Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I think its pretty common with all computerized radios, how often do really need to program a new airplane into the radio? Unless your last name is Rockefeller or one in their sphere of influence and you got the money to buy a new ARF once or twice week or have a guys working for you churning out new airplanes at break neck speed you don't program the transmitter often enough to remember. Then again if you had that kind of shekels you would have a guy on the payroll to program it for you.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-31-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Inasmuch as the new fangled radios are nice, I still prefer my no frills radio. It's not perfect, at times I've flown with neutral off axis, but hey, I'm still flying. Just like in motorcycles, the worst flight is better than the best day of work.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:00 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I really liked my JR642 it worked perfect for about 10 years. Then one day it crashed my airplane and When I tried to make it work it would work perfect for some time and then just go bizerk. A got an Airtronocs to replace the Jr and I can only use it as a noncomputer radio. It refuses to program. The Yellow Bird I put the split flaps on the gear channel and try to mix the flap and ailerons. The best I have gotten is the flap function to work but only one aileron. Just super frustrating.
Donny, I have a CPAP like you describe I just hate it. The medicare will pay for it if I use it more than 4 hours a night. If I miss a night or I don't get the 4 hours they call me in for another sleep study. I go rite to sleep when I go to bed but wake up in 2 or 3 hours then lay awake waiting the get the rest of the 4 hours. Most of the time I feel so tired and dragged out but in only have to keep trying for about 5 more months and I will have in the year that medicare requires.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:58 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I really liked my JR642 it worked perfect for about 10 years. Then one day it crashed my airplane and When I tried to make it work it would work perfect for some time and then just go bizerk. A got an Airtronocs to replace the Jr and I can only use it as a noncomputer radio. It refuses to program. The Yellow Bird I put the split flaps on the gear channel and try to mix the flap and ailerons. The best I have gotten is the flap function to work but only one aileron. Just super frustrating.
Donny, I have a CPAP like you describe I just hate it. The medicare will pay for it if I use it more than 4 hours a night. If I miss a night or I don't get the 4 hours they call me in for another sleep study. I go rite to sleep when I go to bed but wake up in 2 or 3 hours then lay awake waiting the get the rest of the 4 hours. Most of the time I feel so tired and dragged out but in only have to keep trying for about 5 more months and I will have in the year that medicare requires.
I understand! I had to train myself to use the cpap, I would put it on while watching tv and I would wake up the next morning, my friends had to do the same thing, I now sleep thru the night and am quite refreshed and can't sleep too long without it. my wife likes it because with it on I don't snore.
It is rare for me to awake once asleep with the cpap unless my brain gets into the think about something mode ( worry) then I am in trouble.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:03 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Inasmuch as the new fangled radios are nice, I still prefer my no frills radio. It's not perfect, at times I've flown with neutral off axis, but hey, I'm still flying. Just like in motorcycles, the worst flight is better than the best day of work.
I concur........................BUT, some of the options of the new radios make my more complicated birds so much easier to fly, and the price was easy to take (in comparison) I use them all.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:22 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my hitec aurora 9 for its ease of programming . Although I must admit I dont ask much of it . When I use my taranis its like a nightmare but I dont programe new planes in it very often which sure doesnt help . Im going to use it just for quads now that I got the Horus ( Greek god for all things HARD ) . Cheers
Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There are features on my JR I like more than what is on the Futaba, but I trust my Futaba more than the JR so I rarely use the JR. It has a slow flap mode so that the flaps extend slowly and retract quickly. I can slow down servos on the Futaba, but they are slow both ways. There are also some mixes that are easier to do on the JR such as Flaperons and Spoilerons. If I need more than 8 physical connections though I will use the JR since the Futaba is S.bus and can only go up to 8 physical ports on the RX and the JR can go 12. I think I can also marry two RX to the JR, but haven't tried it yet.

I found it easier to use the Futaba for training so it has become my all around radio, and I think I have only 2 planes on the JR now, maybe 3.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have been on a CPAP since 2004 my brother has been on one since 2003, I couldn't sleep without it.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I use Spektrum equipment but most of the modellers at my club are Futaba aficionados. They are frequently to be found pouring over their radios and handbooks trying to work out how things are supposed to work! They're mostly glider or motor-glider enthusiasts but I don't know whether that has anything to do with anything.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does , glider guiders are retarded !
Old 06-01-2017, 03:30 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay pope I resemble that as I have flown a bunch of those silent birds but do to the lack of a good launch area have switched to gassers and they are still fun even on a bad day

And for those that need to use a CPAP after 25 years on one the only thing I have found you can not do is sleep on you stomach.
But that is just me

Cheers Bob t
Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I just saw this letter from JR Japan and JR Americas and thought I would post a link to all you guys using JR radios. I consider it partly good news.

https://giantscalenews.com/threads/n...usiness.10219/
Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I use Spektrum equipment but most of the modellers at my club are Futaba aficionados. They are frequently to be found pouring over their radios and handbooks trying to work out how things are supposed to work! They're mostly glider or motor-glider enthusiasts but I don't know whether that has anything to do with anything.
Looks like there are a ton of options for glider setups on the Futaba, and they can get pretty wild with 4 ailerons, flaps, split tails, etc. As long as I can figure out the throttle cut and dual rates, thats all I need.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 AM
donnyman

Picking a radio for oneself is more complicated now than ever before, even the prices are all over the place, new radios are pushing hard against the older brand equipt. the options available to accomplish what one wants is mind boggling with the programming available. one radio can do it all, and well. I haven't used a third of the options on my futaba 9c and now I have a radio that far exceeds the capabilities of it at almost the same price. and I don't see any limitations as to how it can be utilized. with the press of a button I can go from a fire breathing jet to a indoor super minature flying flea. From a single channel 1/2A to a multi channel 20 servo multi engine using monster, all on one receiver! The radio will remember all that you need to do all this swapping around, I read somwhere a glider with 15 plus servos was used on the same radio as the quadcopter stuff. the real killer is these radios permit in flight monitoring of almost everything even the servos? man this is almost madness but it's true.

