Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The begining.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:13 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The begining.

A fascinating tale. We owe much to her.
http://iq.intel.com/how-hedy-lamarr-...ss-technology/
Old 05-19-2016, 06:31 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent story, I never knew, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM
dirtybird

If you are interested check out wikipedias's much fuller story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr
Actually spread spectrum was proposed by Tesla more than 100 years ago and was written about in a book in the '20s.
But Hedy made the first working model
Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 PM
The Saylors

I've known about this for a while. A lot of the people that got credit for things way back when were really just the ones that were better at business and securing patents rather than inventing. Its funny you mention Tesla because he was one of the biggest victims of that kind of situation IMO. He was the inventor of the majority of the prototype inventions that are common today, and yet, he died alone and poor while others lived like kings. He may not have been a woman like Ms Lamarr, which made even everyday things like owning property or having rights impossible, but its still disturbing none the less. Very sad world. It may be a hundred years too late but these people deserve our respect, especially since they didn't get it in the first place.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I was aware of Ms. Lamarr's contribution and am very positively Impressed with her mind as well as her beauty. Tesla was a genius, right up there with Einstein. One of his contributions was a system on broadcasting electricity through that air just like radio waves, making it either free or damned cheap. But the power companies somehow thwarted any effort to bring that innovation to the public. How would all of you guys and gals like for your electricity to be free?
Old 05-21-2016, 05:46 AM
dirtybird

I was fortunate to get within 20 feet of her at the Hollywood Canteen in the summer of 1945. Her beauty was genuine.Not like some of the others I met during those days.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 AM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
One of his contributions was a system on broadcasting electricity through that air just like radio waves, making it either free or damned cheap. But the power companies somehow thwarted
It was just like when a guy invented a complex rotary carburetor that made a v-8 run in the 100 mpg area but the gasoline companies swooped in and silenced the inventor with money and the patent was never seen again and all of the prototypes taken. There isn't much money in progress apparently.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by The Saylors
It was just like when a guy invented a complex rotary carburetor that made a v-8 run in the 100 mpg area but the gasoline companies swooped in and silenced the inventor with money and the patent was never seen again and all of the prototypes taken. There isn't much money in progress apparently.
I feel sorry for you if you really believe that.
It is not hard to make a carburetor that will give you 100mpg at a slow speed.
The problem gets more complex when you need it to operate at all speeds the car can go.
If you check the US patent office for carburetors,you will find all kinds of complex carburetors. listed. You won't find anyway not tried.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 AM
The Saylors

Thanks for the put down, really needed that today. done with this thread now