Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I think he has been tied up so I may be on his to do list.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I've had an interesting afternoon. The French government seems to be so scared of irresponsible drone use that it's forcing us, even those of us whose clubs are affiliated to the Fedration Francaise d'AeroModelisme, (FFAM,) the national body, to take an online safety exam and then to register every model aeroplane we fly which is heavier than 800 grammes or about 1lb 12 ozs. Apparently every model will be allocated a number which must somehow be displayed on the model. Scale Spitfire anyone?

I tried to register but as 1st November is a public holiday, All Souls Day,(?) and as I'd forgotten my password I couldn't get on to my personal section of their website! I asked for a new password but they're all on holiday so I didn't get one and the cognoscenti believe that I'm unlikely to get one until Monday of next week at the earliest.

It's enough to drive a man to drink or at least to opening a Petit Chablis an hour before I should do!

I'll keep you informed.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

ETpilot
It was rather quiet in my neck of the woods, we got some rain but nothing heavy, we heard some thunder and wind I'm glad that's all.

Telemaster
The article I have covers quite a bit of information with drawings but is to large to transmit and I don't know how to decrease it's size I will try to figure it out.

that bird looks good!
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I've had an interesting afternoon. The French government seems to be so scared of irresponsible drone use that it's forcing us, even those of us whose clubs are affiliated to the Fedration Francaise d'AeroModelisme, (FFAM,) the national body, to take an online safety exam and then to register every model aeroplane we fly which is heavier than 800 grammes or about 1lb 12 ozs. Apparently every model will be allocated a number which must somehow be displayed on the model. Scale Spitfire anyone?

I tried to register but as 1st November is a public holiday, All Souls Day,(?) and as I'd forgotten my password I couldn't get on to my personal section of their website! I asked for a new password but they're all on holiday so I didn't get one and the cognoscenti believe that I'm unlikely to get one until Monday of next week at the earliest.

It's enough to drive a man to drink or at least to opening a Petit Chablis an hour before I should do!

I'll keep you informed.
OH NO they got you guys too! The world is going nuts!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nothing scares a spineless politician than the thought they might get held responsible for something.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll keep you informed.
Ignorance spreads like a disease! If those morons would do the right thing and classify drones properly, then those of us who follow rules such as the AMA and your FFAM, then we would not be bothered by this ridiculousness. They should exempt fixed wing RC planes from this, and specify exactly the type of flying machines that is the cause, Multi-rotor craft! For years guys have been flying helicopters without any issues, it wasn't until the multirotors started coming out with auto guidance, self flying, and video cameras that there became issues. Now any doofus with money can go out and cause havoc, and guess what, you can pretty much guarantee that any issues caused will be by someone who is NOT registered!!!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Ignorance spreads like a disease! If those morons would do the right thing and classify drones properly, then those of us who follow rules such as the AMA and your FFAM, then we would not be bothered by this ridiculousness. They should exempt fixed wing RC planes from this, and specify exactly the type of flying machines that is the cause, Multi-rotor craft! For years guys have been flying helicopters without any issues, it wasn't until the multirotors started coming out with auto guidance, self flying, and video cameras that there became issues. Now any doofus with money can go out and cause havoc, and guess what, you can pretty much guarantee that any issues caused will be by someone who is NOT registered!!!
AMEN to that!
Old 11-03-2018, 04:03 AM
donnyman

I have said this before.................................. A number on and object Is for what? TAXES/identification?
Everyone involved with the 911 incident had a number of some sort including the inanimate objects involved. what did any of the numbers do to prevent a horrible incident? even the terrorist had numbers given by our government.

Numbers placed on objects is for CONTROL purposes...... In time the anti Christ will want a number ON YOU along with the ones you already have. And you currently have many!

This number game is only to make some idiot look like he is doing his job. and many are impressed by it. maybe we should use our numbers to shut him down.

Last edited by donnyman; 11-03-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

As an example of the modern situation I offer you the flight line at my club yesterday afternoon. It was a calm sunny day and I decided to take just the one model, my eight-foot Senior Telemaster (STM) powered by a Thunder Tiger four-stroke. There were nine pilots there; six of us of retirement age; a retired Legionaire in his thirties; a lad in his twenties, Jean-Elie, who is a competent pilot and the son of one of the retirees but whom we had not seen for nearly a year; and a child aged nine. My STM with its eight-foot wingspan was by far the biggest model there and the nine-year-old started asking me questions about it. Jean-Elie soon joined him. Both were surprised and impressed when I told them that I had built it myself. I had to explain what Solartex was.

Of the nine models on the flight-line all were ARTFs except my Senior Telemaster: two four-channel trainers were powered by OS 46s, the other six were electric powered. Of those one was a high-performance powered glider, the others foamie sports models. Of the nine pilots there, only three of us had the skill to be able to build a traditional model.

