Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Telemaster

I use silkspan over balsa on my models with great success ...two coats of clear lightly sanded then the silkspan applied damp with water to reduce wrinkling, apply with thinned clear dope or thinner, lightly sand to remove any knapp, two more coats of un thinned clear each sanded then color dope if desired to your taste. the silkspan eliminates the need for filler coats and hides wood grain. nitrate dope can be used for all this but do not put nitrate dope on top of any other type dope it will wrinkle, used for base coats it's fine.

BY the way, before purchasing any more plans talk to me first.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I certainly will Donny but I have nine unstarted kits, nine incomplete airframes of "projects" and I don't know how many plans, enough to fill a deep storage box anyway, but at seventy-one I doubt if I'll long enough to need any more plans!
Old 07-28-2019, 05:56 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I certainly will Donny but I have nine unstarted kits, nine incomplete airframes of "projects" and I don't know how many plans, enough to fill a deep storage box anyway, but at seventy-one I doubt if I'll long enough to need any more plans!
I know the feeling!
this does not show the folded or digital drawings I am afraid it's an addiction. there's kits in this pic also.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

It's not an addiction, it's an obsession! I just spent $2500 to get a laser so I can cut parts for kits that no longer exist! Got my first one cut yesterday, the ribs for the SIG Liberty Sport. Started assembling the wing yesterday, so far so good, parts line up correctly.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:06 AM
donnyman

OK acdii when are you going to show us what you have done??????........................................ ..That means pictures!
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM
donnyman

I put my game camera on a pole by my driveway and was surprised to see a lot of coyote activity.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I put my game camera on a pole by my driveway and was surprised to see a lot of coyote activity.
Their normal food sources must be getting scarce so they are going into areas they would normally shy away from.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:00 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by donnyman
OK acdii when are you going to show us what you have done??????........................................ ..That means pictures!
Well if Facebook wasn't corrupting photos when trying to load them here, there would be plenty. Instead I have to email them to me, save them locally in order to upload them. I'm currently in Kentucky on a family vacation, and the internet is spotty, so will need to wait until I get home instead. I have all the ribs cut out for the Liberty Sport, and started building the lower wing.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Well if Facebook wasn't corrupting photos when trying to load them here, there would be plenty. Instead I have to email them to me, save them locally in order to upload them. I'm currently in Kentucky on a family vacation, and the internet is spotty, so will need to wait until I get home instead. I have all the ribs cut out for the Liberty Sport, and started building the lower wing.
OK! We will just have to wait, but I am interested.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Ercoupe N99879

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just decided to join this Old Timers Group.
I'm 68 years young!
HLG's by the dozens, some flew good, some not so good, some so good, they flew away OOS !
First real Free Flight was a 1/2 A Berkeleys Ramrod 250, followed up by several 1/2 A Sal Taibi Stardusters.

I like to build kits or scratch build vintage type airplanes, from the 1930's , 40's 50's and 60's.
I am an EAA member, and VAA member and own and fly a full scale 1946 Ercoupe 415 CD
Right now I am looking everywhere with no luck for a set of plans for a Boeing Model 40 Mailplane.
Would like to build a 1/6 to 1/4 scale model 40 mailplane.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Morning Ercoupe

Welcome aboard.

There are a few small drawings here which might help you. There's nothing on the Outerzone, maybe there's something on AeroFred.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Plan...w=1366&bih=632

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-08-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

I couldn't find anything on AeroFred either. The model 40 is an interesting airplane but I don't recall seeing any scale models in the size you are looking for.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:57 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Mr Ercoupe, that Ercoupe 415C brings back memories. It was my first privately owned airplane. It had the rudder pedal conversion kit installed. I bought it and accepted it with no flight check out. It came with no flight manual. So I had to fly it and figure out the required airspeeds. After I got most airspeeds written down it was time for the stall test. Flying over the Florida Everglades, with a friend, on a clear day I took it up to 5000 feet for a stall test. Well it stalled and the left wing went down like a load of bricks and into a spin we went. What a surprise. Spins were not required during training but I did read up on them. So as the Everglades fast approached in the windshield, I applied the required controls and got out of the spin. Heart was pumping good. So I told my buddy, who was in shock, this thing can’t stall like this all the time. Let’s do another. Well the second stall was just like the first one. Into a spin we went. I always flew this plane with adequate airspeed. The Ercoupe without the rudder pedals did not spin. Or so I have read.

The Boeing Model 40 Mailplane is an interesting model. I, too, couldn’t find any plans online. However there is this site, Boeing 40 Mail Plane Aircraft that has info, pictures, 3 views and probably enough for a scratch built. Definitely a good challenge. I like scratch built and challenges. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:20 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

(

I finally got a chance to use my little foam cutter I made. A lady wanted some foam cut. I told her I’d take the foam home and do the cutting. I cut 3 pieces. Here is one piece. She wanted the large square piece. All the smaller pieces were cut off. The cutter did a nice job of cutting; 5volts 20 amp setting. Cut smooth and easy and I didn’t have to adjust the heat.

I think the 98* temperature here in Texas helped too. LOL. It has been hot and the next few days even hotter. Triple digit hot.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:18 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Ercoupe N99879
Just decided to join this Old Timers Group.
I'm 68 years young!
HLG's by the dozens, some flew good, some not so good, some so good, they flew away OOS !
First real Free Flight was a 1/2 A Berkeleys Ramrod 250, followed up by several 1/2 A Sal Taibi Stardusters.

