Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:06 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Good enough, enough said!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:19 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Barrcuda Hockey

In this new format. I see advertising within response boxes, is this going to be the new norm?

I have read some old post of past events ?????????? what the ?????
Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 AM
donnyman

It seems were back in business!
It sure got real quiet here.............................................I s anyone out there!.............................hello?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess we all are still very much here but maybe everyone like myself was just trying to digest the new RCU format and get comfortable with it....hopefully.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm still here.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah but BarracudaHockey, you are supposed to be 50+ years old!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We're mostly here - just waiting for the dust to settle with the new format, etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:03 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm here, but not all there. Or so I've been told.
I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Last edited by flyboy2610; 04-22-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Needed it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm here too Donny! Lovely if expensive day in La Creuse. I bought a new John Deere ride-on motor mower this morning and a Japanese two-stroke hedge-cutting machine. Then I got the motor cycle out and rode the 15 miles, (25kms) to La Chatre to have lunch and to book a table at my favourite restaurant for next Saturday night. My sister and brother-in-law are honouring me with a visit!

Just returned from the flying field where I flew the Stick and the club's trainer on the club's own fuel mix with just 11% oil. The model seemed to go alright. Then we all had a couple of beers before going home. Everybody was very exercised about the political situation. The French go to the polls tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Yeah but BarracudaHockey, you are supposed to be 50+ years old!
That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me this week.

Nov 65, so I qualify
Old 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I'm here too Donny! Lovely if expensive day in La Creuse. I bought a new John Deere ride-on motor mower this morning and a Japanese two-stroke hedge-cutting machine. Then I got the motor cycle out and rode the 15 miles, (25kms) to La Chatre to have lunch and to book a table at my favourite restaurant for next Saturday night. My sister and brother-in-law are honouring me with a visit!

Just returned from the flying field where I flew the Stick and the club's trainer on the club's own fuel mix with just 11% oil. The model seemed to go alright. Then we all had a couple of beers before going home. Everybody was very exercised about the political situation. The French go to the polls tomorrow.
From the sound of it you had a very full and exciting day and just if by chance it sounds like I envy you, yes I do as it's been raining here for the past 2.5 days almost non stop. The weatherman has predicted we should have sunshine again on Monday so I'm being very hopeful.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:54 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a wonderfull couple of days . I thought I saw a wet spot underneath the box gutter in the family room . So I thought I better get on the roof and have a look . The gutter itself is ok but the down pipe needs replacing and the timber trim on the gables is knackered . Note to oneself keep up the paint work and use permapine , I tried to save $ when I was building the house so I used what wood I had which is fine if the up keep is done . I guess 20yrs isnt too bad and that side of the house gets all the weather . To get to the downpipe outlet some of the timber and roof needs to be removed , so what turns out to be a 5min. look see is going to be a week of hell . I have a bad back and neck so getting up the ladder and what not is not good and as a result is no sleep which doesnt help . Rest day today . Some rain is forecast so I need a day of good weather to get at least the downpipe done . Now u know why I dont like working on the car . A easy job always turns into a frightmare . Cheers
Old 04-22-2017, 04:18 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Been busy myself. Had our annual HRA, which means a visit to the Vampire, then to the RV store to get items for the trailer. Did pretty good, saved a couple hundred from sale items and clearance. Needed a power jack, and got a $300 one for $124, and a hard wired surge and voltage protector which is normally $200, got for $141. Then got home and got the trailer out of the barn, and went to put the cover back on the AC and couldnt find the screws. Decided to start digging up where the water line broke, and it is still very wet there, managed to snag the power line to the barn, thought I was further over than I was. Turns out that when the new AC was installed, it was moved over a couple feet, right over where the water line exits, and discovered it too late. Line is OK, but will have to clear the muck away from it, and reseal it. Also make sure that no insulation was damaged. I may fly tomorrow, forecast looks good, not too windy, but not until after I get the cover screwed on and the roof washed.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys for what it is worth I am still hear. but I have limited my trolling as I am in the middle of a build ( scale sorta super cub), and have found other things to do, like yard work and a whole lot of hunny doooo's

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still around, but $9405 lighter. New roof on the house and garage. Just what I really wanted.

Rich.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OUCH!!!

Just think of all the kits, engines and .......OUCH!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
Still around, but $9405 lighter. New roof on the house and garage. Just what I really wanted.

Rich.
I know the feeling I was just quoted a cost over $12000 I'll be doing it myself.

It is good to know many of you have reconnected. this is our second change and it don't look bad.

