Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

POLICING has Already Started

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

POLICING has Already Started

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
One judge overruled the other six?? didn't think that was how the court worked
Don't ruin the folklore man....it sounds better when he says one did it.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:19 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

One judge overruled the other six?? didn't think that was how the court worked
Well actually there are 9 not 7 and the majority opinion by Rehnquist did go against the constitution in the 6-3 ruling.
But back on topic.
Hey you flying your toy airplane, pull it over and show me your papers !
Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 AM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well again,, yes and no,, DUI check points pull you over for no reason,, and have been ruled constitutional as long as they stop everyone who comes by and don't "select" those to pull over,, so as long as the police check everyone,, yes they can stop you without cause.
t's not quite that simple, I have gone through many DUI checkpoints, because LE where I lives loves them I guess. I never had to take a sobriety test because I give them no probable cause. For example they always ask "how much have you had to drink" and/or "where are you coming from" If you admit to having any alcohol at all or you slur your words or they smell alcohol you have just given them probable cause to do a full stop for suspicion of DUI.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Well actually there are 9 not 7 and the majority opinion by Rehnquist did go against the constitution in the 6-3 ruling.
But back on topic.
Hey you flying your toy airplane, pull it over and show me your papers !
my bad, was it 6-3,, cool,, your statement was still wrong wasn't it,, but heck,, what does the truth matter to some guys these days anyway..

Like others have said,, I think the whole story on HF is BS,, I seriously doubt LEOs are going to come to our club unless they want to learn to fly,, but time will tell,, speculating wildly over ridiculous scenarios is pointless.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

my bad, was it 6-3,, cool,, your statement was still wrong wasn't it,, but heck,, what does the truth matter to some guys these days anyway..

Like others have said,, I think the whole story on HF is BS,, I seriously doubt LEOs are going to come to our club unless they want to learn to fly,, but time will tell,, speculating wildly over ridiculous scenarios is pointless.
Speculating and telling half the story is sport for some, as is yelling "sheeple" over and over. Meh!

The story on HF took a while to unfold, it wasn't BS, just the way it was initially postured. Turns out the guy was flying in a school yard while school was in session. Of course he didn't say that right away, it sort of had to be dragged out of him by his own fellow posters who smelled something not quite right with his story. The end result...he had no absolute "right" to be doing what he was doing, and did the smart thing in putting his heli down and speaking to the LE who showed up. Of course rather than learn from that experience, he wanted to cast himself as the great downtrodden, his "rights' being trampled on and such. Knowing full well someone would come along and glom on to the story and try to spin it, hoping more "sheeple" would buy into it. Fail!
Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 AM
scale only 4 me

The 'ole,, the facts don't fit my agenda,, so I'll make up some new ones that do trick,,,, partial BS is still BS
Old 12-27-2015, 01:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yup
Old 12-27-2015, 03:11 PM
fulltimebuilder

Somehow, I just have this gut feeling the original message posted about having a cop ask for his registration number is just an over active imagination. This no reason in the world why any law enforcement officer, at any level, local, sheriff, or state police would stop and ask for your registration number. 99% of the local level law enforcement officers don't even know about this registration B/S anyway.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by fulltimebuilder
This no reason in the world why any law enforcement officer, at any level, local, sheriff, or state police would stop and ask for your registration number.
Yes there is, how many cops do you think fly RC and just want to test the new system?

I was flying at a park a year ago and someone called the police stating I was "filming everybody" with my "Drone" (the park was empty as you can see)

A local police car arrived and a lone Sergeant approached me, he was smiling and friendly, didn't even ask for my name or ID, he told me the only reason he responded to the call is because he flies RC also and wanted to see what I was flying.

After a friendly chat he confirmed it was fine to keep flying and he went on his way.

I am sure there is at least one LEO in the USA who flys RC and wants to test the 24 hour FAA hotline for registration confirmation. I was an Officer for 23 years in the NSW State Police Force, I saw many young and keen officers who would make it a point to test new legislation the first day it was enacted.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-27-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:38 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had enough.. Back to flying and building. Hope all is well when the dust settles.

