Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 05:34 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i read that ted cruz tried to pull a fast one on you guys, but got caught
Old 02-19-2021, 05:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Yeah, he is another prime example for never voting for an incumbent! The idiots around here reelected no show Inhofe again. I swear I think he has Alzheimer's, he misses 3 out 4 votes and if you talk to the man he can string a complete sentence together and has no idea what is going on. We would be so much better off with nation wide term limits, it would certainly get rid of some of the deadwood in Congress and the state offices.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 02-19-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:59 AM
bisco

agreed. people love their congress critters, but hate everyone else's. i've never understood it.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

... On the door idea I have one question, does it serve an useful purpose? If it does keep it, if it doesn't leave it off. Since you asked I'm thinking you did use it.
Yes Mike I used to have to open the door to switch on the receiver but that was always a bit of a bind when the wing was banded into position. Even if I incorporate a door, I'll mount the switch externally on the next one.

I suppose that the door makes for a bit of a conversation piece. I could regale the younger geration about old time valve (tube) receivers, and wouldn't they be bored!
Old 02-19-2021, 06:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

You could always mount a non-functioning tube and socket just inside the door, now that would get their attention!

The younger generation can be a bit gullible.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well that is interesting just heard a bang shortly before 8 am this morning and now the news is reporting a 4.5 Earthquake in northern Oklahoma at that time. It was felt as far south as Norman Oklahoma nd way up into Kansas.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:46 AM
bisco

end times
Old 02-19-2021, 06:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

No, more like salt water disposal wells.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I vote for the door with Porky Pig there with a terrified look on his face wearing a hat that has flames coming out of it.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:43 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I tried to post earlier but my system locked up.
DAVE do the door on the guff with the tube radio idea showing, great attention getter.

we got sunshine, and warming temps. but still gonna freeze tonight, Look at the results of the water from the upstairs frozen pipes, I might be able to start repairs tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ouch!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:48 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by bisco
i read that ted cruz tried to pull a fast one on you guys, but got caught
No surprise to me, It seems the people here love this type of Jackass, this state is full of them.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:56 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by otrcman
Dang, things are getting pretty ugly out there !

Donny, I can finally see why your heart is still in Brooklyn .... you miss the mild climate in New York.

Dick
we were ready for the mild climate in Brooklyn, IT ain't normal here!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:42 AM
donnyman

Yesterday we decided to get fast food, only to realize just how bad Texas has been hit. most stores were closed, those opened were swamped with customers, hamburger vendors dumping rotten food. it is a true disaster here, water and food is very limited.
This mess is the worst than I can remember. I will begin my recovery today but first I have to rid my steps of ice to isolate the broken pipes. Thawed snow is used to flush comodes once or twice a day (stinky!) but now the ice is melting away.
on the bright side the sun is shining and we are not freezing to death. Over all when I see what other people are suffering I feel fotunate.
bisco (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 08:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can't complain either, we have water, heat, and electricity. The only problem I have is a large snow drift across the driveway. The wife won't let me near a shovel she is afraid I'll have a heart attack because of the past chest pains I have suffered. I tried sneaking out and shoveling a little yesterday and caught holy heck. She even ratted me out to the kids and I got it all over again.
bisco (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Here in the Caribbean where the temperatures seldom ever drops below 55 deg. F we have been watching the news quite closely regarding the horrible weather your guys to the north of us have been experiencing. Based on the horror stories we have both seen and heard about, all of you have my deepest and most sincere sympathies for the hardships and inconveniences this inclement weather has brought on you. I really hope that it starts to warm up soonest and that the relevant authorities can get all of your essential services like power and water back up and running.

Last edited by karolh; 02-20-2021 at 09:28 AM.
bisco (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 11:43 AM
donnyman

Thanks for the kind thoughts Karolh, finally made it up to my shop to be amazed, it is dry as and old bone even the wet marked boxes and model plans. I will have to pull out the sink to reach the broken pipes but that should be easy enough. once the broken pipes are capped off I hope I am able to pressurize the system to test for other leaks. the outside temps have risen to and acceptable level so working outside isn't bad at all. we have fresh water at my daughters trailer so things a looking up.
only my old bones are fussing at me. I'm taking a short rest right now.

