tell me , where EXACTLY here on RCU did John say that HK is going out of business ? Cause I just can't seem to find it here . Or was that just one of those little smokescreens that you put up so well ? And just to clue ya in , It's not just HK that people don't like the between headings ads for , that type of intrusive advertising is beginning to be seen as the rude intrusion that it is by MANY more than just the HK haters club , It's just that HK is such an easy target . Now run along , that spraypaint ain't gonna paint itself .

I'll be waiting to see all the great posts you make to the multirotor subforum here . That IS supposed to be your interest in RC , Correct ? I think HK has got the first 20 or so of your posts , why not make the next 20 about something else other than browbeating the HK thing ? Or maybe , JUST MAYBE , the HK thing really IS the only reason your here ?????????????????

probably not just for HK. It's likely that the hobby of trolling is first priority. If HK were not there, the situation would likely be a change of topics and not a change in behavior. He simply loves to bait others into an arguments for no reason, a confrontational style of debate that is real bold when hiding behind a keyboard. attempting to suck people into an arguments and badgering them to show his superiority IS his hobby. He cannot simply leave people along, he has to pick apart statements, data mine old posts and do whatever he can to throw others under a bus......he never shuts up. Ever notice he flocks to a negative HK thread like flies on stink and starts asking all kinds of belittling questions in an attempt to make others look like a fool? Good riddance to a king troll.

many times these little banners with ads are taken from your cookies. Whatever sites you visit end up being data mined and ads based on your browsing history are inserted. Not always, but a pretty fair share work that way.

Last edited by Joe 1320; 10-22-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: to tell the brutal truth about a troll
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Oregon Craig

Well, maybe you can now sponsor a specific forum. That's cool. I just thought it looked like some type of formatting bug at first.

Welcome, newcomer, to RCU!

"Cheers" as you would say.

I asked Ken about it,

Cheers. Mark