Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Quad Pilot Stands Up To Police

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Quad Pilot Stands Up To Police

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Lineman8888
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything worth doing is illegal. Why ??? In the 1700's a small group of eh radicals had enough and moved to a new place where they could be free. I wish we had the same option as an Electrician I can go work anywhere Ive quite had enough of public safety, greater good. Words used by people who want to control other people. For the sake of having control. We as individuals are not any more safer now post 9/11 than we were pre 9/11. Honestly, I think the federal government allowed maybe even paid the bill to allow muslim murders to kill Americans so they could have more control and make another war to boost economy. America was once a nation based on biblical freedoms. Now its full of war lords called republician and democrat senators and reps. RC flying is a way we could defy their tight grip of control and they are trying to knock us out before we become a problem. As a nation Americans are idiots! They vote on fear and what people on television tell them to vote so rather than rc planes helis quads we are now "drones" a new technology out to steal kill and destroy! So quite soon prib 2017 our hobby will be confined to indoors. Ive been saying this more and more often unfortunately. Anything worth doing is illegal.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

the police do not know everything
Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You Rob for trying to bring a bit of sense to this thread . The bottom line here to me is , the place to fight a perceived legal injustice is NOT at the wrong end of the barrel of the law's gun , but to , if it means that much to someone , become involved with the legal process FIRST before unleashing the keyboard warriors to go to war . Far too many armchair quarterbacks will yell "FIGHT" from the sidelines but how many would put their OWN butt in front of the gun ? Give the system in place a chance , find of if there actually IS a restriction placed on your use of this public land and if so challenge it the right way by getting enough folks to vote with ya that your activity should be allowed . Maybe THEN , after all legal avenues have been exhausted , if ya STILL feel like ya got screwed , then go beat the war drums and see if any of the keyboard commandos show up .

Anyway , it's good to see that there are at least a few level headed folks trying to inject logic into this machofest ...
Thanks Init and you are right. There is a time and place to pick your battles. Direct confrontation with the front line is rarely the best option.

If you watch the video closely the poor guy was shaking the entire time the Lieutenant was talking to him.

Last edited by Rob2160; 06-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

The AMA website lists 150,000 members. There are 780,000 police in the USA.
312,900,000 citizens vs 780,000 police (about 400:1). I'll take those odds.

The bottom line here to me is , the place to fight a perceived legal injustice is NOT at the wrong end of the barrel of the law's gun ,
I'll agree to heartily disagree. The BEST place to start is at ground level, where the injustice starts.
If more folks stood up to the police in the first place, showing they're not cowed by authority, the better. The smart thing for the officers to do in this case would have been to get the handout, educate themselves on the park rules, and apologize to the young man (who knew his rights better than they did). That would've shown courage. They're so used to bullying and intimidation and sheeple blindly doing what they're told, they were surprised someone showed a little backbone.

I think Washington, Franklin and Jefferson would have done what Jon Hair did, not back down and skulk away with his tail between his legs.

Last edited by eddieC; 06-27-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by eddieC
312,900,000 citizens vs 780,000 police (about 400:1). I'll take those odds.
Do you honestly think 100% of the public would support you in a fight to fly your quads in public areas?

Sorry, that is just not realistic.

I would bet my favourite radio that the majority would be against you.

The truth is, these quads, planes and helicopters have the potential to be very dangerous if something goes wrong and it is well documented that they have killed and injured people over the years.

You will never get majority general public support of unrestricted flying of these aircraft in public areas.

Edit: A very quick google search found this.

Specifically, 85.3 percent of persons responding to the national survey Montana State conducted stated that they were supportive of the law enforcement community, whereas only 10 percent stated that they were not.

Last edited by Rob2160; 06-27-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now won't the park simply issue a rule that model aircraft can't be flown in the park?

-Ed B.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by astrohog
Just think.....................where might we be if nobody stood up to the Crown.........................SAD, SAD, SAD...................

