Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
 More on Another Local Hobby Shop Bites the Dust. >

More on Another Local Hobby Shop Bites the Dust.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

More on Another Local Hobby Shop Bites the Dust.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More on Another Local Hobby Shop Bites the Dust.

i had 1 problem. it took 1 month to get a part for my engine. then i bust it.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:29 PM

Gee, I just wish I had a LHS to support.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:38 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mom and pop think they can charge $10, $20, $30, $40 or $50 more for the same item, plus add sales tax, but it won't be noticed??

Ingenious business platform to open a store....to cater to those who are deaf, dumb, blind, and independently wealthy. What a surprise when they can't make it.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:50 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps if sales tax were charged on internet purchases the playing field would be more equal.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:10 PM

Mom and Pop may only have a club or two whose members may frequent the shop and has a more self-serving interest in not growing and therefore bringing in much more needed newcomer customers, than doing so. After all, who wants tons of more newbies to have to train? Whereas the Internet gets to reach and sell to millions of people all over the world. How can any LHS owner expect to make a decent living selling to only a handful of local club members?

nascarjoe
Old 11-16-2003, 01:58 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bakes65

I'm saddened to report that my favorite LHS went "toes up".

It is my belief that he was the victim of mail order and internet commerce syndrome. This is a serious malady whereas the hobbyist is so enamored with the convenience and the allure of tax free shopping that he totally neglects the LHS and no longer continues to support that LHS fiscally. That LHS finally succumbs to the economic pressure when the bills aren't getting paid and he's two months behind on the rent. Uh-oh.

Next thing you know, he's having a going out of business sale. And that's when all the vultures converge and get great deals on stuff because this guy's forced to close his doors. The thing that really infuriates me is they'll shake the proprietors hand and say how sorry they are to see him forced out of business as they're handing him two twenty dollar bills for an engine with a retail value of $129.[:@]

My point is this people. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP! That guy that owns the joint didn't do it to get rich. (Have you EVER seen a rich hobby shop owner?! I haven't.)He did it for the same reasons you and I fly. It was a dream of his, a passion, he was an enthusiast that just wanted to take it to the next level. His main reasons for opening a hobby shop were to share and encourage those same dreams and passions with others, to promote this wonderful hobby. And, hopefully, to support himself and family as well. God bless him for trying.

Don't want to pay retail? Don't! Every Hobby shop I do business with will match mail order prices. I've got one now that beats mail order by 10%! (Saves me the tax doesn't it?) Don't be afraid to ask either. That proprietor knows that: 1.) You work hard for your $$$. and 2.) You can buy it cheaper on-line. He doesn't want to see you buy it from Horizon or Tower or any of the others. He wants/needs your $$$ to support his business/family. And when you don't support him, it's inevitable that he'll go "toes up" before too long as well. Then when you bust a motor mount in your plane or need a couple of props, where you gonna go? Now you get to wait four or five days and pay astronomical shipping charges for your twenty dollar order. Think about it.

I'll get off my soap-box now. If you've read this far, thanks for letting me vent. If you agree/disagree with the contents, add a reply so we can keep this thread on the first page!
I do mail order because I hate to pay sales tax, but instead of blaming guys like me, why not blame the leacherous governments that feel the need to bleed you dry so they can fund their next social experiment. I try to minimize all of my tax payments as much as possible, and that includes sales tax. I am tired of funding some leftist pinko redistribution of wealth scheme. Don't even get me started on property tax.....

Todd
Old 11-16-2003, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Another Local Hobby Shop Bites the Dust.

Something we as a club recently did in conjuction with two of the local hobby shops in our areas . the shops donated a trainer each and we as a club are using them to offer introductory flights at no charge. That was if one of the shops customers is interested in RC but not sure if they will like it enough to fork over the approx $400 to get set up, they can come to our field and get some stick time in before they buy. It works great for parents who are not sure about spending the bucks on thier kids when it may not be something they are really interested in. Give them a chance to find out.

Terry
Old 11-19-2003, 04:40 PM
My Feedback: (3)

"The best prices can only be found on the 'net"
"The best source for information is the internet"
"There is no sales tax on internet purchases"
"Buying on Ebay is completely safe"

Thank God (or Al Gore, I forget which) for the internet. Saving us from local merchants that only want to rip us off and collect taxes for our evil Governments. All the time getting filthy rich on us.

"ALL" of the above is not "ALWAYS" true.

I support my Local Hobby Shop (170 mile round trip). I would never buy from a fellow RC'er or at a swap meet, or take advantage of an internet special. Tower, Horizon, Hobby People, etc. - Who needs 'em?

And that's the truth!

.............BTW <whisper> "that check is in the mail" <whisper>

Seriously though, I do support my LHS and he supports me and my club. I always give him a crack at whatever I'm looking to buy (most of the time gets the sale). And, sometimes he looks at me and says "you should buy that from them, I can't touch it!" He works hard to get and keep my business.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I have always shopped at my LHS which is only 10 minutes away, heck I helped him get the thing started as he was doing it out of his bike shop. He has grown quite big and with it some problems. some things are way out of line in the pricing and just the other day I went in to get some stuff and his supply was very slim and his manager is ready to flip as he won't order what is needed. One thing I needed was a round fuel tank and heck he barely had any of all shapes. Many of us have tried to put the bug in his ear but he won't listen and I sure hope he isn't cutting his own throat. Yes I will still go there and get my stuff frustrating as it is.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the late 70's I thought about the LHS, of which there were several, and the mail order discounters. I decided that I would spend $300 a year at my LHS and the rest goes to the discounter. I figured my gesture to the LHS's was going to cost me about $150 a year, but worth it.

I'm living in a million plus marketing area. Five shops have folded in the last five years, and left one full service ship, a mostly non-airplane shop, and a couple of HobbyTowns. It's 40 miles one way to the full service shop. Another shop has opened recently, also 40 miles away. I overheard the owner make the statement on the phone to a supplier that he was turning over 10-15% of his stock a week. I suspect he is making a living, and he has some other business as well.

I do mail order stuff, or buy it when I'm somewhere else. For example, no shop in my area stocks contest-grade balsa.

Jim