Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Coverite 21st Century Fabric covering

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Coverite 21st Century Fabric covering

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Hiyyosil
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverite 21st Century Fabric covering

What is the real story on using this covering?? I been told it doesn't stick well, the glue is 'thin' and pulls apart on the edges,
it doesn't work well around curves, etc.

I'm trying to decide with what to cover my new Super Cub and I thought 21st Century Fabric was the answer...maybe not.

Any input would be appreciated....
Old 06-04-2016, 05:45 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sticks to itself just fine. Compound curves are tricky, but nothing on a Cub is tricky. You will be happy with it, and its very strong. You will need a sharp exacto to cut it. Its a little cheaper than Solartex and has that fabric look. You will like it.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:23 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

21st Century Fabric used to be my favorite fabric covering. It shrinks so well that it does tend to pull from the edges. If you leave plenty of overlap, you'll be fine.

If you are concerned about adhesion, an application of Balsarite will alleviate your fears.

These days, I've switched to Solartex. It is easier to apply, but the colored varieties should be clear coated to make the covering easier to clean.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing about it is the look of silk and dope finish.

Frank
Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I switched to Solartex and never looked back. It goes on easy, does not sag and I have painted it with Latex paints. May cost a little more, but so worth it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-19-2016, 04:21 AM
Rodney

Same as Dave, now use Solartex or Ceconite anytime I need a fabric covering. Solartex is so much easier to apply than Coverite, especially on compound surfaces. If you do not mind the extra work of sealing and painting, Ceconite is the most realistic (it is the real thing used on many planes) of all.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rodney
Same as Dave, now use Solartex or Ceconite anytime I need a fabric covering. Solartex is so much easier to apply than Coverite, especially on compound surfaces. If you do not mind the extra work of sealing and painting, Ceconite is the most realistic (it is the real thing used on many planes) of all.
Rodney, that's the real differentiator in my opinion. If you do not want to seal or paint your model after covering, use Coverite. I use it on sport models where I'd like a fabric-like finish. I use Solartex on my scale models that have fabric covered rubber, elevators and ailerons.

For the best finish on a fully fabric covered scale model, I use Sig Koverall and dope.

To each his own.

Bill

Last edited by FLAPSDOWN; 06-20-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM
TomCrump

[QUOTE=FLAPSDOWN;12226277
For the best finish on a fully fabric covered scale model, I use Sig Coverall and dope.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Why and how is Koverall the best ?
Old 06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Why and how is Koverall the best ?
TomCrump, Koverall has the most scale like finish when sealed and painted with Nitrate dope, again, in my opinion. I'd use silk but it simply isn't as easy to apply as Koverall. I use Solartex on giant scale fabric covered rudder, elevators and ailerons and paint them with Klass Kote after priming.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FLAPSDOWN
TomCrump, Koverall has the most scale like finish when sealed and painted with Nitrate dope, again, in my opinion. I'd use silk but it simply isn't as easy to apply as Koverall. I use Solartex on giant scale fabric covered rudder, elevators and ailerons and paint them with Klass Kote after priming.

Solartex is much easier to apply, and doesn't require the weave to be filled. It requires no primer, and once painted, you can't tell the difference between it and Koverall.. That's why many prefer it.