This ice is melting very fast we maybe dried out this time tomorrow.
bisco (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 03:47 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve been in recovery mode all day like the rest. Mainly moving snow and ice. Keeping water from entering the shop. The driveway, by the road, was melting but I had to clear a couple of snow drifts that didn’t melt. The rest of the driveway, toward the house, is still ice covered. Going to try to head for town tomorrow. It should be a good day as the ice continues to melt.

My main problem was 2 septic tanks. They had flooded and failed a while back. I had them drained and then left them covered but not buried. I was making sure the drain field was working. Then this snow hit, filled the holes and now the snow and ice is melting.

First, I had to find my hand pump. It was buried in the snow. One tank was easy but the second was full of water. It took about 30-40 minutes to empty it until I could see the tank cover. Tomorrow I’ll finish pumping the water and get it ready for burial.

It is so much fun owning a house.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:31 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I admire the resilience and positive attitudes of all you folks who are enduring this weather. You are an inspiration.

Dick
Old 02-20-2021, 09:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

You all have my sympathies and admiration.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:31 AM
ETpilot

I really get annoyed when emergency managers and people in authority fail to put out information on simple things that would help the population. Cases in point: the power outage during a deep freeze which we had. A simple thing to do is shut off the water if the power outage will be of a long duration and no other means of heating the structure. Notices like this did not start being mentioned until pipes started bursting and homes and businesses flooded, as far as I know. All kinds of videos on TV showing the water damage. Then the advice came out.

Many people probably don’t even know where to shut off the water. Videos started being shown how to do this. I have friends that recently purchased a house 2 hours from NYC. The house is vacant and will be vacant for 2 more weeks. Looking at the weather I recommended they go to the house and turn off the water, water heater and ice maker. They were reluctant but took the advice. Better a 4 hour round trip than a flooded house should a pipe burst.

Any time I leave the house for an extended period, I shut off the water, water heater and ice maker. In winter time I also shut off the water to the shop, drain the pipes and set up the pump house with heat. Deep freeze is rare here so this procedure probably would not have helped had I been away and I had a power outage. Lessons learned.

Then there is the boil water order. Some people with water had no means to boil water. No other information was given. Well you can purify water with bleach. I sent an email to a popular cable news channel of this fact with a formula. I suggested they review my information and broadcast it to help the people out. I never saw where the information was broadcast. I probably never expected it would be. Just taking a shot in the dark.

So today I am reading my news app on my iPad. There it is, information on disinfecting water with bleach. Quite a bit late.

Here is the information if anyone is interested. My rant has ended. On to other problems.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:12 AM
bisco

there are people who like to be prepared, and people who go through life flying by the seat of their pants. i'm not sure why, but every time a storm is predicted here, the seat of the pants people are cleaning out the supermarket shelves and hardware stores.
and we get severe weather all the time.

Last edited by bisco; 02-23-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:39 AM
ETpilot

Busco you are correct. A lot of people just don’t know what to do. Getting some good information to combat the emergency helps.

Well I didn’t get off scot-free. Yesterday I turned on the water to the shop. I went inside to check and heard a roar coming from the bathroom. The bathroom was flooding with water. Turned off water and found water was coming from the vanity cabinet. I swept the water out the shop door and left it until later.

I inspected with a spotlight and mirror and found a crack in the supply line going to the faucet. I should have changed these supply lines long ago but I kept putting it off. Paid the price.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:26 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well look on the bright side, at least you got the floor washed. Sitting here in my shop/office where I spend the majority of my time these days and not doing work shoppy work, I am watching the water slowly creep in from the corner as the snow outside melts. Hit a balmy 47* today.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:44 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

We got up to 56. The snow is melting pretty fast at those temps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.