Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

tired of arfs....wanna start kit building

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

tired of arfs....wanna start kit building

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:52 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a thread on here called where have all the kits gone? Find it .stick with Goldberg sig and topflight.the Goldberg tiger is an excellent sport kit.also check out eureka rc. Excellent kitand if you like warbirds go to balsa usa.kits are sometimes hard to come by but with a little effort you can find them.i just got a masters kit of a hyperbipe .look on ebay under hobbies and toys .go to radio control vehicles pick airplanes and select unassembled kits. As far as engines go 2 stroke nitro are dirt cheap .or invest in a four stroke still burns glow or go for broke and get a 2 stroke gasoline and be done with good glow.and get fuel cheap in the long run its the best decision .
Old 12-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwright27
I fly everything from a 40 sized trainer to a 33 percent sukhoi. Ive been flying for about 27 years now. Everything has either been an arf or bought built airframe. I really wanna build my own.
BALSA USA .............. take your pick !!
Old 12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
wally3185
My Feedback: (26)

Tower Hobbies Uproar, simple, cheap, easy to build, flies great. A good plane to get your feet wet with, my .02
Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/426.htm

Here is the link to the Balsa USA Student Trainer. Consider this project just like the old Heath Kit electronic kits, only you end up with a model airplane.
You will probably learn more from this build than any of the other suggested builds.

You could probably get through most of the other suggested builds and end up with a nice flying model, but this one would definitely be teaching you solid building skills.

That's my two cents worth.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:54 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC Art. Have you built the BUSA Student Trainer ?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Originally Posted by TomCrump
RC Art. Have you built the BUSA Student Trainer ?
No, but I have built several of their kits over the years. Their instruction books kept on getting better with each new kit that they introduced and there were many building hints scattered through out the manuals. With the Student Trainer manual all of these hints are included and expanded upon - it provides good basic knowledge of how to build a model airplane, provided by people who have been flying, designing and producing models for years.

I think this is what the original poster was after ........ a good kit for learning the art/hobby of building.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

It only took 27 years for you to realize that you were missing the hobby part of this madness. Flying is the sport part.

Seriously, it might be difficult at this point to find a kit that would be appropriate for a beginning builder and that you would be interested in flying after it was built since you have already been flying pretty sophisticated stuff. As mentioned earlier, maybe a King Kobra would work for you. It is a blast to fly and a fairly straight forward build. Sig includes very good instructions and plans with their kits.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly everything from a 40 sized trainer to a 33 percent sukhoi. Ive been flying for about 27 years now. Everything has either been an arf or bought built airframe. I really wanna build my own.
n27 my first question would be, What are you currently flying and are you looking for a change of pace ?. Next if you have never built a kit, then I would suggest any of the hi or low straight wing trike geared simple birds for a start, if nothing more then to teach your self some building skills, and there a good many to chose from depending on your engine of choice.

When you do pick a project start a thread then if you have questions there are many on RCU that can give you good answer's.

Best of luck

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 PM
oliveDrab

Been flying arfs now for a while.....and am finally ready to start kit building. Anybody have any recommendations on a good first kit? Not gonna be picky on what it is
Sig 4 Star 60. The oliveDrab one on the floor is a 4 Star 60, the one on the table is a 4 Star 120.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4-bladed 4Star120 005.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	2058480  
Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM
nwright27

Found a friend that has a house of balsa p-51. Im thinking about taking it off his hands. Anybody have any feedback on this kit?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my old flying buddies built one, a few years back, flew good but it builds heave had fixed gear don't remember the engine but it was a glow type, but if you want to learn to build I would say go for it.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6
Old 12-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Redtail_Customs

If you have limited building skills get the SIG 4 star very easy to build and or the Goldberg kit I been building kits ang scratch building . I'm just getting back into the hobby and building a four star to get the feel back and set up my shop and building table .
Jim
Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

I can't believe that the SIG Somethin' Extra hasn't been recommended yet. It's called a "Fun Flyer" for a reason, after all

And the kit, being laser-cut with excellent instructions, could not be easier or more fun to build, either! And even better, there are tons of build threads here on RCU, if you get to a point where you need some help.

Let me tell you, I built a Somethin' Extra as my first kit, and liked it so much that I've built 2 more since then... and I have a NIB kit waiting for me on the shelf- for when the inevitable itch to build an easy, fun kit strikes.

I just can't recommend the SSE enough. It will teach you the basics of kit building. You can cram an insane engine in the nose if you want (my favorite had a Saito 82 up front, woo!). It's docile when you want to chill out, does awesome touch 'n' goes, and can do most every maneuver in the book, fast or slow.

Can you tell I love this kit?? Haw

But I'd bet if you were to build one, you'd be hooked too!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Also, if you try to make your first build a scale craft like the HOB P-51, you are setting yourself up for frustration and failure. Just like you have to learn the basics of flight before entering a pattern competition, you really owe it to yourself to make your first building attempt as easy and fun as possible. Then, you can use the skills gained from that experience for the next kit. Just sayin'
Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Redtail_Customs

RV is right on the money keep it simple. And stay away from the mods till you get some building under your belt

Jim
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
RV is right on the money keep it simple. And stay away from the mods till you get some building under your belt

Jim
+3

There are better choices than a P=51, when learning to build.. I suggest that you stay with the Goldberg Tiger, or the Sig kits.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I still vote for the Tigers or FourStars.. Pick a size... either model is available in more then one size. Also, each one of these can be built with tools found around the house, and a flat/clean table. I'm not knocking tools at all..no no... as you get into building, you'll have time to get as many tools as you like... as well as build "your own brand" of planes that come from these types of kits.. The steps involved in these kits are easily acheivable by just studying and following the manual(s)..

You will learn techniques from each kit, and company that produces them... as each has its own "brand of technique" for lack of better term... and after building from 2 or 3 of different kit manufacturers... you'll start mixing the techniques learned from each one...... and you'll know what works better for YOU.. as well as have a good grasp on tools that work better for you too.... then you're cookin.. and nothing will intimidate you... and it goes on from there.. with that said too... be patient with each one.. You'll do great. Happy New Year!.