Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:03 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a little bit more done early this morning. I need to order 2 covering irons. I tend to use 3 different temperatures. I’ve been constantly changing the setting on my lonely iron. Two more irons will help. Yes, acdii, definitely a challenge. My fuselage is similar. It is 66 inches long. So far the largest airplane I have built. The small covering pieces let’s me practice before the large covering pieces. Definitely a challenge. I’ve always been a fabric and paint builder. Iron on is new to me.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:12 AM
ETpilot

You all have to see this. My simple root problem turned into a difficult many roots problem. One has about a 4-5 diameter. I tried pulling a small root. The chain just pulled the root in two. This is going to be a dig out and cut project. I’m not sure how many more roots are there. This tree will be cut down this fall.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:40 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Have a similar issue, Maple tree behind the house is encroaching on the septic tank and has entered the pipes. There are even roots in the drainage pipes under my basement floor.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:34 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by acdii
Have a similar issue, Maple tree behind the house is encroaching on the septic tank and has entered the pipes. There are even roots in the drainage pipes under my basement floor.
You should address that problem. Roots have a way of taking over. Doing this job I am finding roots, different sizes, traveling all over the place. Here is one of two that I managed to pull out. They ran along the foundation of the house. I still need to get out that big root. It turned into a big job.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:33 AM
acdii

It is on my list for next spring when I have the money for an arborist to come out and remove the tree along with cut down some willows that are falling apart. I cut the smaller ones myself, but this one is too large and right next to the house or I would have felled it last year.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:53 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

OH BOY! You guys have me worried, I got a tree very close to my septic tank and I bet I am in a similar situation especially with this dry spell, I dread the thought but the reality is I better check before problems arise Aww s...

I just checked there is no evidence on the surface but I will take no chances I will try to get the gardener to do some digging to check below the surface.

Last edited by donnyman; 08-30-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:55 PM
acdii

Get some of that root rid stuff to pour in your toilet, it helps eat through any roots that make their way into the drain pipes.

I had an almost expensive situation this past year with my field. The ground was saturated over where the field is. I have the type that uses a plastic shell with a pipe centered at the inside top of it, with a 8-10" air gap before the stone bed. Water was sitting on the top of it. We had a lot of rain earlier this year so it was mainly attributed to that, but to be on the saf side I did a bacteria shock treatment. I flooded the system with septic bacteria, let it get well acquainted in the tank, then ran a second dump of it and ran a lot of water to get it into the field. The ground has dried up which is a good sign and we have not had any indications of a backup in the tank, so fingers crossed all is well in the field since it is only about 10 years old.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM
ETpilot

I use Root Killer, periodically, which I get at Ace Hardware. Seems to help as my drain field runs between some trees. My only septic problem was on the shop system when I drove my truck over and cracked the fiberglass cover. I had to replace the 2 tank covers with concrete covers.

Here it the root of my problem. Amazing all these roots were either under the slab or running under the slab. All digging done. Now I have level and reposition the slab. It was a tough job and my trusty tractor invaluable. I may cut those thick pieces and do a revenge burn in my wood stove. Lol.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:38 AM
ETpilot

Well, fuselage DONE!!! Just do the ailerons and a little wing trim and covering finished. Next major project is see if I can pull a clear canopy. Should be interesting.

Only tip I can offer is don’t try covering on a large round table. LOL.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

No sense of adventure!
Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default plugs for vacuum forming

Originally Posted by ETpilot

Donny, good you were never audited. My audits were when the IRS was super customer non-friendly. They were very intimidating in their approach. I played their game and turned it on them in one audit. Following my TCMP they audited me each year for the next 3 years. Just portions of the return. Each turned out no change. After 3 years they left me alone and moved on.

Regarding the Bede 5 is it prop drive or Jet. The prop drive on this airplane is something important to review. If you plan on buying and building you need to look at the rules for certifying homebuilts. Buying a half built airplane may present some certifying problems that need to be addressed. I once considered a Vans RV 10. Too much time, too much work, too much money, nixed the temptation. I now have my nice T210L to sell. I followed the aviation dream. Never made the airlines but went thru my licenses and ratings to instructor. I got my A&P license so I do my own maintenance plus worked for others at the local airport. I’m slowly weaning myself from full scale aviation. Hard to do.

It has been a busy weekend. I had a big burn pile I needed to be rid of before they establish a burn ban. I had to rebuild my homemade utility water hose reel. Got it done, got the burn going. On to other projects.