All you have to do is become a computer programmer!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 AM
acdii

The hard part is trying to understand and interpret the manual. I know what I want it to do, and I know it can do it, but where in the manual is what I want it to do is the hard part.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:38 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was teaching a lot I hated it when a newbie came out with a computer radio . Chances are if I got it set up for them they would go home and decide they needed to find out how it worked , then bring it back to the field all screwed up and take all my time to try and get it back to where we could have a couple lessons, then go through it all again the next day . As if that wan't enough to set me off the companies keep coming out with new stuff and now we have to figure it all out . To this day I still ENJOY a good old style transmitter that just works and I don't have to worry about figuring out how to reprogram something. Saying this, I will admit to telling a couple students if they messed with the transmitter I was DONE and I did just that -- QUIT on them . I also hate to see someone come out that can't SET a plane ( mostly a trainer type ) up without using a computer . OH well that's my vent for today, ya'll have a good one . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
FlyerInOKC

I freely admit I use my computerized radio like a non-computerized radio most of the time. I use the push button trims and that's about it.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
The hard part is trying to understand and interpret the manual. I know what I want it to do, and I know it can do it, but where in the manual is what I want it to do is the hard part.
My feelings exactly. There is a fortune to be made by someone capable of writing the instructions in clear, concise English with no resource to jargon which most of us outside a charmed circle do not understand.

On a slightly different tack, we have recently acquired a new member at our club, quite a wealthy gentleman judging by the new Toyota 4WD which he drives.( Dark metallic green. Very smart!) It appears that he may have flown before but is regaining his skills with an E-Flite Apprentice guided by a Spektrum DX5 radio. After working all day on the new house last Wednesday I turned up at the flying field, which is en route between my new house and the house I am renting. Quite a crowd had assembled. I was just in time to catch the tail end of a conversation between the newcomer and the Chief Flying Instructor. The CFI suggested that the newcomer could be better off flying with the rates switched in but neither of them knew where the rate switch was, the CFI being more familiar with Futaba equipment, so they approached me. I pointed out where it was and they switched the rates in. The newcomer suggested that they should change the flight battery but the CFI said that they had enough electricity left for one brief flight just to demonstrate the difference. Precisely what happened next I do not know as I was otherwise engaged but I heard a collective groan and everyone trooped off to rescue the model. It had landed in a ditch by the side of the road, the cowling was damaged but otherwise it seemed alright. I went home, picked up the club's sole remaining trainer in serviceable condition and returned to give two training flights to two beginners without incident.

Now I always thought that if the voltage in the LiPo of a modern electric-powered model fell too low, that the motor would cut, but there would be sufficient power left in the battery for the model to glide back to the ground under control.

Those with superior knowledge of electric flight, please feel free to comment.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:20 AM
acdii

On the Apprentice it should, but once that motor starts to yo-yo due to a low voltage, it has no more than 1/4 throttle of speed and unless you are on final, you won't have enough juice to land unless you have altitude. The controller installed in them has the cutoff higher than the low point of the Lipo to protect the battery from a beginner. I know, I own one and learned to fly on it. I have put it in the ground a few times due to not hearing the motor yo-yo when the battery got low. I got smart and added a battery alert that was setup to alarm .1 volts above the planes cutoff. The controller can be reprogrammed to cutout at a lower voltage though, but I am too lazy to figure it out on a plane that hangs from the ceiling. I haven't touched either of my electrics in two years.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Electrics are something I need to learn more about, I just purchased another electric kit should have it in about another week or two. It was designed as electric and comes with the motors and mounts. Who knows maybe I'll buy a watt meter after I get it built and experiment with different props?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 AM
acdii

Electrics have their place. The Twin Otter I have is awesome on electric since the real plane is a Turbo prop. On a flyby the electric whine makes it sound like the real thing, but put electric on a Corsair, uhuh, just doesn't cut it. I am considering putting electrics on the P-61 though only so I can use scale cowls. The B-25 will have 4 stroke gas engines though, since its my first scale plans built.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:21 AM
donnyman

The changes that are occuring in the radio market is not all good. the radios are fantastic but the manuf. don't write manuals and one has to glean what they can off of the internet.

Why is it new radios have a new abbreviated word to describe a old function? I am afraid to progarm my equipt. because no matter how many times I ask I get a totally different answer or I am reffered to a set of instructions for a different radio. sure I can make an assumption as to what these people are getting at, but no one will help me to pay for repairs when I fry my radio because I didn't understand properly.

For now I will continue to search for a clearer understanding and use my old equipt to fly.

As far as electric go I am holding off because I am old school and like and depend on the sound of the engine. few elect. provide that point of reference for me. anyway who ever heard of a quiet b-25?
Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

They use abbreviations for two purposes its smaller and takes up less memory and there are fewer characters to be displayed in a very limited area of the screen.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
They use abbreviations for two purposes its smaller and takes up less memory and there are fewer characters to be displayed in a very limited area of the screen.
This is done in spite of the fact no one knows what they are talking about!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's the whole IBM mindset, they don't conform to the customer's way of thinking, you conform to the way they do things!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.