Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

rctruths

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rctruths

has anyone ever heard of rctruths.com-active forum about the discussions on RCU and other sites-It is almost like Gossip about Gossip!\

there maybe some truths though.

Last edited by PLANE JIM; 10-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:59 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been there.....a lot of 'the sky is falling' posts.....yet it hasn't....and yes there are some truths there but more from people thrown off other newsgroups, forums, etc.

PS Jim, you happen to be the 'subject' of at least one thread <g>
Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
has anyone ever heard of rctruths.com-active forum about the discussions on RCU and other sites-It is almost like Gossip about Gossip!\

there maybe some truths though.
There is no "S" at the end of the site's name , it is "RC TRUTH" .

There are several really good people over there , people like "Konrad" who knows more about RC model engines than anyone . I do believe it could use more model related content and to that end I plan to post a bit more there in the upcoming "build season" myself . Sure , there may be a bit of "gossip" , but since usually "where there's smoke , there's fire" , I take ALL "gossip" with a grain of salt and realize there IS likely some truth in the posts regarding the "inner workings" of some of our hobby's participants . I modified this post , backpedaled on my criticism of the "one moderator" system there , as I believe the site Admin really IS trying his best and as we all know there are usually many bumps in the road on the way to developing something different in an already established genre , that of an RC website , but being free of the financial influence of the major manufacturers who only allow glowing reviews of their products .

Long live the Truth !

Last edited by init4fun; 11-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:26 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

RCTruth,, LOL,,,, none there,, RC Hate yes to much to handle
Old 10-26-2014, 02:33 PM
PLANE JIM

That is good to know- I notice I am on the topic list and implied that I and another poster may be same person. I think I will leave it alone
Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
That is good to know- I notice I am on the topic list and implied that I and another poster may be same person. I think I will leave it alone
Now that you're a newly converted "anti Hobby King" guy they'll probably love you,, still not worth the negative energy there IMO

good luck
Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
RCTruth,, LOL,,,, none there,, RC Hate yes to much to handle
Yes there IS some hate there , and if that's what your looking for I'm sure you'll find some . But there is also some really great posts there , did you see earlwb's review of the A38 overhead cam gasser ? I'll bet he is the only guy who was brave enough to put up his $$$ on an unproven design and he ended up with a fairly decent engine for his efforts with it . It's guys like Earl and Konrad who bring more to the site than just hate posts , and I truly enjoy their posts . Craig is another guy who posts up some good stuff as well as that guy Pat , and I know everyone likes to kick him but I think Easytiger posts up some great stuff also . I read there occasionally , I don't dwell on the hate posts , and I get to see unfiltered reviews of things like the A38 . Don't fixate on the negative and you may just find some interesting reading there .

PS , BillG's build posts are something to see as well !
Old 10-26-2014, 03:05 PM
PLANE JIM

I appreciate the info.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:50 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yes there IS some hate there , and if that's what your looking for I'm sure you'll find some . But there is also some really great posts there , did you see earlwb's review of the A38 overhead cam gasser ? I'll bet he is the only guy who was brave enough to put up his $$$ on an unproven design and he ended up with a fairly decent engine for his efforts with it . It's guys like Earl and Konrad who bring more to the site than just hate posts , and I truly enjoy their posts . Craig is another guy who posts up some good stuff as well as that guy Pat , and I know everyone likes to kick him but I think Easytiger posts up some great stuff also . I read there occasionally , I don't dwell on the hate posts , and I get to see unfiltered reviews of things like the A38 . Don't fixate on the negative and you may just find some interesting reading there .

That like saying you can get good BBQ at a KKK meeting,, No thanks
Old 10-26-2014, 04:02 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
That like saying you can get good BBQ at a KKK meeting,, No thanks
I like that , reminds me of most political discussion ....

