Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fillers for Refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 07:16 AM
slindsay

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fillers for Refinishing

What fillers are you using during the sanding process prior to paint or covering materials? I have to admit I didn't spend much time sanding during a restoration of an old AstroHog but I'm seeing signs of imperfections during the MonoKote covering process. That's OK, I'm not going to start over at this point. For some of my future projects I would like to do a better job.

Thanks,
Sherm
Old 08-22-2020, 01:18 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to use balsa wood fillers sold through hobbico but now I use just regular Elmers wood filler which I bought at a big box store.
Good Luck
Michael
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 PM
slindsay

Thanks I'll check that out.

I've used fillers from the big box stores before. I think I'm not getting it wet enough. Once I get it to stick and dry out good it is easy to sand but sometime it will fall out during sanding process. I will look for the Elmer's brand.

sherm
Old 08-23-2020, 10:54 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Use "light spackle". Available in the paint dept at HomeDepot, Lowes or hardware stores that sell paint. It's the small tub(about the size of a yogurt cup) that's about $3-$4 and feels empty. It's very light, and very sandable. It's very similar to the Hobbico light filler.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:08 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i usally put on thick and let it dry and then sand it. you might have to apply it until you get the thickness you need!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:24 PM
slindsay

I have some spackle but it doesn't say light. It's also kinda old. LOL When using it do you keep it damp or should it be wet like a soft paste?

sherm
Old 08-24-2020, 06:32 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Fresh spackle goes on like "fresh spackle". which should be smooth... If it's a tad hard, mist it with some water and it might freshen it a little bit. If I need spackle, I just spend $4 and go buy it and use what I need. If it's questionable next time I open it, I just buy more. It's cheap Honestly, I rarely need it though.

When your in the store, pick up the tubs and feel the difference in them. The light stuff will feel empty. Always build light when you can. I stay away from putty.. it's heavy. To each his own though.
The following users liked this post:
slindsay (08-24-2020)