Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Young Instructors

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Young Instructors

Started teaching at 13. Now I'm 21 and mostly the, I guess you could say "advanced" instructor. I train people how to fine tune their skills, help with aerobatics or scale flight, etc.

Never had any disrespect issues.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:06 PM
sypherus

You may be a great instructor but you could use some attitude adjustment. Keep in mind that you fly they don't. That should be enough satisfaction for your ego. My 11 & 12 year olds are being taught by an instructor from the hobby strore where I bought each of them a Superstar 40. He is an excellent instructor evidenced by how fast they are learning. I on the other hand would be a terrible instructor since I would be sympathetic to problems I encountered and short tempered over things I consider to be obvious. Get the chip off your shoulder and feel sympathy for newbies who don't use your valuable talents and cocentrate on helping those that do.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Jimmbbo

I left my youth in Vietnam, but I appreciate your situation.

I was building time to get my "real flying job" by doing flight instruction at the local airport. I learned more about flying and people becase of my instructing than I could have doing anything else. I believe you will take a great deal from your instructing, both technically and personally.

Lotsa people can fly. A few can teach. Those who can do both are rare...

Best,

Jim
Old 11-08-2003, 08:58 PM
iflynething

Oh, man..........I could really do on and on about this subject.....well I really couldn't but I just have to say my 25 cents......lol.....But seriously, Cessna 172, I'm 14 now, have been flying for about 2 1/2 years and have wanted to instruct, but you know as the new instructors say, "I don't want to crash their plane." I know that people will say then I shouldn't teach newcomers. But, if you know where I'm comin from then you'll know what I mean. Well, just like well I couldn't find the name, but someone said in this post that don't you have to hate it when you are young and don't have the money to buy new things. Well, they said something like that. Well, I have to definitely agree. I would love to instruct, but if I don't have the money to buy myself a new plane (I usually just wait for someone to crash, see if they will give their plane to me, and then rebuild it) then how will I buy a plane for somone else. I'm saying, if I crash their plane, it would be polite to offer to buy another plane or just repair it. But, I know that most wouldn't make me do that. Just because of how nice people are in this hobby. But, I hope you see what I'm saying. I'm really scared to teach for the thought of crashing the student's plane.
Well, next is I have to agree about what Pjtg0707 said. I almost totally agree with him. You might can tell someone how to fly their plane, but you have to also "teach" them to fly it. I mean, my club, when I started I got a little folder on what I was going to learn. Stall turns, figure 8s, the pattern, left right going away and towards you, you know.....that kind of stuff. So, if I were to become a teacher, then I could teach the student the basics, but I realy couldn't adjust the carbeurator (that how you spell it????), it minor adjustments to the control throw and stuff. And another thing about the instructor, when you help fly someone's plane, then you are in control of the plane when they lose control. And usually when you have to take the control, the usual time that you have to do this is when they are in a position that they can't get out of. So, the expect you to get their plane out of it.
WOW..........I don't know, I guess that wasn't my 25 cents........I'm thinking about 75. But, neways, I hope that in whatever you do Cessna172, that you have fun. And of course this is what this hobby is all about; fun and friendship. Also a place to get away from everything else in life So you are doing incredible. HOPE YOU HAVE FUN WITH YOU U_CAN_DO. I'm hopeing to get something like that....and Extra or somehting.........Happy Flying.........
Old 11-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

can you use your remaning change to add some more spaces, that was a hard read...

as an instructor you normaly have the responsibility of crashing taken away from you.. the student has to realise that you have more control than them, and if they get it in a bad posistion and you can't save it, well at least it had a better chance than just them alone.
I normaly see the trouble coming and take it back before it's too late, but i did crash one a while ago after the student screwed up his touch and go, coming back out deep into the stall heading towards the pits on engine power at all, i had no choice but to put it down ASAP, broke it's back. not a hard fix.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:33 PM
EagleOne

ORIGINAL: ekrcflyer

Cessna172:

Here is a related story.
I went to my kid’s PTC at his 2nd grade and his teacher was complaining that he can not tie his shoelaces “at his age”. I looked at her and said: “you know, but he now already knows how to clean-up his computer, do simple maintenance and install/remove software….” She looked at me like probably somebody looks at you when you offering your instructor’s assistance.
Don’t pay attention to these people; keep doing what you like to do. There always “snobs” and people who will consider themselves a center of the universe (mostly out of their own ignorance).
You doing good thing, that’s what counts.

Good luck!!!
This resambles a little with my life........

Well, when I was on the 2nd grade, I couldn't tie my shoelaces either, but I had figured on my own how to do decimal multiplication and division, when all the other "kids" (i was a kid at that time...hehehe) in the class had difficulty doing normal subtraction......Now I am 15 and have acomplished several things that people consider ahead of my age........

Just think that Albert Einstein didn't take good grades at school....

So, don't care about what others say (I took a ling time to learn this lesson.....) just do what you want. Respect will come with time, as several people said here in this thread, when they see you doing your thing, they will start respecting you. Just act normally, don't get any angry and do childish stuff to the people that didn't respect you, just ignore them...

Just my 2 cents