Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Puppetry help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:34 AM
divisionten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Puppetry help?

I'm not sure where I should post this-here or robotics, so here goes.

I'm a volunteer performer for kid's charities and events, and I make costumes and perform in them. One of the ones I've made has a large robot strapped to my back, which I currently control via cable puppetry, and its voice is provided by a second performer talking into their cell phone from a distance away, with the receiver inside the robot's mouth. I know there has to be a better way of doing this.

I was hoping to make the robot head remote controlled, so the person who's speaking for said robot could also move the mouth themselves (p and down only, or turn the head left and right. No other movements on the robot are needed. If you're familiar with video games at all, the character is Clank from Ratchet and Clank. I figure a two directional RC would be enough, one servo opening and closing the mouth, and the other turning the neck axis so the head can move left and right. At the absolute very least, I want the mouth movement RC so the person speaking can control it themselves.

This is basically all I know, I'm very out of my depth here. Do any of you have advice for a complete RC newbie? I can post photos of the puppet so you can see where the current support beams are inside him- running horizontally directly through the head is one beam that when turned clockwise or counter opens and closes the mouth. Another PVC beam runs from the top of the head all the way through the robot, and when it is rotated clockwise or counter, the head moves left and right. The beams meet in the center of the head, barely touch, but the friction is not enough to affect the movements of each of the other PVC pipes.

I do have power tools, and can drill and soldier.

Thank you again for your help and time,
Sara
Old 08-08-2016, 12:04 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

a lot of good ideas here:

https://issuu.com/kimundo/docs/2_eas...025808003afed6
Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

HAH! Clank would be pretty neat as a puppet! I put SO many hours onto Ratchet and Clank 3. Keep us updated!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:21 PM
divisionten

Originally Posted by collector1231
HAH! Clank would be pretty neat as a puppet! I put SO many hours onto Ratchet and Clank 3. Keep us updated!
Clank is already made, actually. I'm trying to retrofit in something RC.

Several people have mentioned I should just put in an RC car rather than making something custom, but I don't know what I should be buying- or how to charge it when it dies, since it would be mounted in the head of the puppet.

http://tay.kinja.com/cosplazy-remote-control-help-1784976445
Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Check servocity.com they have all kinds of servoos and actuators that can be used with the radios they sell....