Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Basket Pricing Scams

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:21 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Basket Pricing Scams

It is getting harder to shop on-line because some websites will not publish their "low" price until you put the item in the shopping basket. Here is an example of the worst kind.... Item says $340 but actual price is $144 when you put it in the basket. Why can't manufacturer and retailers stop playing games with us? Let me be frank (hello Frank), this is not a HobbyKing bashing, BestBuy is much worse on TVs and electronic items. It always pays to shop around and get more than one price. Shop safely, get a good deal for Christmas.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_output_.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerBoard1124472-0-2894.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1947215  
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a lot of cases the vendor is bound by rules not to advertise below a certain price. The practice you describe is one method to circumvent that rule.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called MAP pricing. There's all sorts of ways to get around it, instant rebates, promo codes, "price in basket", etc.

I think it's BS too, but that's the way business is conducted today.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:32 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well there is a logical reason for MAP or Minimum Advertised Price,, It makes sure a retailer that is willing to sell for pennies over cost doesn't drive away all the other potential retailers from buying from the distributor or manufacturer. This way a manufacturer has a broader reach other than just one retailer monopolizing a product line. If a guy knows Joe down the street has already cornered the market he'd never order product.

Same reason many ads in magazines say "call for price",, if they posted the MAP, which is the lowest price the can,, you'd never call,, most often the "street price" is below the MAP.

What erks me more is having to create an account to calculate shipping cost,, that's BS

Not sure how having a lower price when it goes in the basket is a scam though??
Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's not much of a payback, but I always leave the item in the cart. Some sites hold it for a short time so if they do, I don' care.