Unsubscribed
Old 12-27-2015, 04:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by fulltimebuilder
Somehow, I just have this gut feeling the original message posted about having a cop ask for his registration number is just an over active imagination. This no reason in the world why any law enforcement officer, at any level, local, sheriff, or state police would stop and ask for your registration number. 99% of the local level law enforcement officers don't even know about this registration B/S anyway.
Gotta read through the whole story there, the OP was only telling a tiny part of it, and after you read the whole thing you'll know why. The quick and dirty is that he was flying his aircraft in a school yard/field, while classes were in session. That is why he was approached and questioned, but he didn't tell that part initially, it only came out after his fellow flying buds pulled it out of them. As Paul Harvey was fond of saying...

And now you know, the rest of the story...GOOD DAY? ( I miss his reports).
Old 12-28-2015, 03:26 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to see the FAA's position this is the complete document. To the right side of this webpage you will find a link to comment on this IFR (interim final rule). Comment period is only open for roughly two more weeks. I strongly encourage every modeler to participate.

After reading this document it looks like the FAA believes the registration of all model aircraft is not contrary to the provisions of Public Law 112-95 Section 336.

If you read the 336 bit alone it doesn't present the full story, nor the current position of the FAA. I now understand why the AMA is fighting the FAA.

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...anned-aircraft
Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 757Driver
If you want to see the FAA's position this is the complete document. To the right side of this webpage you will find a link to comment on this IFR (interim final rule). Comment period is only open for roughly two more weeks. I strongly encourage every modeler to participate.

After reading this document it looks like the FAA believes the registration of all model aircraft is not contrary to the provisions of Public Law 112-95 Section 336.

If you read the 336 bit alone it doesn't present the full story, nor the current position of the FAA. I now understand why the AMA is fighting the FAA.

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...anned-aircraft
The AMA has felt strongly about this and even started litigation back in 2014 to remedy what they felt was an overreach by the FAA.

Do you understand why we are required to register as well?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:27 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I made no sa comments toward you because you didn't know how many justices are on the supreme court ! My statements are correct but it's pointless to try and explain it further to you or Tom or anyone else who just enjoys arguing instead of discussing ,and pronounces their judgement on almost every thread.

Did anyone else get pulled over this weekend while flying ?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

yes of course your statement's are always correct Brian, if only everyone would just see the wisdom and agree with you, but then you might label them all as sheeple right? Just more hypocrisy.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 AM
swimmer316

I would tend to agree with those calling "BS" on this one.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 AM
scale only 4 me

I made no sa comments toward you because you didn't know how many justices are on the supreme court ! My statements are correct but it's pointless to try and explain it further to you or Tom or anyone else who just enjoys arguing instead of discussing ,and pronounces their judgement on almost every thread.

Did anyone else get pulled over this weekend while flying ?
Brian, your opinions are correct, because they are just that,, your opinions, unfortunately you present them as fact,, which invites contention,, your "one Judge" comment was your opinion, it takes a majority of the court to decide a case,, that's a fact. Your "Cops can't pull you over unless you break the law" comment was also an opinion, which I was discussing by saying yes and no and pointing out the DUI thing until you changed the subject to the One Judge thing, You just don't get to post any ole thing without someone correcting you when your facts are wrong or they disagree with your opinion, Just like my 7-9 mistake, I'm not hurt you corrected that, it was an honest mistake, we all make those don't we.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I have my opinions as do others and I'll say that my experience with the FAA being a Commercial Licensed pilot and A&P Mechanic, that they are really only interested in paperwork with an occasional, and I mean very rarely, a ramp check.

They have an authority over folks with licenses they can revoke, so those folks who are cited have no recourse but to comply. The general public does not have to comply with FAA directives. They don't have the same kind of horsepower the EPA or DHS have to make their rules stick. There have already been challenges to FAA fines concerning the operation of "drones", none of which that I'm aware of, have resulted in anything more than a rebuke of the FAA. The one about the guy flying is Quad right down the main walkway of a major university (sorry I don't remember which one) where the FAA fined the guy $10,000.00 got tossed by the administrative law judge. Even the "dictate" says you can challenge the FAA by appealing to an administrative law Judge.

The last part I find interesting, is that DHS says State and Local Law Enforcement can't enforce Federal Law, how can they do it with this "Federal Law".

And last, State and Local Law enforcement have much better things to do with their time and short staffing than chasing errant "Drones" with no "cause" and for which the FAA isn't going to pay them.

