Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

This Takes Danger To A New Level

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

This Takes Danger To A New Level

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:11 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my humble opinion the biggest danger emanates from the device itself and no not to people in the vicinity of the flying field but actually the owner who runs the engine and onlookers in any.
I am sure in most cases the thing would blow apart given the quality control that goes into most of the equipment originating from that corner of the world. And thus pose a real danger to people who are in close vicinity
Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mchandrayan
In my humble opinion the biggest danger emanates from the device itself and no not to people in the vicinity of the flying field but actually the owner who runs the engine and onlookers in any.
I am sure in most cases the thing would blow apart given the quality control that goes into most of the equipment originating from that corner of the world. And thus pose a real danger to people who are in close vicinity
I have never heard of a pulse jet engine blowing up, and I would say it would be impossible for that to happen. These engines are just an open ended pipe. These things do explode at a rate of about 250 times a second. There is nothing for an explosion to push against to cause the pulse jet engine to explode into pieces.
Where do you people get these crazy ideas anyway?

Greg
Old 10-29-2013, 03:02 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
Greg,
Thanks for the info on the "cupping" of the petal valves. I never had a valve that would not sit flat but will try your procedure if I do.
Art,

I don't think that cupping the valve was for overcoming a petal valve that didn't sit flat, but to make sure that the valve closed completely. Most people just figured the explosion did a good job of closing the petal valves. HA
There were also modifications for the valve retainer, the flowjector, and the intake holes in the head. These were all speed modifications. I did get a very nice flowjector with 12 holes in it. I think I got this from Bailey when he was in business. The 12 holes work well to atomize the fuel thoroughly
I'll send you a PM with Mike Hazels address

Greg.

Last edited by OldRookie; 10-29-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mchandrayan
Actually the real danger is the noise (if you are in close proximity and have no protection) and the temperature (if you are stupid enough to touch it while running). So, no, no real danger actually. Have you actually seen one running in real life?

Gerry
Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always wanted to try out a Pulse Jet on a RC plane. But unfortunately I have noit found a place I could run one without getting everyone living nearby all upset with mE.

The control line speed planes using pulse jets show them to be fast and powerful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9-weExLUA8

Here is a video of one Pulse jet powered RC plane"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDN...3F1969&index=3

this one looked to be pretty good on the thrust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKO...90B828313F1969
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

you are correct. the noise is over the threshold for damage to the ears.
I dont think anyone will be stupid enough to touch it. The tailpipe turns red hot a few seconds after it starts
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
ToolJoint

Originally Posted by United_Pilot
Years ago, these were for sale in Model Aviation Magazine. That was before the nanny state minions began infecting the country.
LIKE...Unbelievable what we have become. Hey did you know that football causes concussions?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by earlwb
I always wanted to try out a Pulse Jet on a RC plane. But unfortunately I have noit found a place I could run one without getting everyone living nearby all upset with mE.

The control line speed planes using pulse jets show them to be fast and powerful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9-weExLUA8

Here is a video of one Pulse jet powered RC plane"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDN...3F1969&index=3

this one looked to be pretty good on the thrust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKO...90B828313F1969
Those are all Bruice Simpson videos from New Zealand. I won't go into any of the issues but suffice to say he is a bit of a rougue. Problem with Pulse Jets is that there are very few places in the US where you could actually fly one so they are sort of self limiting.

Recently we saw where Trappy got fined for flying FPV in a very unsafe manner. There was some character on here a while back who was really proud of the fact that he flew his FPV over his neighborhood far beyond his ability to see it, he even did this at night so he said. I can tell you with certainty that no one in my club would do that kind of nonsense but they are all seasoned modelers who respect the hobby. The hobby has always been pretty much self policing because of that respect for one another and not wishing to do harm.

I'm worried that with renewed interest and an easy source of access some marshmallow head will strap one of these to a foamy and fly into something combustable. How do I know that? Do you really have to ask. It will make the news and will be one more reason for the public to clammor that RC flying should be much more tightly controlled or outlawed.

