Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How dead is our industry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
Great photos! The Wot-4 form and shape strikes me similar to the American Ugly Stik (very popular). I like that style landing gear. The Mark 3 reminds me of my American Senior Falcon. Great finishing job. How did you arrive at that? silk? paint?
Off-cuts of film!

The main difference between the WOT4s and the Ugly Stiks is that the WOT 4s have a foam veneered wing and sheet balsa fuselages while the Stiks wings and fuselage are built up. At 54" wingspan they are also smaller than the Stiks and like the Stiks they are available as an ARTF these days.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-15-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well since taking a fresh look at R/C in 30yrs, I am seeing the culture has completely changed. The more I learn, the more it makes perfect sense. I have not tried electric or ARF's or any of the new electronic gear. I guess it is only natural that all things come to pass. I do plan to visit the large R/C and C/L event at Triple Tree SC in May 2019. They have realized that many R/C-ers got their start in C/L and they now have 3 C/L circles. I was an avid C/L flyer when I was young so the people I find there will be interesting

Control Line Circles : Triple Tree Aerodrome

Click image for larger version

Name:	43890778825_80c0887e62_o.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	2262002
Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 PM
cmartin3977

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its not dead

You just have to find the right club. You have to offer more than what your local club has to offer. Be different , be entertaining. Also you need to have an active FB page that shows the fun, the carnage. Here is a typical turnout when we have a get together at our private field....
Old 11-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I left the hobby in 2012 after a 24 year run, sold/gifted/trashed 70+ kits, 30 airframes, a dozen radios, enough balsa and ply to stock three old-time hobby shops, a ton of engines and assorted gear - took 18 months to get rid of it all. I tried to go back this year. Not much to go back to. Maybe 20% of the active membership of a decade ago, mostly flying electric foamies for 4 minutes at a charge. One die-hard scale builder, flying 20-30cc gassers. NOBODY under the age of 50 at the field. The only newbie in the club is learning to fly because he wants to have a hobby when he retires - next year....

The fellowship of builders, designers, and tinkerers is pretty well gone. No craftsmen left. Just a few guys playing with toys. Heartbreaking.

I disposed of the stuff I'd gathered to return to the hobby, and moved on. Now I'm enjoying several aspects of the shooting sports - shooting, modifying guns, and enjoying the company of like-minded people. Very similar to the heyday of my R/C modeling adventure, without the crashes......

Best wishes to all,

Trent (Teachu2 a decade ago)
Old 11-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I started C/L when I was 12. It was 1/2A plastic ready built models on 30ft strings. The year was 1964. Things progressed steadily to the point of 35cc/36x balsa kits on 60ft braided steel cables. I built and flew a LOT of different models, but I must say my favorite was the Ringmaster. So, long story short, I have glow fuel in my blood.

I made a slow transition to R/C, years 1970 through 1980. The slow transition was due to financial budgeting

I left R/C in 1995. At that point I had finished about 40 solo flights. Twenty on a high with trainer. Twenty on a low wing tail drag-er. When I put R/C behind me I thought I was finished. In 2018, I bought a .60cc glow engine and some R/C items. I gave no thought to the industry. It is just something I wanted. As I drilled-down online I found the hobby had changed significantly. It took me some time to mentally adjust to this but now that I have studied it I now have a good perspective of what is going on and what is not going on

I recently visited a local large scale meet and enjoyed it very much. They were flying large gassers and one large electric.

Click on photo to see more
R/C Sodbusters<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 11-03-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:52 PM
phildo

Hey Lee, Did you ever up and running with your re-entry to RC? I hope you kept at it. I feel its good to leave a hobby for a while and focus on other things in life, lest you get stale with it. I enjoy RC when I can, I have motorbikes and more recently have really taken to E-mountain bikes. All of them are great fun. Spoilt for choice!
Old 11-25-2019, 07:15 AM
strut

I regularly flew R/C planes at a Seattle park that I walked to. A busy family life made me hang-up my planes for a while (just before drones came out). I promised myself I'd fly again as I approached retirement. Yesterday, I saw a sign in a city park that stated ALL R/C flying was illegal in ALL city parks. Couple that with the FAA requirements for R/C flying in my area and all the pleasure of the hobby has been sucked out for me. I'm sad. I envy you guys that live in the wide open spaces.

Last edited by strut; 11-25-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that, strut. They really put the hammer down on ya out there, huh? You can`t even fly a little UMX foamy anywhere?
Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 AM
strut

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
You can`t even fly a little UMX foamy anywhere?
Seattle Municipal Code
18.12.265 - Motorized models.
It is unlawful to operate any motorized model aircraft or motorized model watercraft in any park . . .

Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Get your mates to build a dozen of these. They haven't got a motor, big bungee and you'll be fine.