I’ve been trying to finish this model. Something always gets in the way. Just cover the fuselage, ailerons and add some trim. I moved it from the workshop to a corner of a bedroom. It is in the way. Hope this helps in getting it finished.

to those who pull (vacuum form) their own parts - what do you or how do you make your plugs??
Old 09-03-2019, 06:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

That canopy doesn't look very complicated I'll bet you could make one from a two litter bottle and a heat gun.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 PM
ETpilot

That canopy is around 22” long. I don’t think the bottle trick will work. I’m making a heater box and vacuum former for it. Totally new to me so will see how it turns out.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:54 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by gmeyers
to those who pull (vacuum form) their own parts - what do you or how do you make your plugs??
Do a search and you will get lots of info on doing plugs. Most recommend wood. The plug has to be pristine and made of hard material for a good pull. I’m using foam, fiberglass and putty. I’ve done some preliminary testing and am pleased with results. If it turns out good I’ll post how I did it. All new to me so no idea how it will turn out.

Last edited by ETpilot; 09-03-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:56 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

That canopy is around 22” long. I don’t think the bottle trick will work. I’m making a heater box and vacuum former for it. Totally new to me so will see how it turns out.
22" canopy?????? how big is that bird?
Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

here is a link to a guy here in Wichita falls tx that makes canopies:Lazer Works - Engraving & Design. He made one for contender kit that I got from him last year.
Michael Johnston
Old 09-04-2019, 01:58 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by donnyman
22" canopy?????? how big is that bird?

Fuselage is 66 inches. The plan called for a 57 inch fuselage and canopy, on plan, measured 21 inch. I just stretched the WS and fuselage for this build. I may be able to make the 22 inch canopy. I’ve been studying it. It’s a good challenge. I have the material to make the heater box and vacuum former. Use a shop vac or combination shop vac and vacuum tank; which may be best. I have the design in my head. Just have to make it and see how it works. I’ve already tested the process on a smaller scale. If I don’t succeed I’ll have to buy. I’m just a DIY type. Learn a bit in the process.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:09 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
here is a link to a guy here in Wichita falls tx that makes canopies:Lazer Works - Engraving & Design. He made one for contender kit that I got from him last year.
Michael Johnston

Thanks, I’ll keep the info in case I may need it. That is Plan B. Ah, the Contender. That is another I’ve had in mind to scratch build. Just too many models in my “would like too build queue”. Next one will be a small FOAM job. OH NO, the 4 letter word. LOL.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Driving down to Macon today with Miss Blue Eyes. Yes they named the city in Georgia after it! It's about half way between where I live and where La Coupe Des Barons takes place. It's famous for it's white wines and a little further south is the Beaujolais Valley, famous for its red wines so I'll be buying some of that too!

If it's not to fanciful or disrespectful I feel like those Hawker Hurricane pilots must have felt, who'd survived the Battle of France and returned to England for what turned out to be the Battle of Britain. My club is entering a team of novices in the competition but I've already been there and done it. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the club's tortoises do better than the hares.

I'll let you know we get on. Photos to follow etc.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2019, 04:51 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Fuselage is 66 inches. The plan called for a 57 inch fuselage and canopy, on plan, measured 21 inch. I just stretched the WS and fuselage for this build. I may be able to make the 22 inch canopy. I’ve been studying it. It’s a good challenge. I have the material to make the heater box and vacuum former. Use a shop vac or combination shop vac and vacuum tank; which may be best. I have the design in my head. Just have to make it and see how it works. I’ve already tested the process on a smaller scale. If I don’t succeed I’ll have to buy. I’m just a DIY type. Learn a bit in the process.
Hi -- I used the heating element wire from an electric clothes dryer and I also used a vacuum cleaner motor for the pull down. Simply sticking a hose through a hole in a box won't give you enough pull. The hose accounts for considerable volume for your vacuum cleaner to pull so I used a larger box with the vacuum motor directly attached. I got my parts from ebay.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:48 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by gmeyers
Hi -- I used the heating element wire from an electric clothes dryer and I also used a vacuum cleaner motor for the pull down. Simply sticking a hose through a hole in a box won't give you enough pull. The hose accounts for considerable volume for your vacuum cleaner to pull so I used a larger box with the vacuum motor directly attached. I got my parts from ebay.

