Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Propeller Safety Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 03:52 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Propeller Safety Reminder

Hope it doesn't cut into your sex life to much.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:09 PM
BaronSchwab

There is NEVER enough SAFETY with spinning props.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:07 AM
sedunster
My Feedback: (2)

jimlynn,

I am glad I wasn't hurt that badly. Thank you for the pictures. They help make a point that no words can. I hope you heal well and quickly. (Side note, what part of Pittsburgh are you from? I grew up in Irwin, PA)

This was the main reason I originally posted this topic. If you have not been bitten by a propeller, the energy and force contained in that little package just doesn't make an impact on you. (no pun intended) RESPECT WHAT IT CAN DO TO YOU!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:07 AM
jimlynn

I'm getting the stitches out day after tomorrow (11/13/03) No swelling, no infection, little pain (after the first three days of narcotics induced mental dial-tone behavior)....
I'm looking at a little physical therapy and a slight possibility of corrective surgery in the spring if the tendon's don't heal correctly (they are feeling better every day!).

Gonflyin: That's about how long I calculated. Had to explain it to the doc. He kept wondering why I didn't jerk my hand back after the first couple of slices!

Sedunster: I'm not from here originally, moved here in '75. Live in Beechview, work on North Side, near new stadium (baseball one)
Old 11-12-2003, 01:01 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Jim, I knew those pictures would make you famous The hand looked even scarier in person[X(]
Glad everything is healing up so quickly.
You can always bring a plane out and watch me fly it.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Timex10

I'm new to this. Is it recommended to wear gloves when starting an engine?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 PM
drdenny
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, in my experience of over twenty years, I don't think that gloves are such a good idea. Yes, they might offer some protection, but by the same token, may give you a false sense of security. I have been "bitten" several times because I was not paying enough attention to what I was doing..including just last week when I was bitten by a pusher prop on an electric plane. The bottom line is that you really need to take your time, and be observant of your surroundings. It only takes a split second which can cause you and others pain which is totally preventable. We all need to BE CAREFUL!! Good luck in your new hobby!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Checklst

Great thread and Yes we all need to think safety more. As for me KNOCK ON A WHOLE LOT OF WOOD I have never hit my hands or fingers and I have been doing this since 1980. I did have a APC hit me in my right eye as it was spit off a 4 stroke, man you should have seen the cut damage to my Sun Glasses (safety rated)it still got my cheek,those APC's are sharp and nasty for sure............ I use to only where my glasses when I was starting or flying, and would remove them in the pits when I was talking to people, I just happen to have them on as I was coming off the flight line,......NOW I WEAR them always.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Checklst

Opps
Old 10-28-2006, 05:35 PM
saleens7

even though drdenny said that gloves arent as good as they seem, you can fashoin some that will protect you a LOT more than regular gloves....being an airboater...(not a flyer), it still has the same safety issues....what i would do to make a glove that will protect your hand, and the prop too, is to wrap a glove in 1" thick insulation foam...wrap it around the glove w/ the fingers closed, dont wrap each finger individually, if you do, your fingers will have a 2 inch gap between eachother, and it get very uncompfortable like that. so wrap it around the whole glove and then epoxy (no superglue, melts foam) a 1/4" thick rubber lining around it....the foam will absorb the impact, while the rubber will keep it from slicing through the foam and to your hand....it also protects the prop too..

this is only good for starting....it will not let you adjust the carb or anything else due to limited hand movement...also, i dont think it will protect you from the prop at 1/2 or full throttle, it will be moving with enough momentum and speed to just cut through the rubber

hope this helps....never tested it, but it should work...

PS, use thick rubber, not the light, easily cut, rubber....
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM
drdenny

I did not say that they aren't as good as they seem...I said that they might offer some protection, but could be a false sense of security. We are working with aircraft here, not boats. It would be way too combersome to try and put all of that padding on your hands when you are trying to get the aircraft flight ready.

ORIGINAL: saleens7

even though drdenny said that gloves arent as good as they seem, you can fashoin some that will protect you a LOT more than regular gloves....being an airboater...(not a flyer), it still has the same safety issues....what i would do to make a glove that will protect your hand, and the prop too, is to wrap a glove in 1" thick insulation foam...wrap it around the glove w/ the fingers closed, dont wrap each finger individually, if you do, your fingers will have a 2 inch gap between eachother, and it get very uncompfortable like that. so wrap it around the whole glove and then epoxy (no superglue, melts foam) a 1/4" thick rubber lining around it....the foam will absorb the impact, while the rubber will keep it from slicing through the foam and to your hand....it also protects the prop too..

this is only good for starting....it will not let you adjust the carb or anything else due to limited hand movement...also, i dont think it will protect you from the prop at 1/2 or full throttle, it will be moving with enough momentum and speed to just cut through the rubber

hope this helps....never tested it, but it should work...