Astro
I'd say there is a huge difference between this event and the complete and total domination over a population...
Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM
eddieC

Do you honestly think 100% of the public would support you in a fight to fly your quads in public areas?
Many parks allow RC ops, including (until this week) national parks. I've been to a few.

it is well documented that they have killed and injured people over the years
If you're talking RC planes & helis, true. Quads involved in serious injury or death, I'm not aware of any. Despite deaths in our hobby, no one has called for further regs or a ban.

Regarding the Montana reference, what exactly was the question?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Lineman8888
My Feedback: (3)

All you individuals saying its the law its the law the police were nice. You are part of the problem! We the people need to take authority away from the police and take laws that ought not to be laws off the books and take any and all power away from the so called law makers. Doesnt anyone even know why we had represenatives in the first place? In my opinion the hole use of a represenative is outdated and pointless! We have internet, video chat around the world, we dont need to send someobe somewhere to represent us and our views we can do it ourselves! Proof American Idol and any other media sharing media voting outlet! It wont ever happen because Americans are ant like idiots! However, Zi would love to put power back in the hands of the people! We the people in order to from a more perfect union... You idiot Americans! These past two generations have ruined Anerica and everything it was originally created for!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

Peeing in a public has a ordinance I am sure. They could probably whip out a violation code. 
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM
MikeSell

Kensington park has large changing rooms at the beaches with no roofs. A couple of my co-workers mused about flying a copter with a camera there. I quickly responded that that action might cause quite a problem for the RC community at large. Their response was that its cheap to get a unit and they don't care about flying RC anyway.

We are under fire for consumers behaving badly. I say consumers because most of those behaving badly are not AMA members or have a large investment in RC. The FAA now is looking at regulation to fit the perceived problem. Although the government has been lenient to our hobby we have no written right to be allowed to fly RC like the right to bear arms.

Learn from gun rights activists where a few individuals behaving badly garnered massive debate and legislation. A gun owner may be allowed to fire his gun on his own property without interference until a neighbor complains. Once you irritate another they will look for every avenue to curtail the activity, siting every accident across the country in the last 10 years or using sound ordinance & community apprehension. Our constitution guaranties their right to their gun ownership but restrictions and limitations abound.

The officers may have been warned about cameras and bath houses. They have to err on the side of caution or risk their jobs for not stopping an offensive action. This is a new technology and its future is being questioned. Lets be good ambassadors for the hobby.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

I am responding to the last post about using the quad to get a cheep thrill. The changing rooms with no roof. That's a sick mind.
Honestly those copters give me the creeps when flying. I think "spy drone". Yea they are cool. But what I see they fly and sit there. No knife edge flight , inverted hovers or anything else that a aerobatic aircraft can do. They seem to just go up and sit there. Perfect for cameras.
The movie industry has been using RC copters for years.
But as soon as I see one I feel like I am being watched. Not that I am.
With this said , I support AMA and the RC hobby. I understand. But now what about the non RC person ? I can see where someone's privacy may be felt ,violated.
The guys flying these quads are walking on thin ice. First with the attitude " spy copter " from the public. And the jerk flying one, spying on people getting changed in a roofless changing room. I think that act would make the evening news. But both bad for the RC hobby
Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by eddieC
Many parks allow RC ops, including (until this week) national parks. I've been to a few.

If you're talking RC planes & helis, true. Quads involved in serious injury or death, I'm not aware of any. Despite deaths in our hobby, no one has called for further regs or a ban.

Regarding the Montana reference, what exactly was the question?
The Montana reference was linked in my post, here is the full url. http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...issue_id=62009

Also here is a recent injury caused by a multirotor being flown in a public area. http://everythinggeraldton.com.au/20...njuries-drone/

CASA (FAA equivalent) is now taking legal action against the operator http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-2...aldton/5550764

Don't get me wrong, I have planes, helis and quads and love the freedom to fly them in public parks close to home.

I confirmed with local council first and they have no issue with RC flying at these parks, however that would quickly change if I hurt someone so I only fly there if the parks are empty.

If other people arrive I pack up and go home.

These are potentially dangerous devices and we each have a responsibility not to endanger the public or risk bringing a negative focus to this hobby.