I've been doing lots of research and reading on vacuum formers. Even saw your setup with vac motor in a box. I’m thinking of going with top heater and bottom former. Just slide from top to bottom. I made a small test former using the single hole platen system. Just testing the water. Worked good with shop vac. But more testing needed. Single hole platen or multi hole platen. Top heater, bottom heater, fold over system. Best system I saw was a vacuum tank setup. Yes, lots of thinking going on. I’ll start on the vacuum former once I finish this airplane. May be a slow process with all things going on here.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

La Coupe Des Barons took place on Saturday 7th September. My club, Berry Marche Modelisme or B2M for short entered a team of six pilots. All of the models except for Jean-Luc's are shown in Post 7121. In La Coupe, pilots are divided into groups of ten which are numbered 1-8. Therefore, the maximum number of pilots the event can cater for is eighty. On the day 77 pilots turned up. Pilots are allocated a group and fly from marked positions on a fence marked 1-10. For example Francois, at 79 our oldest member, flew in Group 2, Position 4 while Jean-Luc and I flew in Group 8 from Positions 5 and 3 respectively. Jean-Luc had crashed his newly-built model in practice and resorted to his old model for the event. Roger Aubard, the club's president and best pilot opted to act as guide and helper to all of the other pilots, talking them through their manouvres, except for me!

Miss Blue Eyes,aka Trish and I decided to take two days to drive down the 472kms (293 miles) to the event staying the first night in Macon. I bought some white wine there and some red Beaujolais a little further south at Chenas. We reached the town of Chambery, population 62,000, only 50 kms (30 miles) from the event at about 5pm on the Friday afternoon but there were accidents allover the place and traffic was stationary for nearly two hours but we finally reached the hotel I had booked.

Next morning we arrived only just in time to register but soon the competition was under way. We had no members flying in the first group so we watched the others flying the "Caisse Baguettes" round. In this round you have to try to knock over balsawood sticks which are only 1 metre above the ground. Some models hit the ground, others either missed each other by millimetres or collided with each other. Spectator reaction ranged from disappointment to outright schadenfreude and shocked or sarcastic cheers rang out! Then it was Francois' turn. Francois can get rather nervous but Roger counselled him throughout the ten minutes of the round. I'm not sure whether he hit any sticks but his model survived to go on to the next round.

Gerard was less fortunate in Group 3. An inexperienced pilot, after two or three passes, he flew too high and too slowly and stalled. The fuselage snapped in three places and he was out of the competition.

We had no-one in Group 4 but Ludo who built the beautiful grey and red model pictured in Post 7121, flew in Group 5. With Roger again providing advice and guidance, he flew the round without hitting a stick but the model survived to the next round.

Roger flew in Group 6. He had once finished tenth in the French National Championships and he is a much better pilot than anybody else in our team. Jean-Luc carried his model to the start line, Roger took off and circulated with the rest of them. The Contest Director sounded his air horn and they were off! I watched the models fly past but could not see Roger's. His motor, an old OS 30, had cut and he was forced to land.

With Trish and other members of out club helping, Jean-Luc and I took our models to the starting boxes. The previous Wednesday, 4th September, I had gone with Trish to our local flying field. There I flew the Baron with a 13x4 prop and which proved to be suitable for slow speed flight but with a 10x8 fitted to the OS 48 FS, the model flew much more quickly. I therefore decided to fly the 13x4 in the first round.

I had made final adjustments to the engine in the pits. The mighty OS fired up straight away. Trish carried the model to the start-line I took off, climbed magnificently and circulated waiting for the others to get airborn. The CD sounded his airhorn... ... and my motor cut! I managed to affect a forced landing.

Jean-Luc was less lucky. His motor cut and he stalled and crashed severely damaging his model. I offered to help him to repair it but he wasn't interested. He spent the rest of the day helping out his clubmates.

The next round was a pylon race around two pylons. Francois dealt with the situatation by flying his under-powerred electric model high above his competitors but nonetheless succeeded in flying around 20 pylons. Ludo with his model powered by an OS 25 two stroke giving away a lot of power to the OS 35 AXs, managed 17. Roger managed only 9.

I had changed the prop to a 10x8 and I was having a great time flying much faster than I had ever flown the model before and was over-taking several competitors. I managed several pylons before I noticed that the tailplane was vibrating. After a couple of more circuits I was ordered to land by the contest director on safety grounds. I was allowed 12 pylons. Last year with an electric powered model I had managed 23.

Then we all adjourned for a four-course French lunch.

It's late here and the evenings are getting colder. I have driven nearly 700 miles (1127 kms) in the last few days and I'm rather tired. I hate driving these days so I'm going to bed. Part 2 of La Coupe Des Barons 2019 tomorrow!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-10-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck with part 2!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

La Coupe des Barons 2019.
Part 2.

