Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

They can do some interesting things but I wouldn't want to own one. To repulsive to look at!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:58 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I will not be rushing out to buy a drone either but I flew my electric powered foamy trainer this afternoon, the first flight by anyone in our club in 2021. Mind you it was very cold. I soon retired to the club house to have a couple of beers with my clubmates.

Snow forecast for tomorrow. The club treasurer says he's going to bring a model on skis. We'll see...
Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

flying field clubhouse with beer? does it get any better than that?
Old 01-02-2021, 02:26 PM
David John Davis

Originally Posted by bisco
flying field clubhouse with beer? does it get any better than that?
Yes, Spring Barbeque, Interclubs (Fly Ins to which neighbouring clubs are invited,) and New Years Eves. All of these before Covid 19 of course.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:25 PM
bisco

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Yes, Spring Barbeque, Interclubs (Fly Ins to which neighbouring clubs are invited,) and New Years Eves. All of these before Covid 19 of course.

beautiful! rc and social club. the perfect combination! and here i am, flying in a local fiel all alone
Old 01-02-2021, 11:29 PM
David John Davis

I'm pleased to be able to report that my entry for this year's Coupe Des Barons has been accepted. This is an event for an iconic French three-channel trainer called a Baron 1914 which first flew in the late Sixties or early Seventies. Eighty entrants are accepted with a waiting list of twenty this year to replace those who drop out. The event is getting to be increasingly popular. Entries are accepted from 00.01 on 1st January. I didn't apply until 11.30 and was fortunate to gain the 73rd slot. We will be taking a team of seven down to the event if two pilots on the waiting list are accepted.

The models all have to be built to the original specification plus or minus 10%. Engines are limited to a 35 two-stroke, a 56 four-stroke or 700 Watt electric motor.The original Baron used a 19! I will be campaigning a model fitted with a Thunder Tiger 54 and I donate a prize every year, £25 worth of balsawood, to the leading pilot who uses a four-stroke.

The entry is divided into eight groups of ten pilots and after a static concours d'elegance, the flying rounds of the competition begin. The first round is known as "caisse baguettes" or " break the sticks." 70 balsa wood sticks are pushed into the ground, ten rows of seven, each stick two metres apart which is bigger than the wingspan of a Baron. All you have to do is break or touch a stick and you get points for any stick you knock over; you have a judge supplied by the organising club standing behind you. Of course you have to fly less than one metre above the ground to hit a stick and any inaccuracy in your flying results in an accident. After five minutes of attempting to knock over the sticks, the survivors of the first group are called in and the second group gets its turn.

The second round is a pylon race between two pylons, then there's a break for a typical French four-course lunch washed down with a little vin rouge then the competition resumes with the third round in which a trainer slowly pulls a crepe paper streamer and contestants have to cut it with their propellers. Of course with up to eleven aircraft in the same airspace at the same time the chances of a collision are great! Finally there's the limbo round in which models have to fly through a "goalpost" ten metres wide by four metres high. It sounds easy but the goalpost is several metres away and not square on to the pilots.

This video of the 2017 event should clarify any questions you have. I chose the 2017 Coupe because it's more ammusing read "destructive" than that of other years. I was an entrant in the 2018 and 2019 competition but the 2020 event was cancelled due to Covid 19.

Last edited by David John Davis; 01-02-2021 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

A few stills from the 2018 and 2019 Coupes Des Barons.

Group photograph prior to the 2018 competition.

My Baron, Boris, in WW1 Russian colours chases a competitor in the pylon race. 2018.

Team Berry Marche Modelisme 2019. Note my two ton van in the background.

Team B2M 2019. I built both the model in the foreground and the rearmost model in the RAF markings.

My entry, Bertie Baron, in flight 2019.

Gerard's model bites the dust! 2019.

Miss Blue Eyes and Your Humble Servant with a slightly damaged Bertie at the end of the competition.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

First flight of 2021 yesterday!

The following users liked this post:
mkjohnston (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:02 AM
bisco

I'm pleased to be able to report that my entry for this year's Coupe Des Barons has been accepted. This is an event for an iconic French three-channel trainer called a Baron 1914 which first flew in the late Sixties or early Seventies. Eighty entrants are accepted with a waiting list of twenty this year to replace those who drop out. The event is getting to be increasingly popular. Entries are accepted from 00.01 on 1st January. I didn't apply until 11.30 and was fortunate to gain the 73rd slot. We will be taking a team of seven down to the event if two pilots on the waiting list are accepted.

The models all have to be built to the original specification plus or minus 10%. Engines are limited to a 35 two-stroke, a 56 four-stroke or 700 Watt electric motor.The original Baron used a 19! I will be campaigning a model fitted with a Thunder Tiger 54 and I donate a prize every year, £25 worth of balsawood, to the leading pilot who uses a four-stroke.