Last edited by topspin; 10-29-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

topspin,
Kindly enlighten me how the access of model pulse jets, which can be strapped to a foamy and flown into something combustible (your words, not mine) will result in public clamor???
Model pulse jets have been available to the public since the late 1950's. They have been flown in countless control line speed and scale models in addition to many RC models. I have never heard or read of any problems resulting from pulse jet operation since being an AMA member since the early 60's.
Have you EVER operated a model pulse jet on a test bench, control line model or RC model??? Or, do you form your opinions from youtube video clips???
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
topspin,
Kindly enlighten me how the access of model pulse jets, which can be strapped to a foamy and flown into something combustible (your words, not mine) will result in public clamor???
Model pulse jets have been available to the public since the late 1950's. They have been flown in countless control line speed and scale models in addition to many RC models. I have never heard or read of any problems resulting from pulse jet operation since being an AMA member since the early 60's.
Have you EVER operated a model pulse jet on a test bench, control line model or RC model??? Or, do you form your opinions from youtube video clips???
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Only modelers know that Art. Joe public only knows about pulse jets from the History Channel as German terror weapons. The majority of people have no knowlege of RC other than what they see on the news.

If you read my posts you would know that I did operate one as a kid back in the 60's. We only ran it static and never flew the thing but I sure remember how loud it was and how hot that sucker got in nothing flat,
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 PM
topspin

I just remembered I had a ramjet engine at about the same time. It had a fuel tank that looked like a crossman CO2 tank. That was positioned in the front of the tube and was filled with lighter fluid. I assume now that it also served to provide some compression of the incoming air. You had to heat the fuel tank until a good stream of slame shot out of it. Once that happened it was whipped around a pole suspended by piano wire connected to a strong line. If you gould get it going fast enough it would take off and really whiz around the pole until the fuel ran out. Fun but boring. It also got very hot but was no where near as loud as the pulse jet. It also didn't have nuch thrust and the whole way it was made precluded it from being anyting but a toy. I don't think you could get a plane going fast enough to get it to operating speed anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 AM
siberianhusky

Cool I had one of these as an early teen!
Guess what? Never caused a fire or explosion, still have my hearing and all my fingers, was a really cool toy! Ran it in the local school yard along with 1/2a C/L stuff. OMG all with no adult supervision.
Really sucks what society has become, so glad I'm not growing up with these kind of paranoids running around forecasting doom and gloom.
Walked home from school alone, never wore bike helmets, got kicked out of the house early morning and was expected to entertain myself until dinner time all summer.......
Think I may have to pick one of these up for nostalgic purposes.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by siberianhusky
Cool I had one of these as an early teen!
Guess what? Never caused a fire or explosion, still have my hearing and all my fingers, was a really cool toy! Ran it in the local school yard along with 1/2a C/L stuff. OMG all with no adult supervision.
Really sucks what society has become, so glad I'm not growing up with these kind of paranoids running around forecasting doom and gloom.
Walked home from school alone, never wore bike helmets, got kicked out of the house early morning and was expected to entertain myself until dinner time all summer.......
Think I may have to pick one of these up for nostalgic purposes.
Guess what, I did have a fire one time, put it out with a garden hose. I also survived so what. John and several others were good enough to add some really interesting information to the discussion. I appears that you on the other hand only wanted to add a personal attack and a rather nasty one at that.

All of us over the age of 60 walked to school barefooted in the snow uphill both ways so you're not special in that regard. By all means please do buy one and be sure to let us all know how well it flys.

Last edited by topspin; 10-30-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM
GerKonig

"All of us over the age of 60 walked to school barefooted in the snow uphill both ways so you're not special in that regard. "

I just wanted to add that we avoided stepping in the yellow snow, while walking barefooted uphill, always uphill...

Gerry
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM
falcon_56

Anything that gets our current and future generations excited to go outside and try something built on their own can only be good for all of us. We are turning into an online society that lives inside screens.

If pulsejets get regulated and banned then the whole hobby will get banned eventually. Knives rotating at 10000 rpm, explosive batteries and fuels. Lets face it, this hobby is not chess and there are many risks that are to be managed.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Danger is not going anywhere.

JohnBuckner, that's a terrific story. Thanks very much!

