Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Jose can you see? Are there hour restrictions on pilots like there is for truckers?
i don't believe there are limitations for general aviation pilots. I can't recall ever reading a limitation nor hearing of one in the many seminars I have attended. Yet, I still could be wrong. The chart posted applies to commercial operations. I'd have to check my log book but my flight time for that day was around 8 hours.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:48 AM
ETpilot

A storm passed thru in the middle of the night. My dogs awoke me at 2 AM and I just could not get back to sleep. My crazy dogs just do not like thunderstorms. When storms pass by I try to be near them so they do not panic.

Anyway a few days back I was going to test run an OS 55AX after a repair. Before I did the engine run I decided to mow my RC runway. Well I found wild hog damage. That upset the rest of my day. So that changed my workday. I changed to setting out my hog trap mode. You can see the damage to about half the width of the runway. Fortunately not a large area. They have hit me around the runway but always missed it until now. I trapped 2 hogs back in March and that had stopped the damage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	2230759  
Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 AM
ETpilot

So now I'm in fix the runway mode. I'm going to, first, try leveling with my land drag. I haven't used this drag in many years. The plywood that supported the weight has rotted away. So I'm going to use a section of telephone pole for weight. Now this required a search for the poles. I had several poles mixed in with some firewood logs I had collected. I knew I was going to have a mess as these logs were well rotted since I never processed them for firewood. So I picked my way to the poles and extracted them. It was such a mess I decided to clean the whole area up. I've created 4 burn piles and fired one up. I salvaged some of the firewood logs and set them aside. So I now have this area to clean and level. You can see the hog trap to the right of the trailer and just make out the runway. And to the left is my access to the runway. Anyway just work, work, work. RC aviation is such fun. LOL.

I'm getting the latest on Irma. It does not look good for Florida.

Views:	46
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	2230760  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:20 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
i don't believe there are limitations for general aviation pilots. I can't recall ever reading a limitation nor hearing of one in the many seminars I have attended. Yet, I still could be wrong. The chart posted applies to commercial operations. I'd have to check my log book but my flight time for that day was around 8 hours.
I must have missed something in the conversation. There may not be, just as with privately owned autos don't fall under DOT commercial licensing requirements (but I suppose there may be some gotcha's if one is operating under hire). Sometimes I'd think common sense and judgment ought to dictate, but our society has become so regulated that it doesn't take much for one to be in cahoots with the law through some technicality that has little or nothing to do with wronging our fellow man as outlined in the 10 Commandments.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
. I trapped 2 hogs back in March and that had stopped the damage.
Did they make good sausage, bacon, and ham?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow, the storm is so powerful it trips seismic sensors! This is not a storm you want to "ride" out. It will make Camille look like a sun shower.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:49 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Did they make good sausage, bacon, and ham?
i never got to eat my share. My friend, who processed the hogs, did not have a generator. A storm came thru that knocked power out in the area. This was a long term outage. The bacon was lost.

Views:	42
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2230907  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

It is possible to turn pigs into bacon without electricity. People were doing it for centuries before electricity was commonplace.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 AM
acdii

I'll bet that made PETA people mad when that happened. I know I am, I'm one of them!

Hate to see good bacon go to waste.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Crying shame! I got luck a few weeks ago local store was having their annual meat sale. I got three 40 oz (2 1/2 lbs for the math challenged) packages of Hickory smoked thick cut bacon for $4.98. And it's great bacon!

Spoke to friend about 1:00 PM Central yesterday in Jacksonville, FL. he says not a drop of water to be found in a store or a gas station with any gas. He has a son Puerto Rica who reported half the island is already out of power and the VA Hospital has the ER open and caring for patients they couldn't discharge. Irma is gonna be a record breaker I fear.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-07-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:11 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I got to see if my friend is still in homestead florida which is supposed to be in the storms path, I didn't buy a home in Florida for this reason, It just struck me mt wife has relatives in fort pierce Florida right on the east coast,

Gotta go phone calls to make.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It is possible to turn pigs into bacon without electricity. People were doing it for centuries before electricity was commonplace.

I'm sure a few people in my neighborhood can make bacon without electricity. I’m just a city boy who moved to the country. I've been learning country life ever since.

Today is a beautiful flying day. But, the runway is closed. No more hog damage. The club field is too far away. So I decided to split firewood. It didn't take long to be encircled by love bugs. It was horrible. I managed to split a few rounds then gave up on splitting. On top of that the pull starter on my splitter started failing. It would very slowly retract. Now I have a starter repair to do. At least this starter is bolted on. Easy removal. The last one I did was riveted on. I had to modify it to a bolt on. I don't know about these design engineers.