But really , I don't take the 'Truth all that seriously , I just read the good posts and skip by the rock throwing stuff cause that's not what I want read RC websites for . There are a bunch of small RC sites out there and each really does have something to offer once you know where to look .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-10-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hate when this site gets verbally abused. It has its problems like every other site, but for the most part, theres a ton of great info to be learned from some real quality RC pilots, builders, and RC enthusiasts in general. Yeah, there are Trolls too, but you just ignore those posts. I'm one of the ones that hasn't been burned by Hobby King yet, but from some of the posts on here, it may be coming. Keep up the great work RCU.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY
I really hate when this site gets verbally abused. It has its problems like every other site, but for the most part, theres a ton of great info to be learned from some real quality RC pilots, builders, and RC enthusiasts in general. Yeah, there are Trolls too, but you just ignore those posts. I'm one of the ones that hasn't been burned by Hobby King yet, but from some of the posts on here, it may be coming. Keep up the great work RCU.
Um , Barry , no one here is verbally abusing any site , and RCU isn't even the site being discussed !

As a quick recap , Plane Jim has just discovered the site called "RC Truth" and the discussion has centered around whether it's just a "hate site" or if it has anything to offer . Yes , for sure , it's a bit "rough around the edges" but the basic concept is sound ; That of an RC site beholden to NO advertiser and so any product reviews will be unfiltered and straight from the modeler themselves . As to the other BS , since it's just this side of impossible to positively identify things like shills and phony reviews , I believe nothing except reviews like Earl's A38 post , posts from guys I've seen around the forums and trust the word of .
Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 AM
scale only 4 me

maybe Barry meant to post in the other thread,,

Well, I'll tell you this,,
I agree with the concept that magazine reviews are a joke, I stopped reading those rags years ago.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you init4fun, there is a wealth of good information being presented over there and yes, some trash talk too about certain folks and I can see why those who are targeted would speak poorly of the place.
But for anyone who has not been there then I would recommend taking a look and arriving at your own conclusion as I think you would be surprised at how adult the place is.

I really appreciate Konrad and earl, Bill’s builds are terrific, Easytiger offers some great perspective.
Go ahead and take a look.

http://rctruth.com/index.php?action=recent
Old 10-27-2014, 01:34 PM
topspin

I was one of the very first members there but Admin became so hypocritical and biased that I no longer post there. I do still read from time to time and, like init4fun pointed out, there really are some very talented RC modelers there who can answer just about any question you might have.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:40 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Originally Posted by topspin
I was one of the very first members there but Admin became so hypocritical and biased that I no longer post there. I do still read from time to time and, like init4fun pointed out, there really are some very talented RC modelers there who can answer just about any question you might have.
Admin like many of us, isn't perfect but I can honestly say, he's far better to deal with than Jim Graham.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I just register but it says the admin has to approve me. Is that normal operating procedure? Is my name banned for some reason?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by lopflyers
I just register but it says the admin has to approve me. Is that normal operating procedure? Is my name banned for some reason?
It is normal, because people try to set up fake accounts. I joined a year ago, and within a day somebody else had created an account using my actual name.

To his credit, the Admin discovered it quickly and deleted it. But that was enough for me to have no interest in the site.

