Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hound dog
I think I have been to that shop in phoenix, (My wifes hometown.)...... More fathers need to do the same for there kids while they can. kids have a way of hitting puberty and.............REMEMBER?
I have some vhs tapes of flying I need to upgrade to dvd's. glad you mentioned them. be good to post here.

AMA 74894
Good pic's It is a family thing, your A blessed man. It don't matter if it's a foamy or not when dad and son...........

Flypaper2
Now that's is what I like to see. The look on those faces, the future looks a bit brighter.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Propworn
Its not the kids guys its the parents. None of them have time to invest in their young. Its easier to get them into a sport and have someone else do all the work you just have to drive them there and watch. With modeling at some point the parent must get involved helping to build/repair and set up the model. Then they have to drive to the field wait while the youngster goes through the lessons then drive home. Later once they have their wings the parent has to pony up with a lift every time the kid wants to fly. In my experience the success stories always involve the parent and child doing this together. If the parent has no interest it usually doesn't work out no mater how enthusiastic the child is. Even had one mother try and drop her kid off with a cell phone and call her when he was ready to go. She was most upset when told we were not a babysitting service.

Years ago as a scout/cub leader around this time of year we had mothers who would drop their kids off for a meeting then think nothing of showing up an hour late to pick them up. After all they were Christmas shopping and didn't think we would mind them being a bit late. One in particular though it pretty rude we had the audacity to object to her habit of showing up late to pick her kid up and complained to district about it.

I used to fly in the park next to my house with the smallest park flyers on the calmest days. I had a hand full of the Air Hogs and when a few kids gathered around I would let them have fun with the Air Hogs and keep my rc stuff on the ground. Without fail parents would wander by and ask the typical questions about the rc stuff. How much, how hard, could my child do this. I would ask them to monitor the kids and put on a flight demo or two then would try and answer their questions. Except for the odd one every time I explained the time and effort one might expect expend with the child to be successful the refrain was always the same. I have x amount of other children I can't spend that much time on just one.

Dennis
You said more than a mouthful here! The lack of respect, parental discipline ..........I needn't repeat you said it here, This is the kind of stuff that scares me, the parents don't have it so how can they pass it on. many kids notice and are ashamed.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgRWQ9whhC4 Hope this comes up correctly, it's worth watching. I'm not a scale builder, last real scale plane I built was for a customer and he did the final touches. Came out really well but nothing like some of these. Every time I built myself a nice stand off scale plane it never seemed to last long.
Crapola, it came out as not available. It's an old AMA video from 97 and really a good one. Sorry.

Last edited by Gray Beard; 12-17-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are costing me more than you know! Sitting on an order to Balsa USA, my rough guess, $150, Just called the LHS, 3 new K&B 4012s, $150 then the parts to covert them to 4011 from K&B,another $70. After all that, down to the basement and turn out a bunch of prop washers, I don't like what you get from K&B now, I like the old style they don't sell anymore. Just cause you guys keep talking about the goodies, now I gotta build like hell all winter. But I gotta admit, about $70 each for new K&B .40's ain't bad. It's going to be new for me, instead of buying what someone else broke and fixing it, I'll be the one selling the busted stuff to someone else. I've got a box of old engines, bought them off another guy that decided he wanted to captain a fishing boat instead of flying. Junque might describe a lot of it. Some worth the time and expense, some not. Sure beats scrounging old stuff to fly with.

Rich.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
You guys are costing me more than you know! Sitting on an order to Balsa USA, my rough guess, $150, Just called the LHS, 3 new K&B 4012s, $150 then the parts to covert them to 4011 from K&B,another $70. After all that, down to the basement and turn out a bunch of prop washers, I don't like what you get from K&B now, I like the old style they don't sell anymore. Just cause you guys keep talking about the goodies, now I gotta build like hell all winter. But I gotta admit, about $70 each for new K&B .40's ain't bad. It's going to be new for me, instead of buying what someone else broke and fixing it, I'll be the one selling the busted stuff to someone else. I've got a box of old engines, bought them off another guy that decided he wanted to captain a fishing boat instead of flying. Junque might describe a lot of it. Some worth the time and expense, some not. Sure beats scrounging old stuff to fly with.

Rich.
You can still send them into Clarence Lee and get the hot rod package. Well, you could a year or so ago, I haven't kept up with him.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could not agree more 'it's the parents, not the kids' I look at it this way: My Parents spent a GREAT deal of time with my sib's and me. we all learned a very long time ago it's the TIME and not the THINGS that are important.
it's my Job to pass that along to my Son. for me that's even more important than how well he does in school. (I got fortunate there too... doggone kid does algebra in his head and gets A's...)
i really think I'd be more worried about the future, except that I DO remember that things back then were certainly not perfect (even though in our collective heads it seems so)
just recently I was thumbing through some old american aircraft modeler magazines... (remember THOSE???? )
there was a letter to the editor where a guy was complaining about how things at his field have changed...
"What's happened to craftsmanship?? when I go to the field these days, there's nothing but KIT AIRPLANES!!!! everywhere I looked there was nothing but Falcons and a Taurus here and there.. all covered with that plastic iron on junk... they all look the SAME!!! doesn't anyone use plans, silk and dope anymore????"

the more things change, the more they stay the same

I also must admit: I help him out when he gets to a brick wall on a video game time spent with my kid is time WELL spent, no matter what we do
Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Flypaper 2
All is not lost. Here are some of the up and comers flying at our indoor doo
Way to go get'um young and start them off right! My father spent most of his time working and my hobby experience was self taught but I asked questions at the LHS, etc and I think I did OK. My flying is nothing to brag about but I only have to please myself and be safe doing it!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
You can still send them into Clarence Lee and get the hot rod package. Well, you could a year or so ago, I haven't kept up with him.
My knuckles won't be white enough stock? Balsa USA Smoothie and a couple of Santich's Magnum 40, Phaeton II bipe, think the Mecoa .46 will go in that one. (I say Mecoa, but they milled the name off it, not new, used, but $25 and it's clean inside and out.) This afternoon project, turning the carb from an OS .35 down to put in a K&B .35. The K&B is a nice clean engine, hope this works. Perry to fit it is a little more than I want to pay.