Just a few of my thoughts.....
Old 12-28-2015, 05:36 PM
[email protected]

I'm a teacher. And flying while school is in session is dangerous. Especially with all the bombings and shootings of late. I can't blame the school for calling the situation in. They are responsible for the children's well being as well as hours. Now, having said that; I was flying my planes at a local school parking lot in the summer. No children. As I was putting my planes on the ground behind my car, along came a police officer. He had his window down, so I said "Good Morning!" He smiled and said "Good Morning!" back to me as he drove by.
Another case is while flying in an undeveloped subdivision, there were houses about 2 miles at the back of the subdivision. I was at the front where there were no houses, just the streets. An officer came by and said somebody called in because people were dumping their garbage in the empty lots. When I showed her what I was doing, she said it was fine. She would radio her partners and let them know I was here and that I wasn't dumping garbage. I even let her pick up my Wildcat to show her how light they were. She was amazed. Sometimes all you have to do is educate. She left and said "have a nice time." My point: All you have to do is smile, and talk cordially. She didn't even bother to ask for ID's. And if she did, I would have gladly shown them to her. I've got nothing to hide. Do you???? ;-)
Old 12-28-2015, 05:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I'm a teacher. And flying while school is in session is dangerous. Especially with all the bombings and shootings of late. I can't blame the school for calling the situation in. They are responsible for the children's well being as well as hours. Now, having said that; I was flying my planes at a local school parking lot in the summer. No children. As I was putting my planes on the ground behind my car, along came a police officer. He had his window down, so I said "Good Morning!" He smiled and said "Good Morning!" back to me as he drove by.
Another case is while flying in an undeveloped subdivision, there were houses about 2 miles at the back of the subdivision. I was at the front where there were no houses, just the streets. An officer came by and said somebody called in because people were dumping their garbage in the empty lots. When I showed her what I was doing, she said it was fine. She would radio her partners and let them know I was here and that I wasn't dumping garbage. I even let her pick up my Wildcat to show her how light they were. She was amazed. Sometimes all you have to do is educate. She left and said "have a nice time." My point: All you have to do is smile, and talk cordially. She didn't even bother to ask for ID's. And if she did, I would have gladly shown them to her. I've got nothing to hide. Do you???? ;-)
What a great approach to take. A few minutes of civility rather than a moment of "I know my rights". Getting those not in the hobby more involved is a great idea too, as a teacher you probably know many adults are visual learners, and getting their hands on something and seeing how it works is for more valuable than just talking about it. What grade do you teach?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by porcia83
What a great approach to take. A few minutes of civility rather than a moment of "I know my rights". Getting those not in the hobby more involved is a great idea too, as a teacher you probably know many adults are visual learners, and getting their hands on something and seeing how it works is for more valuable than just talking about it. What grade do you teach?
Thank you. I am a semi-retired band director who is now an Teacher's Aide for Special Education, grades 6-8.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Wow...good on you, very impressive! I taught for a year when I finished school. What a tough job that can be. It's really a calling.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:17 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Yes, a bit of courtesy and politeness goes a long way. It's just a shame there are those (on both sides), that abuse their position and "rights".
Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Nothing surprising there. Expect to see "horror" stories very soon as well.

The best part of that link is the response from some of the more level headed folks who say stay calm, follow the officers directions, and do as your told. At least there is something good to take from this. Of course, others will say that's being a coward, or "sheeple", but well..tis better to drive yourself home rather than getting cuffed and stuffed.
Excellent point...plus you avoid being lumped in with the demographic of people who like to go around getting into pissing matches with law enforcement.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

The op in that thread panicked and gave the leo way more info than he needed to give and added more drama in his post than need be. Nothing but a sky-is-falling post.
It is unconstitutional for a leo to pull you aside and ask for your id ,unless you were breaking a law.
Your assertion that it unconstitutional for a law enforcement officer to ask for your ID unless you're breaking the law is 100% false. Police officers have full legal authority to request your ID under many circumstances. For example, your appearance might fit the description of a wanted fugitive and the officer may need to verify who you are. There are other instances where you might not be breaking the law but the cop has legal authority to request your ID.

Whatever the circumstances, you are legally required to comply and the cop is not legally obligated to explain to you why he is requesting your ID. Out of politeness, he SHOULD (circumstances allowing) explain to you why he wants to see your ID if you (politely) challenge the request...however he is not required to do so.

I'm not a cop, but I do have law enforcement members in my family who I care about and I hate to see people spreading misinformation on this topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.