Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I Need an RC Mentor!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

How fast do you want to make this go. A automotive type window regulator would be plenty strong enough with the gear box but would be much slower and it being a 12 volt DC brushed motor can be easily reversible. This type of regulator would allow you to clamp the drive pulley direct to the shaft of the unit. The mounting bosses would allow attachment of the whole thing with 3 screws. No belts, extra pulleys etc.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1974116   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1974117   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1974118  
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Megs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
I am thinking of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slip...item2a38657259
This is so cool! Why did I not know this existed?!? I will be playing with this idea for sure. THANK YOU
Old 03-02-2014, 04:30 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I am glad I can help. And I am happy that you are interested in building something like this, this is real R&D engineering here. There is always some trial and error, believe in your goals and keep going. There is a solution for every problem and don't be afraid to ask more questions. People here are happy to answer
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 PM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Megs, I'll try to offer what advice I can. First---When your picture pops-up you'll have so much help you'll yell--STOP. OK ,a couple facts, I'm 85 and have been building models since I was maybe 7 or 8. 1st thing you can do for yourself is go online and order yourself a
Tower Hobbies catalog [ no cost ] 1-800-637-6050 they can give good advice. I' ll try to answer the motor questions but it's not mybest area, Do you have older people at home, with a credit card for you to use--carefully.?you can get much better prices on motors ect, [ credit card needed ] on lineat Hobby King-- give those two a shot .. We might go from there. [email protected]
Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Megs

Originally Posted by RCplanman
Megs, I'll try to offer what advice I can. First---When your picture pops-up you'll have so much help you'll yell--STOP. OK ,a couple facts, I'm 85 and have been building models since I was maybe 7 or 8. 1st thing you can do for yourself is go online and order yourself a
Tower Hobbies catalog [ no cost ] 1-800-637-6050 they can give good advice. I' ll try to answer the motor questions but it's not mybest area, Do you have older people at home, with a credit card for you to use--carefully.?you can get much better prices on motors ect, [ credit card needed ] on lineat Hobby King-- give those two a shot .. We might go from there. [email protected]
First of all, thank you for the info. I truly appreciate all the help.

Secondly, I do realize I look like I'm really, really young, but the fact is since I graduated (college) I've been the "older people" in my home for a while now

I'll be (hopefully) making some progress on this project next week! Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
crash1ace

To me, for overload protection, the fuse idea is sound. If you look around, you can get ones that can reset, like a circut breaker type or PTC type.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Fuses do not work well in circuits with electric motors. You need to be able to draw a high amount of current for a short time and even the time delay fuses will cut out to soon. With too much delay the whole fuse idea makes no sense....

None of our electric rc models have fuses for good reasons. But there are mechanical clutches - for good reasons.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Megs

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
Fuses do not work well in circuits with electric motors. You need to be able to draw a high amount of current for a short time and even the time delay fuses will cut out to soon. With too much delay the whole fuse idea makes no sense....

None of our electric rc models have fuses for good reasons. But there are mechanical clutches - for good reasons.
I am really excited about the mechanical clutch idea. Looking for a motor/clutch already assembled. Anyone supply that to purchase or do you have to put it all together yourself?