I am kinda happy my wife has two guys cutting grass, it's expensive but my back appreciates it

Last edited by donnyman; 04-23-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM
donnyman

I just want to share this with all of ya! ........................................ Can you relate?
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I got the hole in the road I through money into out of the barn yesterday, and it needs a scrubbing inside and out. $500 lighter too after getting a surge protector and power tongue jack, my arm will thank me many many times this year and years to come. Also got my RC trailer out, and the AGM battery put back in, so it is ready to go. I also started digging out where the water line is, and snagged the Fn power lines to the barn. I thought I was further over to the right of them, then realized, too late of course, that the new AC unit was moved over and on top of where the water line is, the old AC was on a pad and the water line is right next to it. DOH!! Luckily I only pulled them a little, and hoping no insulation was damaged, but they are still sitting in very wet soil/clay/mud. I located the water line, and now giving the ground around it a chance to dry some so that I can climb down and dig out the rest by hand and replace a short section. Wanted to fly today, weather is very nice for it, but have too many other things on my plate.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Being charged 3440€ (£2916 or $3730US) to replace the ridge tiles on the roof. Mind you there are five runs to be replaced and as the existing ridge tiles fit into one another, it's impossible to replace one without removing the lot.

I'm also spending 5963€ (£5055 or $6467US) on having double glazing fitted to all of the windows. I can get my income tax bills reduced a bit if I have the windows installed by a registered building company.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Rue de Berry (3) (Small).JPG
Views:	26
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2211454  
Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 AM
donnyman

T. sale uk
I wish you the best, I have double glazed windows, and had to have them replaced because they fogged up. same thing in my motorhome. yours being newer are probably of better quality than mine. The upkeep of my home is more than I can afford and handle so I look forward to selling out and down sizing everywhere. we hope to start traveling around soon to find a new homesite. the property next to mine sold and brought a respectable price so...............................
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I know the feeling I was just quoted a cost over $12000 I'll be doing it myself.

It is good to know many of you have reconnected. this is our second change and it don't look bad.

I am kinda happy my wife has two guys cutting grass, it's expensive but my back appreciates it
My house was built in 1964 and still had the original roof when I bought in 1983. In 1991 a hail storm finished off the original roof the insurance company covered it and the owner of a small local roofing company replaced it with and another guy working on it for less than $2000. In 2012 I lost the roof again and isurance covered it along with 52 feet of guttering and repairing 2 broken windows for a total of about $14,000. A crew came out and replaced everything in 1 day and about the only English speaker was the forman so you know these guys weren't be paid that great. A bundle of shingles in Lowe's is $23.50 so you know they get them cheaper than that and for that matter the price has not gone up 7 times since 1991 so where is all the money going? I'm starting to think price controls might be in order, it like the whole healthcare cost problem. We have to let the free market regulate prices, government regulation and control is bad, but its this free market that is driving all of us to bankruptcy and letting the top 2 percent get even richer. It worse than the robber baron days of J.P. Morgan, Rockefeller, etc. Now they want to eliminate the EPA (currently proposed in the house) so we call all have water like Flint and eliminate The Education Department (currently proposed in the house) so we can all be dumb like the industrial revolution, a national right to work act to make unions illegal (currently proposed in the house) so they can pay us even less and increase our work week. Next they will eliminate The Sherman Anti-trust act, and anything to do with ethics (which they have already started).
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear Donny and all,

First of all, this is the best thread ever!

I'm getting back into building and flying since last flights from ~ `99.
My first reply from a few days ago mentioned the Jr Falcon, Babe Bee, and Mattel Pulse R.O.rig.

That was back in '79 in Slidell La. My instructor was a steam fitter who was missing 2-3 fingers on his right hand. He flew
single stick! I fired it up, launched, and he handed the tx to me calling left, right, etc. The best call was the landing
instructions on the first flight! He explained r/o trimming that I've forgotten...

Bob

Last edited by Flicker; 04-25-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:49 AM
karolh

Welcome back into the fraternity Bob and I do hope you will stick around as we have a great bunch of contributing guy here sharing lots of wonderful experiences.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:13 AM
al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it 50+ years of flying or 50+ years old!! no matter qualify for both!! Getting ready for Joe Nall this year and have some friends coming down to join us. One of my friend is scared of giant scale ( which we make kits ) so I have been in the garage the last several weeks getting planes ready. Put a DLE 20 on a 4 star 120. Converted a Sr Falcon to electric. Setting up a Sr Kadet on electric. have a small Seawind arf. Had to change out all the servos and get it ready to float fly on the Lake. Setting up a Top flite P-51 giant scale and finishing off an old Bob Neltiz T craft design that we do a short kit of with a DA 70 twin. What really sucks is I have an eye issue that will probably keep me from flying!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.