The entry is divided into eight groups of ten pilots and after a static concours d'elegance, the flying rounds of the competition begin. The first round is known as "caisse baguettes" or " break the sticks." 70 balsa wood sticks are pushed into the ground, ten rows of seven, each stick two metres apart which is bigger than the wingspan of a Baron. All you have to do is break or touch a stick and you get points for any stick you knock over; you have a judge supplied by the organising club standing behind you. Of course you have to fly less than one metre above the ground to hit a stick and any inaccuracy in your flying results in an accident. After five minutes of attempting to knock over the sticks, the survivors of the first group are called in and the second group gets its turn.

The second round is a pylon race between two pylons, then there's a break for a typical French four-course lunch washed down with a little vin rouge then the competition resumes with the third round in which a trainer slowly pulls a crepe paper streamer and contestants have to cut it with their propellers. Of course with up to eleven aircraft in the same airspace at the same time the chances of a collision are great! Finally there's the limbo round in which models have to fly through a "goalpost" ten metres wide by four metres high. It sounds easy but the goalpost is several metres away and not square on to the pilots.

This video of the 2017 event should clarify any questions you have. I chose the 2017 Coupe because it's more ammusing read "destructive" than that of other years. I was an entrant in the 2018 and 2019 competition but the 2020 event was cancelled due to Covid 19. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWg0Ad5cKs
david,
it is 9am here in boston. i just enjoyed tremendously, your video with my morning coffee.

thank you for posting it. as a newbie to the rc world, and no club yet, due to covid, it is wonderful to see such a group of friends enjoying a beautiful day and event.
it is also nice to see that i'm not the only one crashing my airplane.

there was some great flying, way beyond my capabilities, beautiful airplanes and the scenery is amazing. how fortunate to get nice weather for an event like that.

i hope you are all able to do it again in 2021!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck David! WHen will the 2021 Coupe Des Barons be held this year? I remember the time had been altered before.

Mike
Old 01-03-2021, 08:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Good luck David! WHen will the 2021 Coupe Des Barons be held this year? I remember the time had been altered before.

Mike
12th June Mike but that depends on what the Covid 19 regulations will be at the time. I see that all of the hot shot pilots have entered: nos 2,4, 66 and 166 for example. They'll all be flying their OS 35 AX equipped models with tuned pipes.

PS. The chap in the sunglasses and dark blue top in the pictures of our club's entrants, is Francois Dutreuil, the oldest member of our club and probably the best builder. Not only did he beat all of the other pilots from our club, he got a prize for being the oldest pilot at the event!

2019 video attached you can see his model in flight at 8.25 and that of the club's president at 13.57. https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-03-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:37 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

See, Thats what the young "drone" and ARF Park Flyer pilots are missing out on by not joining a club, Then again, "SOME" clubs are too politically structured with Rules and Regulations and strict standards and Huff Puff that I can see why they avoid them. I like the club I belong to. You flying? Yep, OK, have a brat when your done. I swear more chit chat is done than flying. LOL Hopefully this year my friend can get his runway back. It is behind his restoration barn, and a couple years ago, the gravel pit who owns the land right behind his property expanded the pit, and reclaimed some of the run way for the berm. He has the width back, but needs to roll, fill, roll and fill and roll it to get it back to what it was, then we can fly there again. We have fun flying as we chase each other. My planes are a little bigger than his, so it is easy to judge so we don't fly into each other, came close a few times, if 10' is close. When his brother comes out to fly, he flies so close to him, that he could reach out and touch it. He can easily do the limbo with an inch to spare.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:57 AM
bisco

any club that serves beer and wine is okay by me
Old 01-03-2021, 11:36 AM
David John Davis

Originally Posted by bisco
any club that serves beer and wine is okay by me
Oh no.

You have to BUY the beer and the wine.

It's my club's major source of income! 2160 € from a total income of 5197 €!

Last edited by David John Davis; 01-03-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:42 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To all my fellow friends On RCU I want to wish you all a happy new year and hopefully I will get some major flying projects done so I can show them to you! I am one of 3 people in my club that actually builds and still fly glow powered RC aiplanes. it is getting very hard to find kits now but that is all right as I have enough to build for the next 10 years!
Good Luck in 2021
Michael Johnston
The following 2 users liked this post by mkjohnston:
BarracudaHockey (01-04-2021), David John Davis (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

YUou can't be as slow as me Mike! See signature below!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:06 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Oh no.

You have to BUY the beer and the wine.

It's my club's major source of income! 2160 € from a total income of 5197 €!
A few years ago several friends and I flew behind my home, beer was available and was nice to have during the hot days of summer. The problem that occurred was too much was consumed and things sometimes got dangerous so I had to limit all alcoholic beverages to be consumed after the flying ended which many times was just before sundown. those happy times are sorely missed and most have moved on to other things.