Rich.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, now it is not just the kids, as the bad ones have grown up. I have to work with Undisciplined idiots every day. We may be past the tipping point I am afraid, without some major upheaval to right the ship.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:14 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Well, now it is not just the kids, as the bad ones have grown up. I have to work with Undisciplined idiots every day. We may be past the tipping point I am afraid, without some major upheaval to right the ship.
Understand what you mean, VG. I've had both good and bad supervisors, including rehired annuitants. You meet all types of people. Since retiring, I'm now with two organizations that are helping people to make a major upheaval to their lives. That is the Christian Motorcyclists Association http://cmaswr2.org/NM/BLACKWATERDRAWGOSPELRIDERS and the Salvation Army http://www.cnjonline.com/2014/11/18/...aising-season/

It's why I now prefer to play my sax.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11-19SalvationArmy.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2055916  
Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 PM
donnyman

It was said in a earlier post "the more things change the more they stay the same" I Gotta agre with that. The only thing I can think that may help is to lead by example and pray for the best.

I just came down from my shop where I found a bunch of old pictures, some of which show what I have spoke about in earlier post I wonder now when I get the pics scanned if I should go back and modify the old post or write new ones.
I got pictures of my son when he was about ten or so working on a plane. that' thirty some years ago, Man you guys is gettin old. Gotta get my scanner warmed up.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by ARUP; 01-28-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by ARUP
All you folks talkin' about VHS.... we (my parents) had Super 8 'home movie's and they weren't 'talkies'! We would watch those movies and provide our own score and dialect. We made popcorn for them. Good times!
Modern stuff. I still have the old cameras, standard 8mm, film for I think 3 minutes, then flip the film in the camera and run it back the other way, the lab would split it and splice to make one short film. All kinds of fun trying to film the bullfights in Valencia while in the Navy. But it was what we had.

Rich.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Greybeard1

Just for grins, this gal is Antoinette Ardizzone. Before you click on the link, try to figure out what her stage name is. Great sound from the late fifties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6QbYyGejSA

Rich.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 AM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Days of Ambroid & Tissue Paper.Everything Flew Many Flying Wings Built from Crashed Planes.Must have had 10 Planes Hanging from Basement Wall! Flight Streak,Shoestring Control Line Stuff! Chicken Sticks for Starting?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charlie111
The Days of Ambroid & Tissue Paper.Everything Flew Many Flying Wings Built from Crashed Planes.Must have had 10 Planes Hanging from Basement Wall! Flight Streak,Shoestring Control Line Stuff! Chicken Sticks for Starting?
The chicken sticks are still in use when I crank up mu G- 62's
Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
The chicken sticks are still in use when I crank up mu G- 62's
When firing up the Testors McCoy .35 Red Head, I used to use a chicken stick. Now I find a leather glove easier to do the flipping.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 AM
vertical grimmace

In my combat days, I loved my chicken stick. A rubber hose with a dowel glued inside of it. On the Fox, you put a drop or 2 of fuel in the exhaust port, rotate counter clockwise up against compression, install glow igniter clip, smack hard backwards with that stick, and off it went. One flip starts every time!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM
vertical grimmace

In my combat days, I loved my chicken stick. A rubber hose with a dowel glued inside of it. On the Fox, you put a drop or 2 of fuel in the exhaust port, rotate counter clockwise up against compression, install glow igniter clip, smack hard backwards with that stick, and off it went. One flip starts every time!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Greybeard1

I never used a chicken stick, got my fingers spanked a time or two then learned how to get them out of the way before the prop came around. With the K&B 40's, that's when I went to the starter, never could flip it fast enough to get them to start. But once they were running, never had a single problem with them.

Gave up winter flying, anyone that will go to a large, open field, then let the engine club their cold, alcohol wet fingers, then stand with that ice cold box in their hands, come back and say how much fun they had will lie about anything.

Rich.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-25-2021)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I gave up hand flipping when I graduated to engines larger than .049 otherwise my screen name would have to be "Stumpy"!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I gave up hand flipping when I graduated to engines larger than .049 otherwise my screen name would have to be "Stumpy"!
Or Three Finger Mike!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
... Gave up winter flying, anyone that will go to a large, open field, then let the engine club their cold, alcohol wet fingers, then stand with that ice cold box in their hands, come back and say how much fun they had will lie about anything.
Have never owned a chicken stick - went directly from bleeding fingers to electric starter (and STILL, I get cuts from my own stupidity occasionally).

Yup, I lie every chance I get - today I lied for 8 flights each, 2 planes, 48 degree (9c) ...

AND LOVED EVERY LYING MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

No, really, seriously - some of us just never get smart enough to come in from the cold. Shoot, that's half the fun of it - bragging rights (or, my wife asserts it's just my stupidity). Doesn't matter, it's fun.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Greybeard1

Temperature here today, 28F. WInds from the southwest about five to ten, but out at the field, that's going to be constant. Don't get me wrong, I love winter. I just love looking outside and giving thanks that I don't have to go out there.

Rich.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'm with you Rich!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.