Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need advice from a cattle expert.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need advice from a cattle expert.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need advice from a cattle expert.

I fly on Public Land, which is host to a herd of cattle.

I'm only permitted to mow a very small area of runway, because it deprives those cattle of fodder.

So, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to flavour the grass, such that the cattle pay especial attention to the runway area ?

If I took sweetened water and sprinkled it on the grass, would the cattle be thinking, "Over here, chaps, this stuff is delicious."

Would some other flavour be more attractive? Salt?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet might work. There are cattle feeders for feeding molasses. Salt would likely damage the grass. I'd suggest just becoming expert at STOL
Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
bogbeagle

Ah, of course, molasses.

Well, I'll give it a go, I think. Nothing to lose.

At present, runway is 22 yds long by 3 yards wide. Takes some doing to land on it with anything other than a fun-fly or trainer. The problem is that, if you miss the patch or run off the end, then the grass is so long that you are likely to damage your model.

Last edited by bogbeagle; 05-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cattle prod is an effective means of discouraging them doggies. Don't worry, it won't hurt them just don't grab the business end yourself. Another thing you might try is to put up pictures of Big Macs and Quarter Pounders around the perimiter.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
bogbeagle

No, I don't want to discourage them. I want them to pay particular attention to the runway area ... 'cos the grass is too long for flying, and I am not permitted to cut it myself.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Redback

BB. You will find that encouraging cattle onto your runway area brings its own problems.

In soft weather their hooves will cut the surface up badly, and at other times you will find that you have to shift a lot of waste material before you fly!!

Terry
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago, near Austin, TX, we flew freeflight in a pasture with cattle. We parked and launched from the crest of a gently sloping hill. I was flying a red and yellow 1/2A airplane. The entire pasture was covered with red and yellow Indian blanket flowers. I watched the airplane DT and land, but could not find it. It got dark and we had to leave. We came back the next morning, and the airplane was plainly visible. The cattle had come to look at it and tramped a 30 ft circle around it flat. No damage to the airplane.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson
Many years ago, near Austin, TX, we flew freeflight in a pasture with cattle. We parked and launched from the crest of a gently sloping hill. I was flying a red and yellow 1/2A airplane. The entire pasture was covered with red and yellow Indian blanket flowers. I watched the airplane DT and land, but could not find it. It got dark and we had to leave. We came back the next morning, and the airplane was plainly visible. The cattle had come to look at it and tramped a 30 ft circle around it flat. No damage to the airplane.
That was mighty nice of them, I had an old milk cow once that on really cold mornings all I had to do was put the bucket under her and hold on while she jumped up and down.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:58 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Redback
BB. You will find that encouraging cattle onto your runway area brings its own problems.

In soft weather their hooves will cut the surface up badly, and at other times you will find that you have to shift a lot of waste material before you fly!!

Terry
So true! Sometime after our recent winter thaw someone rode a horse(s) around our field and pit area while the ground was still very soft. Some of the hoof print holes are more than 6" deep. It's taking a lot of dirt and time to fill in the holes. We fly at a county park so there isn't much we can do about this kind of vandalism. They allow horses in the park but they are suppose to stay on the trails .
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 PM
abelard

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
if you miss the patch or run off the end,
...or if you run over a prairie frisbee.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
bogbeagle

Originally Posted by abelard
...or if you run over a prairie frisbee.
That's a common event. The important thing is to clean it off, asap, 'cos it can permanently stain the covering or paintwork.