I have all but stopped building or flying and can't seem to get back in the groove of modeling, I just sit in my shop and stare at the walls, though I have many kits and supplies to last a lifetime. I have seriously considered selling out. I will most likely reduce the size of the models I build in the future.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Donny,

I think as we age it gets easier to be overwhelmed by the number of projects we have waiting in the wings.

My mother in-law was like that she was 93 when she passed. We took care of her for over 15 years after my father in-law passed from cancer. Lucy got to the point when we would take her out to eat (a favorite pastime for her) the menus could quickly overwhelm her if they had too many items. We would take her to places she enjoyed in the past and would suggest she order things she had previously enjoyed. She wasn't always hungry food but she was always up for dessert! We enjoyed her company a lot.

Mike
Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
A few years ago several friends and I flew behind my home, beer was available and was nice to have during the hot days of summer. The problem that occurred was too much was consumed and things sometimes got dangerous so I had to limit all alcoholic beverages to be consumed after the flying ended which many times was just before sundown. those happy times are sorely missed and most have moved on to other things.

I have all but stopped building or flying and can't seem to get back in the groove of modeling, I just sit in my shop and stare at the walls, though I have many kits and supplies to last a lifetime. I have seriously considered selling out. I will most likely reduce the size of the models I build in the future.
I understand completely, Donny. I was heavily involved in two clubs for over 20 years, but other interests, obligations and circumstances prompted me to sell out 8-10 years ago. Had about 70 kits and too much other gear to count. I've tried to go back twice in the last two years, but it's not the same hobby anymore. The camaraderie is gone. There aren't enough people deeply involved in the building and flying of models to support a club and/or flying site in a metro area of 750,000 people anymore - and there is no real hope of changing that. I love to build, tinker, modify, improve, experiment, and design model airplanes, but I don't enjoy flying alone enough to make it worth the investment in time and energy. I miss the social aspect of a vibrant, active club - for many years, I was part of the leadership of both clubs.

In the Good Old Days, which for me was 1989-2010, the R/C airplane hobby was addictive. It required commitment to master. Most of the people I knew had built at least one kit, almost all had at least assembled an ARF, most flew glow, but they welcomed gassers and electrics warmly. Fun-flys were well attended, and often included potlucks. Meetings usually had raffles and show-and-tell. People were quick to help each other. Newbies had no problem finding a mentor, and folks with physical issues never had to struggle with getting their plane back. Nobody took a salvageable airframe to the dump, and lots of stuff that owners had lost interest in got traded among members - and many were gifted long before Pay It Forward was a slogan. Clubs attended full-scale airshows and holiday parades to promote the club and the hobby, and many clubs held events to promote Toys For Tots, gathering many more toys than they had participants. Field workdays were productive, and major field improvements were funded by members giving what they could. Clubs supported members special interests - pattern flyers worked pylon races, racers supported pattern events, and clubs even had events just for their own members (which often increased membership). If a member was struggling, support from other members came quickly - we were family. Sure, we had issues from time to time (what family doesn't?) but we had each other's backs. The common interest in model airplanes bound us together. Even the "splinter groups" who spun off to form a new club usually remained friends, and often members of both clubs. That happened with several special interests that grew large enough to spawn a club dedicated to that special interest - Helicopters, Gliders, and Pattern all spun off. Even the anti-club "rebels" banded together to create an anti-club club, and the President of the big established club rustled up a road grader and graded their field for them for free. Many members joined both clubs, and if there was a field closure at either club then the other club was quick to host for all as guests. If there was a meeting of a governmental agency that affected a current or proposed flying site, the word went out and everybody that could showed up. There's nothing like 250 supporters showing up to a public meeting to change the minds of Boards that were expecting less than a dozen.

A couple of months ago, I got a call on my cell phone from the county Airports Director. The biggest club in the area uses a remote County airstrip, and the Director had heard some rumors that an unsanctioned gathering might be taking place at the site. Twenty years ago, we had a dozen drag racers from Arizona show up there (with trucks, trailers, and full staging lights) thinking they were going to use the runway as a drag strip for the weekend. The club's presence and formal agreement with the Airports Department has been greatly beneficial to the County, helping keep an eye on this unmanned facility for the County. Prior to the club's agreement, there were numerous problems from kids partying to drug smuggling. We even arrived one morning to find a live porn filming in progress. So, ten years after I was president of the club, here's the Director calling me for information. He couldn't reach any of the current leadership. In the Good Old Days, there were enough flyers using the field that he would have known without having to ask. I'd bet the FAA won't allow models there when they start approving fields, and there aren't enough flyers left to protest that decision effectively, or even garner the support of the Airports Department - they aren't a large enough group.