I have rarely looked at it since until today and it does seem there are people trying to make it about RC and not just complaining about people in other forums. I'd consider using it again if they had more genuine members but even my youtube channel has 3 times the subscribers and more daily posts.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-27-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Admin like many of us, isn't perfect but I can honestly say, he's far better to deal with than Jim Graham.
Hi Edge , I'll second that ! I do give the Truth's Admin credit for trying to establish it as more than just a hate site . I'll freely admit I found the Truth when I was unhappy with RCG and I ranted along with the best of em . Changed nothing . I came to see myself the fool for actually caring what went on at some website that meant nothing to my day to day life and so I left my RCG anger behind . So I began putting up some RC content at the Truth , I had just replaced the bearings in my Saito 270 and I had converted an RCGF 15 from a version one with it's factory defective prop hub into a version two with it's improved hub by replacing the crankshaft to accept the new hub . I was happily contributing to what I thought could have become a great little site till I became disillusioned with it and left . The idea of a truly free site where no one is banned and no one is censored is a noble effort indeed and except for a few who put up swears or dirty pictures most of the participants seemed to be using the freedom correctly . but then , folks started being told what they could and couldn't talk about , and at that point it became just like every other overmoderated site . No , folks should not have been allowed to post swears or unproven slanders , that is a given . But when a charter member was told he could no longer talk about a certain RC company that's when I knew it was time to hit the road . I wish the Truth nothing but the best as i DO believe there is a need for real unfiltered reviews of RC products from folks who have no financial interest in the review and I believe it is those reviews that could elevate it from hate site status . Don't forget , RC sites are kinda like buying shoes , you try on a few before ya find the perfect fit , and no site will be a perfect fit for everything and everybody .
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting place where all who have been wronged and banned from RCU and RCG can meet and become a support group.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Hi Edge , I'll second that ! I do give the Truth's Admin credit for trying to establish it as more than just a hate site . I'll freely admit I found the Truth when I was unhappy with RCG and I ranted along with the best of em . Changed nothing . I came to see myself the fool for actually caring what went on at some website that meant nothing to my day to day life and so I left my RCG anger behind . So I began putting up some RC content at the Truth , I had just replaced the bearings in my Saito 270 and I had converted an RCGF 15 from a version one with it's factory defective prop hub into a version two with it's improved hub by replacing the crankshaft to accept the new hub . I was happily contributing to what I thought could have become a great little site till I became disillusioned with it and left . The idea of a truly free site where no one is banned and no one is censored is a noble effort indeed and except for a few who put up swears or dirty pictures most of the participants seemed to be using the freedom correctly . but then , folks started being told what they could and couldn't talk about , and at that point it became just like every other overmoderated site . No , folks should not have been allowed to post swears or unproven slanders , that is a given . But when a charter member was told he could no longer talk about a certain RC company that's when I knew it was time to hit the road . I wish the Truth nothing but the best as i DO believe there is a need for real unfiltered reviews of RC products from folks who have no financial interest in the review and I believe it is those reviews that could elevate it from hate site status . Don't forget , RC sites are kinda like buying shoes , you try on a few before ya find the perfect fit , and no site will be a perfect fit for everything and everybody .
No one site working for everybody is quite true. However it's my observation that the one site that attracts the most people with nothing better to do than argue, bait and report has to be RCG, you wont see any of that over on Admins site but you will see people discussing those who do it and without any worry of falling fowl of a pathetic moderating system.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:40 AM
topspin

FWIW I was never banned from RC Truth, I just decided to leave one day after a good friend did the same and PMed me that I should follow suit. I also edited out all of my content at my own discretion despite Admins recent statement that I was "allowed to". I never contacted him about it and he never contacted me, I just erased everything and left. The last straw for me was when he went off on me for something that someone else had posted, that was an indication of some sort of instability and I'll leave it at that. Anyway, it's water under the bridge, I still build and fly and that episode has certainly not dampened my enthusiasm. It's too bad Admin felt he had to post some things that are simply not true only after this thread was started. Instability?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I went there and took a look. I immediately saw folks who had been banned for life from RCG or RCU or both because of their willingness to start a fight with anyone who opposed their views. I don't need that so I have no desire to return. Arguing with them is like wrestling with a pig; you get just as dirty as the pig but the pig enjoys it.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM
TheEdge
Banned

I'm guilty of not being up to speed on who's all been banned and so I wouldn't be able to immediately identify with whom they would be. I do know this, that the folks who post over there do not exhibit any behavior that would be inappropriate for any site.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:04 AM
N410DC

I think there is something to be said about the bias in reviews. Virtually every review I have read on major online sites and in print magazines have been very positive. Some of the articles to point out some disadvantages of the products, but a significant number of the reviews competently ignore the downsides of the product. No product is perfect in this industry, or any other industry. This is a very sharp double-edged sword. I think it is fair for reviewers to get free products to review. If this were not the case, the number of reviews would plummet dramatically. That said, I like Customer Reports' policy of only reviewing products that they purchase directly from retailers. A manufacturer not only can offer a product to a reviewer at no cost, they can also carefully inspect the item to make sure it's in perfect condition before they ship it.

To be fair, online forums do give us the opportunity to get some unbiased feedback from the public. There is a thread on RCG and/or RCU for many (perhaps most) new products from the major manufacturers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.