This storm has me really worried. I have family in Puerto Rico, friends and family in Miami. I have a house, family and friends in Kissimmee Florida. I have not heard from PR. News says over 1 million without power. Nervously waiting for the weekend. I was on the phone in the morning. Will be on the phone tomorrow. It will all start sometime Friday to Saturday for Florida.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 AM
acdii

I have family in Lakeland who have buttoned up to ride it out instead of escaping. Thankfully Lakeland is in the middle, and not along a coast, but still in the heart of the storm forecast, so they WILL get hit! Disney too.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM
ETpilot

Well log splitter pull starter is fixed. A one minute job. Spring tension adjustment screw needed a bit of adjustment. If anyone wants to see how to backup a log splitter solo, or other towed vehicles, that you can't see from the tow vehicle, let me know. I will post a picture how I do it.

Latest Irma report shows track moving a bit west. Now Lakeland is more in the threat area. Orlando Kissimmee appears to be right in the bullseye. Not good.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 PM
acdii

My f150 has the backup pro assist. Haven't used it, but apparently you can back up small trailers you can't see with it.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I hope that karolh is ok in Jamaica with all of these storms about.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by acdii
My f150 has the backup pro assist. Haven't used it, but apparently you can back up small trailers you can't see with it.
Telemaster, these storms are tracking North of PuertoRico, Dominican Republic and Cuba. No threat to Jamaica.

acdii, I did not know what backup pro assist was so I looked it up. Saw a video. That is really cool. I did not know such a feature existed. You need to practice with it. My old 96 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel has no technology. It has over 350,000 miles and really amazing it is still on the original clutch. Still pulling strong. I looked at a new replacement but the price made my old truck look much better. It is still a good running truck, easy to work on and reliable. My backup assist is old technology, analog and a Mickey Mouse thing. Lol. No comparison.

The track of this storm is now more Westerly, between Orlando and Lakeland. No telling where this storm will hit and which way it will track. I spent last night texting with contacts in Florida. I'll be by the TV and my phone until this is over. Praying for the best.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:32 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I have contacted most of the people I know in Florida and all are going to ride it out because the roads are blocked by evacuees and gasoline is all but gone. the two roads passing thru Florida are not the best and many people are going to have to stay were they are. Again I am glad I didn't buy there. though it is a beautiful place.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

The rumor mill has already started up again. I hear Trump has slashed the price on his little 11 bedroom fixer upper on ST. Martin hoping for a quick cash sale. To top it off his Ethics Lawyer's wife got arrested for have sex in a car with an inmate outside a detention center. I also heard on the other hand Richard Branson has already paid a contractor to do the repairs with the pocket money he throws in old cigar boxes before he goes to bed each night.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM
acdii

:facepalm:

Oh, Wait, it IS Facepalm Friday!! Bring em!

My uncle and cousins live in Lakeland, I sure hope the eyewall is no where near there.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Regarding the "rumor mill", overall, I stopped paying attention to CNN, NBC, CBS, NPR, BBC, WaPo, NYT, Yahoo, Google, ISP news, etc. and only about a half of Fox. They all spout the same garbage. This is nothing new, they've all been doing it since World War I. It is a quaint reminder of Don Henley's 1985 song:

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 AM
acdii

But at least Russia is no longer in the news.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

I saw a couple of stories on Don Jr.testimony making senior Republicans nervous.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM
bobtiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Remeniss with me,

Hi Yall, I am out here in WV where there are very few models or modelers. I have been building and crashing model planes since I was 8 years old. I am a young 79 now and still build and crash my planes.
The first model I really remember building is a Stitts Junior that I entered in the Plymouth sponsored meet here and I even got a first with it.
I have a love for model engines and have designed and built several of my own that ran well. The Sky Angel was a construction project published in Engine Collectors Journal. It is a .36 glo engine and a screamer.
Recently I have been working with Dollar Store foam board and find it a reasonable material, easy to work with and CHEAP the latter being necessary at this time. I am using electric power because I don/t
want to hurt any of my IC engines. New to electric flight and use a Fly Sky 6 channel which I like very much. The Fly Sky is made by a major manufacturer who makes systems for many companies.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good on ya B. Tiger . Do I detect a tinge of pride in the crashing side of things . I like it ! People who cry out "its a brown out " or some such baloney that everyone knows is bull anyway . If you bugger up admit and then laughing and ribbing can begin . Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.