Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tryin' to do it all?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Any wisdom in tryin' to do it all?

Is it possible to do it all and still maintain sanity? - regarding aviation that is... Call it what you will: all-around, multi-tasking, multi-faceted, multi-talented, having too many irons in the fire, biting off more than you can chew, covering too broad a spectrum, being pulled in too many directions at once, having way too much to do, not having enough to do, not enough honey-dos, needing another hobby like you need a hole in the head, drowning in airplanes, mid-life crisis, and so on.

Not intended to come across as a braggard thread as I don't do it all really, e.g. I haven't any experience with pulse jets, turbines, dynamic soaring, control line speed, rat racing, slope soaring, free flight duration, MR's, cannot perform 3D or the entire stunt pattern, and on and on... but was wondering if others are in a similar situation. Trying to sort of psychoanalyze the trait and if it is evidence of a case of ADHD or the like.

I realize at this point that I can't name all the SIG's recognized by the AMA but my interest in the hobby has me spending time with all sorts of specific interests ranging from small rockets, 1/2A R/C, C/L, F/F (limited to hand launch gliders), giant scale (IMAC), pattern, pylon, scale, sport, heli, sailplanes, 2 stroke and 4 stroke glow, electric, gas, low, shoulder, high wing, bipes, R/O to multi-channel radios, seaplanes, and all the support/shop equipment that goes with them all. At one time was even involved in full scale flight (a hobby in itself) but either I failed to obtain my Private rating or it failed to maintain my desire.

Really, I consider myself a sport flier with a varied interest when all is said and done (because I don't participate in contests outside an occasional local or club competition) but wondering if the majority of individuals involved in the hobby find one or a couple branches of interest and focus on them rather than trying to juggle multiple interests. Also interested in those that may have been involved in multiple aspects of the hobby and perhaps downsized to simplify their lifestyle.

Last edited by H5606; 07-05-2016 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:37 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it makes you happy who cares? I do a lot of different things but not everything. I would like to do some FF, but no one around here I know does to learn the details. I do some scale contests and might do a pattern one, but I am more interested in the airplanes. I do like flying at the contests even if I come in last. I like planes form the 70's-80's from my first time in the hobby and I like engines and radios. I like old stuff too.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:27 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

As long as it's safe and legal, do it all as much and as long as you can. YOLO ! Experiences and memories are forever.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:17 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If an individual is involved in more than a couple aspects of the hobby, is there a point of diminishing returns? IOW, I guess the thing that really sticks out in my mind is how to devote the time necessary to address all the maintenance related issues that come about when involved with several endeavors within the hobby and is there a point at which one finds it is no longer fun...

When you leave one aspect to take on another, you forget what's going on with the one you left momentarily or do you? Thinking a dry-erase board listing all your aircraft with columns used to keep abreast of status and issues needing attention as would be found in say a business type environment might be required. Anyone do something like this?
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like adult ADHD