Pulsejets have been run in the USA on controlline for many years. The AMA includes speed records for controlling pulsejets. See: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/n...ds09-16-13.pdf

In the UK, they fly them. See: http://www.frequency.com/video/2008-...11/-/5-2553867

RC pulsejet models have been around for a while as well. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Ar7gb4tQ

It's pretty obvious that pulsejets are perfectly safe as long as they are used in the appropriate environment and the operator is competent and careful. Of course that is true for ALL aspects of model aviation, so it is silly to pretend that these engines somehow need special restrictions or regulations that are different from any other aspect of model aviation.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I don't think we need more regulations from the AMA or even FAA. There sure is some danger to these, but a spinning prop is not any less dangerous then a pulse jet...
Some of these will end up in the hands of a newbie, they'll start them up in their backyard once and likely put them away, because it is more noise and power that they could handle.
The real danger is that your club could loose their field after too many noise complaints - and that's bad enough.

So your club should decide whether or not to allow them, I can see operations limited to certain times of the day, certain days of the year. These are probably not for everyday flying, but sure they are part of our hobby and there should be a place for pulse jets.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

I can't believe the nerve of some Hobby stores coming out with new items!

Last edited by keyman; 10-31-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hahaha,, you guys all up trying to use Logic on those that think with emotions,, epic Fail every time
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Hahaha,, you guys all up trying to use Logic on those that think with emotions,, epic Fail every time
You got that right, all that emotional nostalgic drivel about the good old days. Lets face it, logic dictates that an idiot with no experience will do something stupid in spite of anything we say or do. Very spot on post.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by topspin
You got that right, all that emotional nostalgic drivel about the good old days. Lets face it, logic dictates that an idiot with no experience will do something stupid in spite of anything we say or do. Very spot on post.
Exactly, not just an idiot w/o experience does something stupid. Doctors with a lot of experience in the operating room do stupid things now an then. Extremely experienced pilots do stupid things and get killed (all the time). Does that mean we will not allow surgery and aviation? Name just one human activity where humans never did something stupid:-) That does not mean we have to get rid of humanity.

I think that the idea banning pulsejets because they are dangerous has one fundamental flaw. It is stupid.

Gerry
Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Exactly, not just an idiot w/o experience does something stupid. Doctors with a lot of experience in the operating room do stupid things now an then. Extremely experienced pilots do stupid things and get killed (all the time). Does that mean we will not allow surgery and aviation? Name just one human activity where humans never did something stupid:-) That does not mean we have to get rid of humanity.

I think that the idea banning pulsejets because they are dangerous has one fundamental flaw. It is stupid.

Gerry

So what's up with all of this talk about banning Pulse Jets? I never said they should be banned and I don't think they should be. I did wonder about regulating them and low and behold init4fun came up with the AMA guidelines for the safe operation of them. That's all that is really needed, that and to make sure that a noob understands they need to pay attention. Besides, they are so loud there are very few places left in the US where you can even fly one. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt because they didn't realize what they are dealing with. If you have ever operated one then you know they can be scarry and you really need to be careful in handling one but nowhere did I ever say they should be banned. People sure do like to make stuff up.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 PM
warningshot

So what's up with all of this talk about banning Pulse Jets? I never said they should be banned and I don't think they should be. I did wonder about regulating them and low and behold init4fun came up with the AMA guidelines for the safe operation of them. That's all that is really needed, that and to make sure that a noob understands they need to pay attention. Besides, they are so loud there are very few places left in the US where you can even fly one. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt because they didn't realize what they are dealing with. If you have ever operated one then you know they can be scarry and you really need to be careful in handling one but nowhere did I ever say they should be banned. People sure do like to make stuff up.
Why do you say there are very few places to fly them. Have you ever been outside of your home town?
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by warningshot
Why do you say there are very few places to fly them. Have you ever been outside of your home town?
I have been all over this country and most of the flying fields I have seen east of the Mississippi are in areas that are in or near populated areas. And out west? Even the field off of Iron Horse road in Las Vegas is now right across the street from a housing development. I suppose if you live in El Centro you could drive 40 miles or so to Kelso or Erp and find a suitable place but the truth is that most club fields are not that far from homes and businesses.

Now if you want to go find some deserted spot t fly I suppose you can but there may be property issues and that goes for any RC activity, not just jets. There also may be AMA insurance issues in such a case if you were to get hurt or cause property damage. So I think it's safe to say there are far more places in the US where the noise would negate being able to use such a power plant. If you are lucky enough, depending on your definition of lucky, to live in the middle of nowhere then yes, I suppose you can fly whatever you like. Sounds to me like you may not have gotten around that much.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

You do have the gift of spin,, your user name makes sense to me now,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.