Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RC software ideas - giving back

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC software ideas - giving back

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 AM
MartijnVos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb RC software ideas - giving back

Hello everybody!

I've been a (lurking) member of the RC community for quite a few years now.

Thanks to all the experiences shared on the forums I'm enjoying my cars to the fullest (Maverick Strada TC brushless, Traxxas Rustler VXL and Arrma Typhon 6s).
I realize how valuable sharing knowledge is and would love to make it easier to make an informed purchase decision.
With my background in Software Engineering I'm sure there's a way to make this happen!

Currently I'm thinking of creating a crowdsourced comparison website that dives deeper than just specs.
What are weak points of the RC model? Are there hopups/customizations that have proven to be beneficial? What are some common gotchas with the model?
These are questions I'd like to answer.

I'm sure you all have an opinion or ideas about this which I'd love to hear!
Do you think this has a future? Would you yourself be interested in using the site?
Other ideas for specific software are, of course, also greatly appreciated.I'm looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions.

Martijn
Old 10-07-2019, 06:16 AM
zedorda

I would find it very useful but wonder how you would validate "proven to be beneficial" upgrades? Because alot of them the user believes works great but in reality it does so little or actually hurts performance/durability in some other way.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:06 PM
MartijnVos

Thank you for voicing your concern. I certainly understand your stance and it would definitely be a problem if too little people chimed in.
I was thinking about picking an average 'score' if you will.

Also, these examples are just that: examples. I have not thought about this extensively and it might not be smart to incorporate this.
This post is mostly meant to gather ideas and opinions.
There's nothing set in stone yet.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

You need to speak to modelers in your area, shooting from the hip will waste your time. Hopups and customization is quite common with models and the industry is generally made up of modelers.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:46 AM
MartijnVos

Originally Posted by donnyman
You need to speak to modelers in your area, shooting from the hip will waste your time. Hopups and customization is quite common with models and the industry is generally made up of modelers.
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately the hobby scene in my area is quite stagnant, which is why I decided to try my luck in forums.
These are all just idea's and should not be taken as facts. I'm just looking for use cases where software could make our RC lives easier.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:57 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MartijnVos
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately the hobby scene in my area is quite stagnant, which is why I decided to try my luck in forums.
These are all just idea's and should not be taken as facts. I'm just looking for use cases where software could make our RC lives easier.
I understand, it appears from the software side you would do better in the 3d printing arena. many scale components are needed for all sorts of models. ..................... good luck!