The third test last year was the Chasse Renard or fox hunt in which a trainer slowly towed a crepe paper streamer while the rest of us tried to cut it off with our propellers. Apparently this was deemed too wasteful of Barons and too stressful for the trainer pilots, consequently a spot landing contest was adopted. Pity as I enjoyed the Chasse Renard. Two rectangles,10 metres by 5 metres were marked out on the ground. The object was to land and stop in one of the rectangles.That was worth 10 points. If you landed in the rectangle but rolled out you scored three points. If you landed outside the rectangle and rolled in as Francois did, you did not gain any extra points. Once all of the aircraft in a group were airbourne, the Contest Director told the No 1 pilot to cut his engine and attempt to land in one of the rectangles. If his aircraft landed a long way from the rectangle, as most did for by now a stiff breeze was blowing, the second pilot was told to cut his engine and attempt a landing and so on. Those few that landed in or close to the landing zones were cleared away by a helper. Roger, Ludo and I all managed to land and stop within 1.5 metres, (five feet) of the landing zone and each of us was awarded ten points for a successful landing. So was Francois. In fact of the fifty-six surviving Barons only three managed to land and stop within the rectangles.

Then we all got ready for the final round, the dreaded Limbo in which you have to fly beneath a goalpost 10 metres wide by 4 metres high. As the Baron only has a 1.5 metre wingspan this sounds easy but you just try it! The survivors of the first group took off took off. Every one of their models was wrecked within the next five minutes. In fact the round had to be run in two halves as one of the Barons brought down the goalpost after crashing in to it! This happened twice in subsequent rounds.

Then it was Francois' turn to fly. He managed six passes and several touch and goes which were not recorded in the results. A touch and go is worth 3 points, then his propeller touched the ground and whipped off the cowling and electric motor as neat as you like. Roger managed one pass then wrecked the wing of his model against the stanchion. I was surprised to see that is wing was made out of expanded polystyerene foam with balsa strips over laid to simulate wing ribs. Ludo wisely opted out of the Limbo claiming that he loved his model too much and that he had engine problems so I had to uphold the honour of the club. I changed the propeller for 13x4 and as I waited for the event to start I noticed for the first time that several of the models in my group were powered by four-stroke engines. Perhaps the organisers had deliberately put all of the four-stroke competitors into the same group. I shook hands with most of the pilots and wished them good luck. We took off. My first pass was too high but I managed to fly under the cross bar at the second attempt. The sun was by now in our eyes and the next pass was to one side. I prepared for another go when... ... my engine cut again! I landed out in the winter wheat, the judge said that he had awarded me one successful pass worth 10 points. I watched the rest of the round. Towards the end of the five-minute slot only two models were airbourne, a red electric powered model and a blue model powered by a four-stroke. They proceded to follow one another with metronomic precision until the propeller stopped on the four-stroke and he landed dead ahead. The electric model continued to clock up pass after pass until the CD started the five second count down, "Five, four ,three.." at this point the model hit the goalpost and was wrecked! I retrieved my model. The wing had become displaced in the forced landing and had slightly damaged the forward fuselage. Easy repair.

Doubtless all of this will have been recorded on the official video which will be published in a few weeks time. The group photograph and the provisional results are available below. Four of the B2M contingent stand at the extreme right of the picture in our pale blue club polo shirts: Jean-Luc stands extreme right with his model finished in olive drab with RAF roundels; Your Humble Servant stands next to him, silver model RAF roundels; Roger stands next to me, cream and dark yellow model; Gérard is behind us, black and transluscent orange model, Belgian roundels; Ludo's grey and red model is held up high at the back towards the centre of the group. I haven't been able to identify Francois and his Antique Solartex covered model but it's there somewhere.

In the end I finished 54th overall, one place down on last year but there were more competitors this year so proportionately it was a better result for me. If I had been allowed my 10 points for the limbo event I would have finished in 50th position.I don't think I'll bother with an official complaint! Francois was the best of us finishing in 30th position,a real case of the tortoise beating the hares if ever there was! He also won a prize for being the oldest competitor! Ludo finished 46th, Roger 48th, Gerard 67th and Jean-Luc 70th.

The twin fifteen year-old girls, Clara and Iris Fesquet were among the three entrants who didn't turn up on the day. Trish said that they'd probably discovered horses. I said, "Boys more likely!"

https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

Francois with his prize for being the oldest competitor. Our youngest pilot, Lodovic, stands to his right.

Trish watches me about to take off in the afternoon.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-10-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.