I like to build kits or scratch build vintage type airplanes, from the 1930's , 40's 50's and 60's.
I am an EAA member, and VAA member and own and fly a full scale 1946 Ercoupe 415 CD
Right now I am looking everywhere with no luck for a set of plans for a Boeing Model 40 Mailplane.
Would like to build a 1/6 to 1/4 scale model 40 mailplane.
Welcome aboard!

my free flight days were very short and unsuccessful mostly because of the fear of loss, I have a scratched up copy of my favored f/f the Fubar 36" I remember the ramrod kit.

looking at the info about the mail plane from our members it appears to me it would make a very nice scratch up R/C bird especially in the size you mentioned. making a set of drawings seems reasonably easy, It would surely be majestic in the air. again welcome and if you decide to build a copy please keep us informed.

memories of the 1950,s with the original spitzy .045
Old 08-19-2019, 03:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I intended to put a picture of my Baron in inter-war RAF colours below. It only remains for me to tidy up the cowling and paint it in matching Cub Yellow and I'll be ready for La Coupe on 7th September. It is powered by an OS 48 FS Surpass because I damaged the cylinder head of an OS 52 FS Surpass in a test flight. While I've lost a little power but the engine is extremely reliable and economical. I've bought a secondhand OS 52 FS Surpass for £50 Sterling, ( $60.56 US or 54.55€) but I think I should stay with the 48 as it performs so reliably.

My weight-saving exersizes seem to have worked as Bertie, my British Baron, is 11 ozs or 300 grammes lighter than Boris the Russian version. That said Boris has three standard servos and a Magnum 52 up front, while Bertie uses three much smaller servos.

Incidentally we were going to take a team of seven down to La Coupe but one of the team has had to scratch because his little boy found one of his lighters and set fire to the bedroom. If his Baron had not been destroyed by fire, les pompiers killed it by squirting water all over it! Pity as he'd made a nice job of his model.

Let that be a warning to the smokers in our ranks! Name:  wink.gif
Views: 381
Size:  1.0 KB

Unfortunately the cybernetics will not allow me to upload pictures today.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sorry to hear about the fire. Small children and lighters just don't mix!
Old 08-19-2019, 05:38 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Incidentally we were going to take a team of seven down to La Coupe but one of the team has had to scratch because his little boy found one of his lighters and set fire to the bedroom.
Remind your friend that grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children, no matter how tempting it may be at times! I have two grown children, and there were days..........
Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

On 11th August there was an Inter Clubs or Fly-In at the Gueret Club's field. It has been a particularly dry summer but that Sunday morning it poured with rain all morning. Fortunately the Gueret Club has an open structure in the wood with benches, long tables and a corrugated metal roof so we were able to eat our four course French lunch in the dry listening to the rain drumming on the roof. It stopped at about 2pm and we were able to get some flying in.

Gueret Inter Clubs 11th August 2019

Gueret Inter Clubs 11th August 2019. Miss Blue Eyes sits halfway along the table in her purple wind cheater.

I wanted to upload a picture of a six metre wingspan glider which flew beautifully at the event but the cybernetics won't let me. I'll try reducing the size of the picture and showing it on another post.

On 18th August we held our Fly-In at our field. Over thirty people turned up including people from the local community. One couple gatecrashed the party but they paid us 50€ (£45.72 Sterling or $55.40 US) for two meals and helped us to wash up and put things away! The weather was dry but very windy. We were planning to have a practice session for La Coupe Des Barons but after the club vice-president had damaged his model in attempting to fly the limbo, and the club president had demonstrated the art of flying a model backwards, us lesser lights decided that it wasn't worth risking our three-channel Barons in the wind. At about 4pm we had a rain shower after which we had a period of calm weather and I got a flight in with my Baron.

The guys in the pale blue polo shirts are members of my club, Berry Marche Modelisme or B2M. The blokes in the royal blue shirts are from Gueret and the two in the white shirts and caps drove all the way from Confolons to participate in the event.

Four course French lunch. Berry Marche Modelisme 18th August 2019.

There were several crashes including a most unusual scale Henri Mignet HM8 which was badly damaged on landing by the wind. I thought I'd taken a picture of it but can't find it anywhere. Here's what the real ones looked like: https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...eD2q_v_BoLbNM:

Despite the crashes it was a successful day.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-19-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

HM8. Found it!

Henri Mignet Scale Model. B2M Inter Clubs 18th August 2019. This model was badly damaged in a landing crash in strong winds.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

These are some of the Barons we will be taking to the competition.

1. The first one is the club president's venerable model powered by an OS 30. Note the brown paper repair!

2. The second one is Francois' immaculate electric powered model. Francois is a retired ship's engineer and his standard of construction is always first class.

3. The same may be said for Ludovic's grey and red version powered by an OS 25. Ludo works as a panel beater paint sprayer for a Volkswagen agency.

4. The fourth model is Gerard's electric powered model finished in Belgian colours. I built it for him.

5. The fifth one in the RAF colours belongs to Your Humble Servant, powered by an OS 48 FS Surpass. My Russian version is on stand-by in the event of my damaging the other one just prior to the competition.

6. The yellow one in the German markings, OS 35 up, was destroyed in the fire referred to above.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of Jean-Luc's Baron but I will try to to arrange for a group photograph of us to be taken at the competition.

Sorry about the different sized pictures, I'm useless with computers.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

The more I see the more I can't help but think the purpose of the club is the food and drink. The flying is just an excuse to get together!
Old 08-20-2019, 05:40 AM
acdii

I think you are on to something. Maybe I should open a restaurant with a flying field in the back.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

You could use the restaurant to support your R/C addiction and field maintenance. You may get some push back from the AMA on the bar though. I guess you could have one of those smart phone breathalyzers tied to the lock on the gate to the field.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
You could use the restaurant to support your R/C addiction and field maintenance. You may get some push back from the AMA on the bar though. I guess you could have one of those smart phone breathalyzers tied to the lock on the gate to the field.
Yes you could run some stock on your land and be practically self sufficient!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.