Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA Supports FPV and Multi-Rotor

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: Should the AMA endorse and support FPV?
Yes They Should Support FPV
42.86%
No They Should Not Support FPV
57.14%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

AMA Supports FPV and Multi-Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Supports FPV and Multi-Rotor

Do you think the AMA should endorse and support FPV?

Yes

No
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm...they have. So what's your point/issue?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf
Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I voted yes , and here's why ;

The AMA already has in place , as Major Tom has said , guidelines for the safe use of not only FPV but of multirotor craft as well . To examine the suggested use for AMA condoned FPV you must have a spotter who has line of sight view of the craft at all times during the flight , with the presumption that the craft won't be flown further than the spotter can see it . This , by the LOS requirement for the spotter, is going to ensure that the craft remains pretty darned close to the flying field where it's being operated from . Now I darned right well know that these folks flying them over people's houses are not following ANY of the AMA guidelines and are not covered within the AMA's sanctioned description of such models . If your question was "unrestricted FPV" , as in the dolts who don't follow the AMA's guidelines and DO fly them miles away from their non existent LOS spotter's view , well then yea , that kind of behavior should be , and is I would hope , frowned upon by the AMA just as flying outside of any of the other guidelines would be as well ....

Last edited by init4fun; 11-07-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:22 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by init4fun
I voted yes , and here's why ;

The AMA already has in place , as Major Tom has said , guidelines for the safe use of not only FPV but of multirotor craft as well . To examine the suggested use for AMA condoned FPV you must have a spotter who has line of sight view of the craft at all times during the flight , with the presumption that the craft won't be flown further than the spotter can see it . This , by the LOS requirement for the spotter, is going to ensure that the craft remains pretty darned close to the flying field where it's being operated from . Now I darned right well know that these folks flying them over people's houses are not following ANY of the AMA guidelines and are not covered within the AMA's sanctioned description of such models . If your question was "unrestricted FPV" , as in the dolts who don't follow the AMA's guidelines and DO fly them miles away from their non existent LOS spotter's view , well then yea , that kind of behavior should be , and is I would hope , frowned upon by the AMA just as flying outside of any of the other guidelines would be as well ....
I am well aware of the AMA's guidelines for FPV but that is not what prompted me to start this poll.

As recently as last summer there were two camps and one was saying that the AMA was trying to distance themselves from FPV and Multi-rotor, not sure where that came from. My thoughts are that RC is RC no mater how it is packaged and as always common sense goes a long way in how it gets used.

My neighbor and I built a fairly sophisticated FPV slow Stick with a moveable camera, .75 watt (input) 2.4 GHZ transmitter using MMICs and we even had GPS screen overlay. This was in early 2006 so it was not called FPV yet. We tried using only a video screen to fly it and found that it was difficult to fly without a direct line of sight to the airplane since the view through the camera didn't give enough information even with speed and altitude displayed. The problem was that we had no way to accuratley guage the attitude in a turn. The only reaon I mentioned this is so that other will know that I was among the first to do model FPV on a small scale electric plane so I'm not just blowing smoke here.
We sort of gave up on FPV after the novelty wore off in favor of experimenting with high efficiency (extended flight) electrics and are still doing that now.

I recall the AMA came out with FPV guidelines around 2008 and I think they have since ammended them.

Which brings me to this: http://rcadvisor.com/relaxed-ama-fpv-rules-coming and this is why I started the poll.

I would like to get the communities input of this given some recent flak from the FAA.

Last edited by topspin; 11-07-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM
MajorTomski

But your questions are right up there with: "Have you decied to stop beating your wife?" Yes or No?

The AMA IS supporting the development of HOBBY RELATED FPV. They've done that. What more do you want?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
But your questions are right up there with: "Have you decied to stop beating your wife?" Yes or No?

The AMA IS supporting the development of HOBBY RELATED FPV. They've done that. What more do you want?
Just because the AMA supports it doesn't mean that everyone in the hobby does. The AMA has, on occasion, done some things that did not reflect the majority of the members. I just want to hear what others think, that's all.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
init4fun

The AMA IS supporting the development of HOBBY RELATED FPV.
Well said Tom , as well it should .

I think all too often these discussions loose sight of whether we are talkin AMA condoned FPV vs unrestricted FPV . I believe that what the AMA has set out for guidelines will result in FPV that is just as safe as anything else in our hobby . I also believe that unregulated dolts flying them through neighborhoods should be shunned as having no connection to the majority of folks who do follow the rules . We don't blame cars every time some drunk causes a wreck , we blame the rulebreaker who drank and drove while drunk . I see no reason to blame any kinds of model plane for the acts of the rulebreakers who get their hands on them , either .
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, the AMA should endorse and support FPV in the same way that they do Turbines.
while following AMA safety guidelines. (which should also be reviewed, discussed and updated.)
I completely agree with what Major Tomski and init4fun have described.
it's the AMA setting the rules and members following them that sets us apart from your basic rogue FPV guy with a big wallet and not much knowledge.

just my $0.02
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM
MajorTomski

But your question/poll doesn't ask the same question you've asked in post #6.

Why not start a thread asking are the AMA member's who read this thread in favor or against FPV?

By the way, watch the video:
http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe591...027c771373&r=0
Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM
topspin

But your question/poll doesn't ask the same question you've asked in post #6.
Nor was it meant to, it simply asks the question of AMA members do you or do you not think the AMA should endorse and support FPV? I just read an article on the AMA website saying the president of the AMA SUPPORTS FPV. How clear do you wan me to make it for you Tom?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was correct that the PPP would end up being a dismal failure [amongst a HUGE chorus of boos] and here I am once again predicting [to the same audience] that the benefits of "embracing" FPV will not out weigh the future liabilities.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 AM
topspin

I started this poll three years ago. Looks like it was relevant and the AMA really did sell us out. My position was, and has always been that multicopters and FPV should have never been entertained by the AMA. They were never looking out for the membership, they were simply looking at their bottom line. I hope it was worth it.

Last edited by topspin; 05-01-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:34 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by topspin
I started this poll three years ago. Looks like it was relevant and the AMA really did sell us out. My position was, and has always been that multicopters and FPV should have never been entertained by the AMA. They were never looking out for the membership, they were simply looking at their bottom line. I hope it was worth it.
What i'm most sad about is that I actually trusted the AMA to make a rock solid clear distinction between "lawful" FPV (#550) VS unrestricted FPV which to the greater public MEANS "drone" activity , only to have the AMA themselves be chasing the "drone dollars" in the first place ! You say "drone" to ANY person not connected with RC modeling and they think "ugly little helicopter thing peeking in my windows with it's camera" and then the AMA goes and embraces drones to the point that MA has just about became "drone news" ?

All along the EC knew and planned to abandon the traditional RCer for the promise of the drone dollar , I am Man enough to admit when I'm wrong , and in the three years since this thread , I've come to see just how wrong I was three years ago to think the AMA was looking out for anything else except it's own survival , at the expense of us who supported it all these years !