PS, use thick rubber, not the light, easily cut, rubber....
Old 10-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Timex10

I'm new to this. Is it recommended to wear gloves when starting an engine?
Only if you use your fingers[X(] Which by the way is not a wise thing to do.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Start it and then get behind it. That's the only safe way.

A few years ago our club had built and installed starting tables over the winter. First time I was using one I was at the field with a friend. We both wanted to tune our engines before flying (it was the first warm April day). I started mine and he did the same about 10 feet to my left. I don't have a rechargable glow starter, and I was gathering up my field box from the ackward spot I had it balanced to use the battery when suddenly I was sprayed with blood. I wear glasses and couldn't see out of my right lens! I'd wrassled with a chainsaw years ago and I know shock and nerve damage can keep you from feeling the initial hit, so I backed up and dropped my box and started to flip my hands to see what I'd done. Then my friend sat down hard on the ground in front of his plane. He'd reached through HIS prop and I caught the spray. 21 stitches for him and four hours later I drove back in the dark to retrieve our equipment.

Turns out he'd started his plane and set his NiCad glow starter on the table behind the upright wing supports. As he was running the throttle up he noticed the glow starter rolling towards him under the fuselage and, to keep it from rolling off the starting table, reached for it . . . through the prop.

Only takes 1/10 of a second of forgetfullness or inattention.

Back in ny early flight days we started the little 0.049 and 0.15 engines by hand flipping or with counter-wind spring starters behind the props. I've got 35 year old scars from some of those little motors. More hurt friom the knuckle rap than the cut, but it got your atention.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Flyboy BigK

I know the feeling there,
luckily when I made my slipup my engine was still in idle and
the prop, (which happened to be APC), only caught the tip of
my little finger took off a bit of my fingernail and kind of split
it. Though the impact of it busted open my finger.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM
air mail rcu

We also have starting tables at our field. They are only big enough for the plane. Everything else is to be set on the ground. One day a friend was starting his plane and I was standing to the side about 15 feet away talking to another friend. I noticed that the man starting his plane had his Tx on the table beside the running motor. Before I could say anything to him he reached for the radio. 34 stitches later we took some pictures, it wasn't pretty. Funny thing about 3 months later I saw the same man doing the same thing. This time I was able to say something before we had to go to the hospital again. Some people never learn.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:47 PM
air mail rcu

Here are the pictures. After that would you do the same thing again? I might have to rethink where I put my Tx. This was not me. See previous post.
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2006, 09:34 PM
rare_bear

yes, you never think it will happen to you until it does.

this is last years result of changing procedure 1 time out of 1000 times of starting an engine:

click [link=http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/50545/Wu59785.jpg]here[/link] and [link=http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/50545/Us53083.jpg]here[/link]

my startup box is one of those kind that has legs and a bench that folds out. i normally would pull the glow plug off and set it on top of the bench (which put my arm about 6-8 inches from the prop. one time, i did not have the legs put up so the bench was on the ground. started the engine, followed the same procedure as if on autopilot and put my whole arm right into the prop. it sure was good that it was only at idle - had it been any faster, i really would have had a mess on my hands.

safety - safety - safety
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
mtucker

Here is some damage done by an electric powered RC plane. The owner had picked the plane up and started walking back when he accidentally hit the throttle stick. I didn't see it, but I heard it. It didn't sound good. Of course this could have been avoided if an on/off switch was used for the electronic speed control.
It was pretty deep so we wrapped his arm up with strapping tape and took him to the urgent care.

The torque on the big brushless motors is great unless it is chewing through your arm.

Matt
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Here are some better pictures...[:-]

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...81/By76554.jpg

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...81/Id95138.jpg
Old 11-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

You can't remind people to much about this. I have a nice scar on my forearm to remind me. I have been at this since the 50's and am proud to say that I have had very few injuries but it can happen. There is a guy that flies at this one field that reaches around the prop all the time and no amount of warnings helped, well he got it one day and after he was bandaged up guess what???? Yup he still does it, now stupid is as stupid does!!!
Still miss you Artie, Blue skys mah brother!