Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
$30 for UAS registration!!!! >

$30 for UAS registration!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

$30 for UAS registration!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $30 for UAS registration!!!!

I am trying to register my newly built RC plane on FAA.gov/dronezone (I have completed the TRUST course). They want $30. Is that for real? If it is, that's outrages.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by model14
I am trying to register my newly built RC plane on FAA.gov/dronezone (I have completed the TRUST course). They want $30. Is that for real? If it is, that's outrages.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

It says here that registration costs $5 , , , , are you SURE your not at some third party website that wants to charge you $30 to "help you register" ????
Old 08-19-2022, 01:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

And, the FAA's site registration tab, , , , this is where you'll actually register.......

https://faadronezone-access.faa.gov/#/

Old 08-19-2022, 02:10 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do not register individual airframes if you are strictly a modeler. You register yourself and apply the same number to all your aircraft.

If you are a commercial operator the rules are different and you have to register individual aircraft.

Rafael
Old 08-19-2022, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it done for $5, thanks. I must have inadvertently clicked on the Commercial use registration requirement.
I did note that next year we are going to have to put an active identifying device on our planes. Was I reading that correctly?
Old 08-19-2022, 05:57 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

yes, and no:

yes you read it right,
however,
such devices do not yet exist, and may be a good while further down the road before they do,
or not.
we just have to wait and see.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:17 AM

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by model14
Got it done for $5, thanks. I must have inadvertently clicked on the Commercial use registration requirement.
I did note that next year we are going to have to put an active identifying device on our planes. Was I reading that correctly?
Recreational flyer means just that. Read the fine print. Using a camera to take beautiful videos of nature and putting them on your monetized YouTube channel IS NOT recreational. Flying beyond line-of-site IS NOT recreational.
Also, don't bet on RID devices not being available next year. There will be plenty. But you don't have to have one if you fly at an FAA approved site. Join a club and fly there. While it may not be an "FAA approved site" yet you are less likely to be harassed by the police than if you are flying at a school playground or public park.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:16 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Recreational flyer means just that. Read the fine print. Using a camera to take beautiful videos of nature and putting them on your monetized YouTube channel IS NOT recreational. Flying beyond line-of-site IS NOT recreational.
Also, don't bet on RID devices not being available next year. There will be plenty. But you don't have to have one if you fly at an FAA approved site. Join a club and fly there. While it may not be an "FAA approved site" yet you are less likely to be harassed by the police than if you are flying at a school playground or public park.
Partially why we model builder/flyers got lumped in with the "drones" crowd. The FAA can suck a gut, not registering anything with them, and neither do any of the club members I fly with. We are out in the country and no one gives two Schiznits what or how we fly since we stay in our LOS area and enjoy ourselves with NO one anywhere around. Last time any law enforcement came around was, never, at least not in a law enforcement way. We have had a couple stop by to watch and shoot the schiznit with us. One actually became a member not too much later.