Last edited by Rob2160; 06-27-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:00 PM
MikeSell

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 PM
oly 9

We as flyers have to learn many lessons. If the cops tried to stop him think of why? Do you think they thought there might be some danger here? They don't know all the facts or info, but there trying to keep safety in mind. Standing your ground is stupid. What image of RC flyers are you projecting? Does defying the authority make your cause right? If so next time you see a red light in the mirror don't pull over.
we have some problems coming for fpv drones helis in the future. Don't you think this is a technology that can have useful and dangerous effects. By being aggressive and a wise guy will not keep our hobby in the limelight in a positive manner. Only We can project an image to the public of responsibility, intelligent behavior, and safety. Remember that only we control the future of our hobby, You can do dumb stuff and destroy our opportunity. Or we can demonstrate rational behavior and attempt to keep the public on our side. The choice is up to you. PS how many of the cop bashers here were pulled over for speeding and blamed the officer for their problem? Good Luck
Old 06-27-2014, 05:34 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allamericanflyer
I'd say there is a huge difference between this event and the complete and total domination over a population...
UMMM........it's gotta start somewhere.......

Abusing one's authority is, well.........abuse....doesn't have to be total domination, it is still wrong.

This would be a completely different story if those officers were able to cite an actual municipal code or law that prohibited the use of said vehicle in the park. They could not, because there WASN'T one!!! My God people, how can you possibly believe it is OK for a police officer to MAKE UP LAWS AND RULES AND FORCE THEM ON US!!!!!!!!!!! The police DO NOT ENACT laws, they ENFORCE them, is that really hard to understand??? What's next? Maybe tomorrow the officers will hassle someone that is enjoying a 48 oz. Big Gulp in the park on the grounds that it is potentially harmful to them!

My safety is my responsibility NOT officer friendly's.

Unbelievable!

Astro
Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 PM
MikeSell

To those complaining about freedom losses...What would you feel about a quad with a camera hovering around following you? If you didn't know who was responsible or their motives wouldn't you be concerned? You are a minority of one and the majority of the public, "we the people" may be of a different opinion than you on any given subject. I am glad that we have the freedom to pursue happiness although we are not guaranteed it. Who do you call on to stop someone spying on you?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by MikeSell
To those complaining about freedom losses...What would you feel about a quad with a camera hovering around following you?
I have nothing to hide, would not be concerned in the least little bit! Would you? REALLY? WHY?

If you didn't know who was responsible or their motives wouldn't you be concerned?
NO! Please explain why you would be, because I TRULY don't get it. Are you paranoid? Are you so important that people are out to get you?

You are a minority of one and the majority of the public, "we the people" may be of a different opinion than you on any given subject. I am glad that we have the freedom to pursue happiness although we are not guaranteed it.
Thanks for speaking for the masses! Mighty BOLD of you to assume that you are of the majority! LOL!!

Who do you call on to stop someone spying on you?
First of all, I lead a law-abiding, mundane life. If someone wants to "spy" on me, they are free to do so, does not bother me in the least! If it did, I would remove myself from the situation. PERIOD. DONE. No reason to get officer friendly involved, I am sure there are much more threatening and dangerous folks roaming the streets that he should be attending to!

In summary, I am capable of taking care of myself, I only put myself in situations that I am comfortable with or am willing to assume the risk for. If I ever find myself in a situation that is uncomfortable, I simply remove myself from said situation. No need to let situation get anywhere NEAR the point that I would consider calling the "authorities".

As a tax-paying citizen I have as much right to use a public park or facility as any other tax-paying citizen. If there are no written or posted rules or laws on the books banning or regulating the flying of r/c vehicles at said park, the person exercising his right to do so has just as much right to be there as I do. If I do not want to be filmed, it is my responsibility to remove myself from the situation. It is NOT my place to confront him or tell him that he is in the wrong just because I don't like it (that would be very selfish, don't you think?).

Regards,

Astro
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 PM
rcspitfirepilot
My Feedback: (8)

Just remember we never intend for things to happen and we always think we are always in control of our aircraft. These are hi end toys with no guarantees. click link as a reminder that someone was killed by an RC helicopter last year.

http://7online.com/archive/9237643/
Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by rcspitfirepilot
Just remember we never intend for things to happen and we always think we are always in control of our aircraft. These are hi end toys with no guarantees. click link as a reminder that someone was killed by an RC helicopter last year.