I now have expanded my shooting sports involvement. I have the blessing of a suitable spot behind my home for a range, and enjoy working on guns. My wife has developed a strong interest in shooting, and I have several family members and friends who enjoy it as well. I am also a member of a shooting sports club locally, and can participate there as time allows. Many parallels to my fondest memories of the heyday of my R/C years - several active online forums, a variety of special interests, competitions, lots of people with common interests enjoying them together.

Last edited by Stikum; 01-05-2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2021, 11:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have started a new job so time to pop in here has been affected. I am hoping to complete my latest build this weekend. I have made the decision to buy only one more kit when I get sufficient funds saved up and then nothing more until I get the majority of what I have on hand built. I know famous last words but... The one kit will be a vintage SIG RC-27 Maxey Hester STA Special. They keep popping up on Ebay so I should be able to find it if I can get enough scratch in the ole kitty.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:47 PM
David John Davis

Sorry to hear that both Donny and Stikum are no longer as enthusiastic as they once were.

I bought an unflown Brian Taylor Harvard (North American T6 to you Transatlantics) finished in RAF colours from an old boy in Somerset, England, years ago and he claimed that all aeromodellers were hoarders. He was right too!

It's easy to get overwhelmed by taking on too much. My New Year's Resolution is to repair a vintage aerobatic model called an Uproar, to prepare my Baron for La Coupe Des Barons, to complete the DB Sport and Scale Auster, to finish off a Dave Smith Models patternship, the Aerostar and to assemble an Acrowot ARTF. Then there's that WOT 4 to repair. Anything else will be a bonus! I'll let you know how I get on.

I have at least nine unstarted kits in my workshop mostly pattern stuff but ranging from a 58" sports aerobatic job called a Skyrider through to a 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel. I'm never going to finish them. Come to think of it at 72 years of age, I'm never going to start most of them before the Grim Reaper gets me! Any of you gentlemen fancy a 1/4 scale SE5 or a 1/6 scale Fokker DVII kit? I've got one for sale!

My current club in the middle of rural France has thirty-three members and attracts members from as much as 30 miles away probably because we have gained a reputation for helping beginners or returnees. I have always enjoyed teaching people how to fly so I'm the self appointed Deputy Chief Flying Instructor! Once a beginner has had a few flights with the club's president, he is sent on to me for more stick time, even though I'm Mode 2 and nearly all Frenchmen are Mode 1. I suppose I get most of my satisfaction from the hobby not only from seeing a model take shape from a pile of sticks but also from seeing beginners make progress. I have even gained a nickname among my French trainees, "Aile Plat" which literally "Wing Flat" because I teach them to level the wings after each turn!

Of the thirty-three members we have four Englishmen and two Belgians so we're a pretty international lot. Unfortunately none of the other Englishmen can speak French so I have to translate for them. We used to have two Dutchmen as well but one moved back to Holland and the other never seemed to get the hang of flying. He could take off and fly about then he'd suddenly get disorientated and crash. Conversations at the flying field at that time were a melange of French, Flemish, Dutch and English!

As for the beer drinking, the general practice at my club is as follows. People turn up at about 14.30 for no Frenchman will skip lunch if he can avoid it! Then we have a cup of coffee and a chat, then we might actually fly something. After a couple of hours we retire to the clubhouse for a beer. People fight to buy their round! Then we fly for another couple of hours then go back to the hut for some more beer. Drinking alcohol is not compulsory, we have a few teetotallers, but we charge 1€ for each beer or soft drink consumed on the premises and in this way the club makes a profit. Of course in the winter we do more drinking than flying!

Pictures of some of the models referred to above below.

PS. I've never flown that T6 since I bought it!

My version of Chris Olsen's Uproar. It finished second in the 1959 European Aerobatic Championship.

Dave Smith Aerostar

This is my old Acrowot, OS 61 SF up. I could never get it into my head that Acrowots can fly very slowly so I was forever wiping out the landing gear on landing. This usually dislodged the wing and took out the servo mounting plate! I have an ARTF version to replace it.

My Baron "Bertie" in flight at the 2019 Coupe Des Barons.

A real Auster. Mine will be substantially white powered by a Laser 80 fourstroke.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:41 AM
bisco

sounds wonderful.
i just got started in may, have already accumulated a hanful of planes, have two unbuilt, and still eyeing others.

i completely understand the obsession!
Old 01-06-2021, 05:49 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I've come across a used 44" scanner/printer that I am considering. Would be very handy to get parts into the computer for cutting.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

It looks like I have inherited another airplane, Midwest Aero Star 40 with a K&B .61 in the nose. The only repair needed is to recover part of the vertical fin on one side. I already have a kit for this airplane waiting to be built. Still haven't figured out where to store it either. If memory serves the Aero Star was the only airplane equal or superior to the SIG Kadet LT-40 as a trainer.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:37 AM
billgstra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know i'm a little late coming to the party but that's not much more than a modern copy of my old dyna jet
Bill
SAD member

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.