Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fuselage Hangar

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Bikerboy53
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuselage Hangar

Hello all,

Been trying to figure out how I can store the fuse's of all my aircraft in order to keep em off the garage floor due to the never ending fear of one of em getting stepped on. It appears that I may or may NOT have found a good solution. I was in home depot last weekend and I stumbled upon this sort rail type rack system where the rail is screwed into wall studs and then the hooks actually clip on to this rail, I thought this was a really kool idea, but now I'm not so sure which leads to my question, is there anyone that hangs their aircraft being 15+ lbs on the wall by its tail?....too much weight on the stab?....

Thanks in advance

Biker
Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 PM
hookedonrc

I do, but probably not that heavy. I have the clip rail system, but slightly modified. I built a "L" shaped shelf and then on the front facing, I added 3/4" dowels with pipe insulation to protect the planes finish. Give me to morrow to take a picture or two and I will post them. The thing I like about it is that the shelf can be moved up and down as necessary, and a couple of long brackets with the insulation can store the wings.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I hang them like this

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a6222132-38-a6206147-38-a6107359-72-DSCN1378.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1936135  
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM
hookedonrc

Here are the pics of my plane storage set up. I have also included one that I use for my parkflyers. The parkflyer rack looks crooked because it is. I just haven't glued it yet and the way it is built, I can always add more to the top if I want. Of course, eventually it will fall over... If you look underneath of the ultra stick lite in the 2nd picture, you can see where I bolted the shelf to the brackets. This keeps it from just sliding off and the brackets have holes in them already. And as you add different planes, you can move it up or down as needed. I had to do that when i put the Ultra Stick up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4033.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	1936277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	1936278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	1936279  

Last edited by hookedonrc; 11-03-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Bikerboy53

VERY well done H!...I was thinking about something like that but with limited garage space (the kids ARE all outta the house finally) due to things still in the garage that shouldn't be, I decided to go this route with the "clip/rack" system...I was thinking about putting a hook near the nose of the heavier birds to take pressure off the tail, but not so much that the tail would disengage from its hook and fall...

Originally Posted by hookedonrc
Here are the pics of my plane storage set up. I have also included one that I use for my parkflyers. The parkflyer rack looks crooked because it is. I just haven't glued it yet and the way it is built, I can always add more to the top if I want. Of course, eventually it will fall over... If you look underneath of the ultra stick lite in the 2nd picture, you can see where I bolted the shelf to the brackets. This keeps it from just sliding off and the brackets have holes in them already. And as you add different planes, you can move it up or down as needed. I had to do that when i put the Ultra Stick up.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Bikerboy53

Nice

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
i hang them like this

[attach=config]1936135[/attach]
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by Bikerboy53
VERY well done H!...I was thinking about something like that but with limited garage space (the kids ARE all outta the house finally) due to things still in the garage that shouldn't be, I decided to go this route with the "clip/rack" system...I was thinking about putting a hook near the nose of the heavier birds to take pressure off the tail, but not so much that the tail would disengage from its hook and fall...
Depending on the plane LG type, you could run a hook up from the landing gear on each side. Then instead of using wooded dowels like I did, use the PVC like on my foamy rack an elbow at the end with a section of pipe added and covered with pipe insulation. That should keep the tail in place. And you could use shorter hanging rods on the rack itself. I used long ones so that I can move the tail out away from the shelving if needed. It also lets me overlap the tails like you see in the pics.