Fear-mongering at its finest!

Yes, Yes, we all KNOW there are inherent dangers with our r/c toys, that is why we practice our due diligence and perform pre-flight checks, etc.

I do not have the actual statistics, but I'm pretty sure that injuries per hobby hour are FAR LESS than many of the routine things we all do everyday without thinking twice.

For instance, last year, there were TEN times the fatalities by vending machine than by r/c helicopters!!!!

OOHHH, vending machines are EVIL!! I think some regulation is in order!

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 06-27-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:23 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSell
To those complaining about freedom losses...What would you feel about a quad with a camera hovering around following you? If you didn't know who was responsible or their motives wouldn't you be concerned? You are a minority of one and the majority of the public, "we the people" may be of a different opinion than you on any given subject. I am glad that we have the freedom to pursue happiness although we are not guaranteed it. Who do you call on to stop someone spying on you?
The State does this kind of thing all the time ... for instance, all of your emails and phone calls, not to mention the drones and satellites.

Don't hear you complaining about this. Or is it OK, because the people have badges and wear costumes?
Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

With a stroke of luck, next time the police see some guy setting up his quad in the park they'll give him a wave and keep on walking rather than try to shut him down because they know he's not doing anything illegal or dangerous.

The other outcome could have been the cops shutting down every quad they see from now on because the first guy they picked on packed up and left when he didn't have to.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcspitfirepilot

According to the officer in the video he said the pilot can not control his aircraft at all times and don't tell him that he can and that it would be confiscated if he flew it. Does the same apply to a person walking their pitbull with or without a leash ? We know the media sensation of pitbulls and how dangerous they are. It also has been proven many times that a dog owner can not control their animals at all times. If said dog owner was seen with a dog with no leash(clearly written rule for the park) will the police confiscate the dog as well ?

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 06-28-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:19 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Its funny to see how far to the left and how far to the right people take this topic, it really simple. the officer explained why he was there, why he asked him to not fly in a public park, the liability issues and how the town would be responsible and how if he didn't cease how it would be taken as a last resort. The fact that the guy was just asking the officer basic questions is considered standing up to him?? I hope you all know that its perfectly legal to ask an officer questions. They are people just like you and I. what's funny to see how people read into this. Public property means its open to the public but when a potential safety issue arises then police are called. Remember, someone had to call on this guy flying the quad. Its not the police officers fault for having to respond and its not the guys fault someone called on him. The best thing to do is ask the officer questions on what to do and just leave and find a better suited place. Remember, this was being recorded for your entertainment don't be fooled. And people keep referring back to Washington and other founding leaders as if they would have cared about some r/c quad copter and applying it to liberty and such. This country was founded on freedom of religion, limited power, personal freedoms, and unnecessary taxes. And we have too much of all now. Unfortunately you all know that if this quad pilot hit some person, child or dog they would go after the deep pockets of the town/city and hold them responsible for allowing the quads. And lets not forget that the media has painted quads as "drones" in a negative light for over 3 years now, so you should expect people to complain and whine. Besides I joined an AMA club to get away from situations like this and liability issues! So as some see this as "Win" for standing up to some unknown basic patrol officer who knows nothing or little on r/c airplanes or FAA regulations. your fight isn't with him, its with the people who are reckless with quads and the evil "drones". Videos like this only make things worse for us folks who follow the rules and try very had to preserve our hobby. wake up.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 AM
ludfleet
My Feedback: (10)

Good example of another liberal thinking he can do what he wants where and when he wants. There are several parks in my area (No RC flying allowed). That's the law, that's the way it is, you don't make an ass of your self. Liberals have the idea that we are losing are rights when they can't do whatever they want. What this boso was lacking is a good kick in the ass to change his mindset. People like him are destroying our hobby. Yes, flying the small quad copter in a park is a public safety issue, use your head it's common sense. the quad copter is a lot more dangerous than you are acknowledging. Several people have been killed or seriously injured by heli's and as far as the Quad have not heard, but the potential is there for one of those as well. Safety is the most important consideration and can't be looked lightly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.