Does this matter? No! When I'm dead or too wracked by the illnesses of old age to be able to fly I shall be beyond caring. Our club makes its own glow fuel so I'll be alright there and have you seen how cheaply you can buy an OS 61SF on eBay recently?
Old 11-04-2018, 08:02 AM
acdii

Our Future

Old 11-04-2018, 09:41 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is true that glow engines are in decline which is real sad for me. I noticed when one of the guys at the field landed his electric powered airplane that the wheels squeeled like hell! I told him that you wouldn't be able to hear that with a glow engine powered airplane. I don't mess with electric powered airplanes or cars anymore. Back in the late 1980's I built several electric powered cars and I couldn't stand them at all. The speed control where never relialable and it and the motors weren't that great either. I was told when I joined the local club here that I should get rid of my engines and go electric ha I said no way!
thank you
Michael Johnston
Old 11-04-2018, 11:23 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The day will come Mike!!!!. I said I wouldn't go electric either but at 83 yrs they sure do make life EASY . LOL Red
Old 11-04-2018, 01:54 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

The improvements in electric motor technology do make certain planes more practical, for example Carl Goldberg's Half-A Jr. Skylark. With two Tee Dee .010's or .020's or Pee Wee .020's you had may be a minute and half total engine run, on the recommended props of the day. It was a challenge to get both running reliably in a very short moment. With electric, you hit the throttle stick and off she goes with both motor turning the same time. Also, electric ducted fans have made small RC flight practical.

Yes, there is still a place for glow, but with the smaller aircraft electric does have its place. It's all a part of improvements over time.

80 years ago, if you could afford it, would put an ignition .60 in a free flight 2 meter wingspan cabin aircraft. So, times have changed.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I thought you guys were kind of quiet. I haven't been getting Email alerts don't know why.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:41 PM
acdii

Build a Guillows right and they are prime candidates for electric power and now with the super micro servos, can be fully setup like the big ones with flaps and everything. But when it comes to big warbirds, nothing beats a good 4 stroke motor or two purring away.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I have been thinking about for the last few months.

Wind project would block private runway, end man?s lifelong hobby - Parsons Sun: News
Old 11-05-2018, 04:35 AM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because a person or group owns a piece of property in todays world this means nothing. You have the privilege of paying taxes and maintaining your land but you may not be able to use it to pursue your hobby or any other activity that you purchased it for. Unfortunately in todays world too often Sadly the guy with the most money wins. Mr/Ms money slips some grease coin to Mr/Ms representative and your dreams get squashed. I hope this doesn't occur in this case.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 AM
donnyman

With the increases in populations changes are inevitable, unfortunately for some the changes are of a negative nature, the blocking of this mans runway is a prime example, noise is killing two stroke engine use in spite of mufflers, the wind turbines are needed to produce power to charge the batteries of the electrics that can't fly due to the wind turbines being in the way, all driven by the quest for money. You and I have the power to make changes but we don't use it. our leaders would pay a lot more attention to our wants if we showed them we will vote them out. I don't have the answers but I do vote, not for any political party but for the person I feel is best for all. because if it hurts you I take a hit too.

As long as we let the politicians divide us what Mad Man Marko-RCU said will continue to ring true.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm with you Donny! The wife is going into the hospital tomorrow so we already filled out our absentee ballots and sent them in. I didn't vote for a single incumbent except for retaining a few judges that have all too absent common sense. It amazes me how a politician can run supporting something they had already bragged about voting against. And then they have the gall to think we'll believe them!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-05-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:50 AM
GallopingGhostler

Wind power must be backed up by fossil power, very few areas have wind 24/7 throughout the year. Utility grade power requires minimum of 15+ mph winds. Not long ago, spoke with a power company rep, was a hot summer where demand was high but due to insufficient wind did not benefit from the White Deer wind turbine farm just outside Amarillo. There's more than science behind power generation.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 AM
acdii

That and in the northern climes, when there is insufficient wind, then utility power is required to run the heaters in the transmissions to prevent them from gelling up. Wave generators would be much more efficient since the sea is always in motion.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Don't you guys have the opportunity to vote tomorrow?
Old 11-05-2018, 11:56 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by acdii
Wave generators would be much more efficient since the sea is always in motion.
Due to dissolved minerals and in the case of sea water also salt, which are conductors for electricity. High current electrical power generation over water and in water does provide an interesting challenge and potential hazards of itself. Also, although the ocean wave actions in various areas may prove to be suitable, they are not immune to storm activity, tidal surges and tidal waves, which may limit their usefulness.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
FlyerInOKC

Yes we do. Midterm elections for Senators and House of Representatives. There are also a lot of state and local elections too.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM
GallopingGhostler

Yes, unless one used the early voting option. Here in NM, that expired 11/3/2018.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.